Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone over here in GT land. I'm wondering if someone might have an idea where I can get my hands on some GT stickers/logos. I got bored one day and stripped down my Peace 9r multi, mostly because I was never a huge fan of the color. I decided to go with a nice satin blue color for the new paint, and I have some ideas on decals that I want to paint on for the new look. The problem is I can't seem to find any of the decals that I want to use.
Does anyone have a resource for old/new GT stickers and logos? they can even just be internet images that I can then bring into Adobe illustrator and play with. Here is a couple pictures of the progress so far.

in primer and ready to go

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually decals and as well as the Peace decal may be hard to find, But GT stickers should be avalible from a local GT dealer. The last ones I got were GT Bicycles in yellow on a black background. maybe 6" long and 1 1/2" tall.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I'll probably scoop up the GT stickers for the downtube on e-bay. I finally found the image I was looking for, for the head tube.

I played with it in photoshop and changed the wings a bit so they will wrap around the head tube a bit better so the wings are on the top tube. Now I just need to find someone to help me turn it into a vector image so I can get some printed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured I would post a little progress here. I kind of had to take things into my own hands and get to know the pen tool in illustrator a bit more. this is what I came up with. What do you guys think of the "peace 9r" thing I came up with?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zed512 said:
Design looks good... not sure on the color
yeah, photobucket seems to have done that for me. it's supposed to be the white background that I used in photoshop when converting the image to a .jpg file for hosting on the web. When I uploaded the picture to photobucket it had a green background.

this is the color I'm currently thinking about, satin finish aqua.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
The GT wings decals never appeared on a GT mountain bike until 2011. Actually not sure they are on the 2011 frames maybe just on some of the parts? They were originally on the BMX bikes back in the 80's and 90's. Kind of wish they had left them on the BMX bikes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The logo with the wings is on the seat clamp that came on my peace 9r. I never got into the BMX bikes back in the day but always loved the GT mtn bikes. I really liked the logo, and think it will look good on the bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am looking to repaint my peace 9 as well. Any chance you would like to share your repaint story in a step by step fashion for me? I am not exactly sure what primer / paint to use. I have been in touch with a decal maker inquiring about making custom decals for me for the peace. I sent them a picture of every decal on the 2010 peace 9 ss including size measurements. I am just waiting to hear back. They already make GT decals and you can get them in a multitude of colors. I'll keep you posted with what I come up with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
things are not going exactly as planned right now. as you all can see the frame was in primer right after being stripped. I just tried laying on some black for the decals to be placed over and one spot on the down tube the paint wouldn't stick. That looked like ass so I sanded it back down, almost to bare metal. I sanded down the whole frame to re-primer to make sure nothing else would go wrong. well, it did. Painting the primer over the little bit of black around the head tube, the primer would just crack up and not sit right. so now I get to sand the head tube area all the way back down to bare metal and start fresh.

the good news is the decals came out great. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
have you thought about powdercoating then have clear coat shot over the stickers? the best my knowledge and i contacted pacific bicycle about this a few years back that the emblems are now and have been quite some time part of the gel coat which is why they dont have replacement stickers now

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
When I was working on a BMX project last year I used a chemical remover. Much quicker and better. I was down to bare metal and cleaning up within an hour. You can pick the stuff up at PepBoys for about $10/can. Aircraft paint remover I believe.

Once the frame is void of paint, wipe it all down to clean it off. Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves so that no oils from your fingers gets on it. I applied several light layers of primer until the whole thing had the equivalent of 2 good coats if you will. I then painted the same way.

You are on the right track. Two things, make sure you shake the paint really well. I shake for a good 2 minutes before painting. Second make sure the area you are painting is warm enough as is the actual paint and surface to be painted. I had the same problem with cracking paint when i was trying to paint the crank arms on my project. I ended up doing the job in my basement with a box fan set up acting as an exhaust fan out of the basement window. The wife was hot but I made a plastic bubble in the room for me to do the painting in and it actually worked quite well. The change in temperature really helped the paint to stick where it was supposed to and there was no more cracking.

Lastly, I have been thinking of doing this again myself to my Peace. I am thinking I want to do the black/gold theme. But I will end up taking up to a car body shop to paint it. The owner used to be one of my daughters soccer coaches and he said that they could paint it a sold color for me for $100! That is well worth my time and hassle free! Might be worth looking into.

I would be careful about applying the stickers to your rattle can paint job and then peeling them back off so that you have the outlines in black. Unless you had the decals made out of vinyl for you, the adhesive on the back of commercial decals is much more sticky and could very well rip the paint right off with it. Just a thought. If you have the decals in hand, you can take them to a sign shop and they can scan them in (can even use a picture) and then print them out on their machine (looks like a blue print printer) and simply make the decals for you. Not sure what the cost would be but if you are going to do it, then do it right the first time! Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
made some progress, got the head tube area re-stripped back down to bare metal, re-primed and put the black where I want the decals to be. I'm having a bit of trouble with the wings around the head tube, because the flat sticker has to wrap around three different tubes, so its a bit of trial and error. Need to get a few more of those printed before I can move forward.

here is where the other decals will be going,

and a close up of the peace 9r logo I came up with,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and here is how things turned out ;)

and I had an extra "Peace 9r" sticker so I decided to slap one between the wings.

·
XC racer, Trail builder
37 Posts
I like the headtube logo. It looks cool how it wraps around onto the frame. I can't say that I'm a fan of the power blue though... but that's just me. I'm more of a black/white/silver bike guy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts