Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story for this build goes back about 6 months when a poor listing showed up on a Wednesday night on eBay. The pictures were taken from a distance and the frame wasn't well described. By the look of the 2x4 fork I realized right away that it had to a Cyclone frame because of the color. It was listed as US only. I missed the auction ending and probably would have gone much higher to get it. After the auction ended I contacted the seller who informed me that the winner was from China and he would not ship abroad. He let me have it for the high bid,,,,YES!

So to start the build lets take one NOS period correct Deore XT threaded headset and press these cups into the head tube. This headset had 1/4" ball bearing in the bottom half and these were tough. I also ran one of these in my 1990 Team Avalanche back in the day.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Let's move on and get a fork installed. GT 2x4 chromoly fillet brazed. The dropouts have the four grooved positions for adjustable rake and adjustment screws for setting the position you prefer

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On to the BB and Crank Set. GT Ti BB with a New-Old-Stock Profile built CNC GT Alloy crank arm set with 46/36/26T Shimano SG-X chainrings.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next to install a GT Flip Flop II chromoly stem and GT alloy handlebar

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Deciding what to do with shifters was tough....7 speed top mount or7 speed rapidfire which was also out in 1991. Decided to go with a lightly used pair of 7 speed top mounts with new clamps. The brake levers were tough also and I decided to stay with XT and pretty much use the whole group since I started with the headset. I chose to polish the lever portion of the brake lever because I never could stand either the 2-finger or 4-finger XT levers that were all black.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to debate a bit on the seat post but in staying period correct I decided to go with the Tioga Prestige chromoly post with alloy top. Was able to pick one up NIB for $15.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brakes were easy, XT of coarse with a black M734 canti in the front and a NOS XT U-brake in the rear. Brake laced up with NOS XT SLR brake wires with 2.0mm 7x7 strand innerwires

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I built wheels with black XT 7 speed hubs and NOS Araya RM-17 32 hole rims. Wrapped the hoops with Panaracer Smoke 1.9 rear and Dart 2.1 in the front just like the old days.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Derailleurs on this ride are obviously Deore XT 7 speed. NOS in the front and lightly used in the rear. CS-HG90 12/28 cassette and a CN-HG91 XT chain.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for checking out the build. I've been lucky enough to grab two of these NOS 91 Cyclones and there weren't that many of them made so consider myself very lucky

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This yellow one's a 16" and thanks. The first was an 18".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts