Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, here's my view/thoughts on this bike, mines a pre-production ex demo model 2.0 which is identical to production models except for tyre clearance on rear (less than production model) and the finish around the dogbone (not as nice as prod model). First off for a trail bike the standard stem seems to be way to long, bike felt very front heavy and loose, hard to pop wheel up over objects, ledges, off drops, changed to shorter stem (50mm vs 105mm) and it was like night and day, made it much more fun to ride, more agressive feel, easier to throw round. It pedals great and unless standing mashing the pedals hard uphill there is little or no bob in the suspension, and speaking of suspension the fox suspension once dialled is great, plush over small stuff and absorbs the big hits aswell (3 to 4 foot drops) and i'm heavy (95 kg's / 210 lb's). The magura julie brakes are awesome, great modulation and power and have never faded or squealed. The only gripe I have with this bike is the rear derailuer, with shimano's new rapid rise system which is opposite to what everything has been in the past, takes some getting use to_Overall for agressive trail riding it's perfect, as a race bike it's proberbly a bit on the heavy side (31lb's) but for longer races 12hr/24hr team events it's great as it doesn't beat you up as much as a lighter, less travel bike would and after 24hrs you notice the difference. Any ways hope this of some help in making your decision, any other questions or queries just let me know and hopefully i'll be able to help.

cheers John

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
got the 3.0 "frame set"

erezye said:
Hi,

will be happy to get a feedback on GT I-Drive 5 2.0 , I am considering to buy them

Thanks
I have a 3.0 ID5 that I stripped down to the frame. Built it up with 8 speed stuff, hayes 8"/6" hydros, NOS 2002 Z1 FR QR20. Running a 120 mm x 5 stem with a Titec Flattracker. Compared to my 6 inch travel bike that's set up with a riser, I agree the front end IS heavier but even set up as is, I don't have much difficulty lifting the front wheel. Although I do bias my bikes with a slightly more forward sitting position than most.

Definitely a nice suspension design - minimal bob yet soaks up the big stuff nicely. I have 6 bikes and this is definitely my favorite (yes even over my straight six...) My build comes in at 32 lbs but thats with little attention paid to putting on light weight stuff and with 2.5 tires, burly wheels. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs and the medium fits perfectly.

Don't think you can go wrong with this bike (frame) especially since you can get a deal on em. Give Rbikes.com a ring, they're a good bunch over there.

REEK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.