Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I need repro-decals for restoring my Karakoram.
I have two projects goin and each bike need decals.

It will be great, If I can purchase repro-decals with nice work.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Not a chance that there's any NOS available. All those originals were applied overseas and very few spare sets ever came to the US. Those were likely water base or alcohol based originals and even if you could get some you'd probably need to do a complete strip and repaint before applying them. You need to find someone graphically talented to reproduce them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
With old designs...it shouldn't be impossible repro from a store bought sticker sheets. Take digital pictures, print them out, trace it on transparent paper and cut it out. Preserving old paint is only a good thing if it were a some rare paint scheme like team scream on Bravado or whatnot. I'd strip it and powder coat it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Mmm, not bad! If it were me, I would paint the frame gross black or perl black, apply decal, then clear coat it. That would probably set you back at $200 if a shop is to do it. Orange one can surely use a new paint, it looks like. I'm just about to do that to my beat up faded yellow Bravado that went through many years of abuse. What's the size of the orange one, from the center of BB to the middle of seat tube / top tube junction? 14.5''?

I guess it would look nicer if you do it on a computer, eh?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tidy up the data a bit. I printed it on paper and sticked it on the tube to see how it looks.
I am going to print it on a sticker paper with protective film.

Re-paiting is too much hustle and costs some but I might do that later.
Also, I have other bikes to work on so..

The size is 14.5 :thumbsup:

hatake said:
Mmm, not bad! If it were me, I would paint the frame gross black or perl black, apply decal, then clear coat it. That would probably set you back at $200 if a shop is to do it. Orange one can surely use a new paint, it looks like. I'm just about to do that to my beat up faded yellow Bravado that went through many years of abuse. What's the size of the orange one, from the center of BB to the middle of seat tube / top tube junction? 14.5''?

I guess it would look nicer if you do it on a computer, eh?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The black outlines on the G and the T look slightly different on my '91.

and

Would you mind sharing the files when you are finished? I can supply better photos to work from if need be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am happy to share my data. :)

The original sticker is partially ripped so I had to imagin the line so.. It would be different to the actual sticker used to be..

I want to see more photo in good view , if you could post.
I will redo the tracing.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
1991 GT Quatrefoil. Made in 90 and 91 with 700D wheels. Quatrefoil DX was 7spd Deore DX Spec, Plain Quatrefoil was Exage 300LX spec with Sugino cranks. 1993 there was Quatrefoil with 26" wheels and mid level spec. I have one of the 91 DX's too in the other color Midnight Aurora.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've got the decal in 3 different spots on the tandem and they are all scratched up in different ways. Maybe you can make a composite of all 3 to get the complete image.

Head tube with (mm scale for reference)

Captain seat post right side

Captain seat post left side

Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward the original files.
I've also got the decal from the front side of the seat tube that says GT All Terra with 3 triangular mountains on a square background if you need it too.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
I think I have a complete set of decals from a 1991 Arette which was a cross model but I'm pretty sure the head tube and seat tube decals are probably sized the same as the Tandem and Karakoram. The original decals are alcohol decals that were clearcoated. Those of you that have older vintage 90-91 bikes know that most factories had very little clear over the decals. Not uncommon as the decals aged that they pulled away from the frame.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
gm1230126 said:
I think I have a complete set of decals from a 1991 Arette which was a cross model but I'm pretty sure the head tube and seat tube decals are probably sized the same as the Tandem and Karakoram. ......
Why are you holding out on us then? ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meanwhile making the sticker, I want to know what year the orange one is.
Does any one got the catalogue scan of it?

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
The "Inferno" Karakoram is from the 1991 model year. Your appears to be badly faded which has always been very typical of red colored bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Linoleum said:
SHOCKING... no amber walls on that Karakoram. Very cool model if you ask me, which you didn't.
Yeah, that was when blackwalls were first showing up in limited numbers. The blue version of the bike which you can see the rear wheel of on the right side of the pic came with skinwalls.

My brother bought the last red one the LBS had, and I ended up with the blue one. I always liked the red one better. I own one now. :)

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Linoleum said:
SHOCKING... no amber walls on that Karakoram. Very cool model if you ask me, which you didn't.
The alternate color Blue Widow was spec'ed with amber skinwalls. I would have done the same thin if I were spec'ing the bike back them. Black and red work together as do dark colored bikes with light skinwalls.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a 92'. A blue one. I use it as a commuter bike. I think it's indestructable! It's been to hell and back!...LOL. It's still in good shape!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts