Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a noob to the forum and wanted some opinions on the gt karakoram sport 29er 2014. I'm looking for a 2nd bike, 29er at a cheap cost. Currently a big sport store retailer has em for $599... not a bad start, but I know they always go on sale 20% off... plus a bunch of team discounts... that not to mention the suntour fork upgrade where I can easily put a radion fork for $200 on it. The step up to the comp isn't worth the $200 (I think) for different tires, one level up rear derailer deore vs Alivio and a suntour fork (low end too) I'm just goin to swap out anyways.
I currently ride a 26 er 2008 specialized epic comp with Crossmaxx rims, a real sweet bike, but I'm itching for a 29er experience. .. what do you guys think? Worth the investment to build up? Decent 2nd bike?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan.

A decent quality fork will make the most dramatic change on any sub $1k bike.

In fact, on my recent outings looking at bikes, $7-800 will get an XC28 fork ($100 fork), while $950-1200 gets something along the lines of an XC30/32 or Recon Solo Air ($150-225 forks).

If you live in a larger metro you may be able to find a sweet pre-owned deal on a 29er via craigslist or pinkbike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts