Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT karakoram sport 29er 2014... A good 2nd bike?
Hey guys,

I'm a noob to the forum and wanted some opinions on the gt karakoram sport 29er 2014. I'm looking for a 2nd bike, 29er at a cheap cost. Currently a big sport store retailer has em for $599... not a bad start, but I know they always go on sale 20% off... plus a bunch of team discounts... that not to mention the suntour fork upgrade where I can easily put a radion fork for $200 on it. The step up to the comp isn't worth the $200 (I think) for different tires, one level up rear derailer deore vs Alivio and a suntour fork (low end too) I'm just goin to swap out anyways.
I currently ride a 26 er 2008 specialized epic comp with Crossmaxx rims, a real sweet bike, but I'm itching for a 29er experience. .. what do you guys think? Worth the investment to build up? Decent 2nd bike?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Karakoram 9R Sport from Performance and really enjoy it for city commuting and trail riding. I did some urban street trials on it; not as easy as a 26'R but still a fun bike.

I test rode 29'Rs from Raleigh, Cannondale and Fuji but they felt they had some numb handling to me. But my gripe about the Karakoram Sport is the fork. The knobs feel more like a novelty item because it feels flimsy like you're going to break them off the next time you use them.

What I did to help me decide was to ride 29'R hardtails that cost less and those that cost more (sometimes significantly more) to find out what really highlights the bike I am considering. It also helps reduce you asking the "what if I bought this one instead" question after your card goes through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did the GT compare to the higher priced 29ers? Not worth the difference? Im planning on upgrading the fork through the suntour loyalty program with a Raison, so hopefully that will make a difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Compared to the higher priced Zaskar 9R Comp, you'll feel a slight handling difference and I attribute that to the weight.

I feel GT sort of gets away with the parts specs because of the very good handling of the bike. I rode the more expensive bikes and feel that the difference was the weight while the handling overall was better by the lesser expensive Karakoram.

But I recently test rode a 2014 Zaskar (2 x 10) 9R and if you have the patience and can stash away some extra dollars, go for this bike. It feels much more livelier, the remote RS fork lockout makes it much more fun on the trails.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No plans to upgrade at all because I'm currently doing a 1996 GT LTS-1 and 1996 RTS-3 with BETD parts and Risse rear shocks to replace their old Noleen/RS SDs. I love the old GT dualies because you really can appreciate what bikes were back then and how far they've come now.

I have over 10 GT bikes ranging from 1994 to a 2013 GT Sensor 9R Comp that I just purchased from PB a couple months ago. And my non-GT collection is about the same amount too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts