Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
GT Force- just demoed one (but ultimately settled on the Sanction 1.0 which is just incredible). Both of GTs new six inchers are just incredible, at least in my opinion anyway. The spec/ geometry and price point are spot on and the i-Drive system is no joke.

Hope this helps!

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
SlimTwisted said:
GT Force- just demoed one (but ultimately settled on the Sanction 1.0 which is just incredible). Both of GTs new six inchers are just incredible, at least in my opinion anyway. The spec/ geometry and price point are spot on and the i-Drive system is no joke.

Hope this helps!
Can you go over why you picked the Sanction? I can only assume it's because fast downhill is your thing.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Actually, that's the funny thing. I don't ride a whole lot of fast downhill/ big hit terrain. I went in more focused on the Force for its All Mountain prowess but quickly fell for the charms of the sanction once I spent a little time in the saddle. It pedals way better than it should (assuming this is because of the i-Drive) and the gemoetry was a tad bit more comfortable (meaning upright) than the Force.

The Maxles were a bit of a bonus as well; really a nice spec for the price.

About my only complaint to the entire package is the dual chainring. Some may argue that my complaint misses the point of the bike, but I'm thinking about throwing a triple up front and turning this thing into the ultimate trail rig that's capable of downhilling/ jumping should the desire arise.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
SlimTwisted said:
Actually, that's the funny thing. I don't ride a whole lot of fast downhill/ big hit terrain. I went in more focused on the Force for its All Mountain prowess but quickly fell for the charms of the sanction once I spent a little time in the saddle. It pedals way better than it should (assuming this is because of the i-Drive) and the gemoetry was a tad bit more comfortable (meaning upright) than the Force.

About my only complaint to the entire package is the dual chainring. Some may argue that my complaint misses the point of the bike, but I'm thinking about throwing a triple up front and turning this thing into the ultimate trail rig that's capable of downhilling/ jumping should the desire arise.

Hope this helps.
Some other things I would question about the Sanction (very nice bike BTW) is some of the spec. Specifically, I'm talking about the 170mm cranks as well as a 0 deg stem and low rise bar. Also, it comes with narrow 450g DT rims (1.0). :confused:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with you on your observations. Even after enjoying the bike for two weeks, I'm still not 100% clear on GT's motivation there. I can only assume that their engineers took into account the more upright geometry and compensated with a low rise in effort to avoid the dreaded "ape hanger" effect.

Likewise perhaps a fatter tire spec took away some of its pedaling efficiency (just a guess of course).. But I say this on account of the fact that it really does move out more efficiently than it looks like it should on paper.

Naturally, in time I'll be able to put these theories to the test once I begin swapping out components. I can only assume these decisions were made purposely on GT's behalf due to the performance of the end result but one does have to wonder...

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
SlimTwisted said:

Hope this helps.
Yes, this is helpful. Sounds like your needs are similar to mine. I'm looking at the Force also but I'll make sure I consider the Sanction as well. Thanks.

·
May the Force be with you
1,035 Posts
I went for the Force 1.0. I went from a XC 4 in bike to this 6 in am. It's close in geometry so for me it was a great fit. I really like the i drive for peddle bob or I should say lack of.
I've only got about 5 rides on the bike I couldn't be happier with the package GT put together.
The parts mix is very good.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
So here's my question: Will the Force 3.0 be awful? The 1.0 is out of my initial price range and my goal is spring suspension so I'd be upgrading to Fox Vanilla and DHX Coil. The 1.0 would come with suspension I would ultimately not use. Is the Force 3.0 a good foundation to start with?

·
May the Force be with you
1,035 Posts
Yes

Razorfish said:
So here's my question: Will the Force 3.0 be awful? The 1.0 is out of my initial price range and my goal is spring suspension so I'd be upgrading to Fox Vanilla and DHX Coil. The 1.0 would come with suspension I would ultimately not use. Is the Force 3.0 a good foundation to start with?
Yes, for the price it's a very good bike. Great frame and the independent system works great.
You can always up grade parts.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yes, I agree. You figure what separates the 1.0 from the 3.0 is the component spec. The frames are the same and you say that you are going to swap out a majority of the components anyway.

There is no sense is spending more on the better spec'ed model just to toss aside the bling. You are definitely on the right path in considering the 3.0

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'll throw this in: you'll have to find an already stocked dealer for the Force 1.0 or Sanction 1.0. GT is all out until late fall. I work for Performance and have been trying to prodeal one for ages. Warehouse is bone dry, so good luck finding one. A couple 2.0's and 3.0's in various sizes, but 1.0's will not be seen for months. For what it's worth, the Sanction is amazing. Buddy got one, loves it. I went into Barnes and Noble the other day to grab some mags, and 3 of 4 mags had it on the cover. GREAT bike. Better balance than the force (decidedly xc).

·
Registered
16 Posts
crazylax42 said:
I'll throw this in: you'll have to find an already stocked dealer for the Force 1.0 or Sanction 1.0. GT is all out until late fall. I work for Performance and have been trying to prodeal one for ages. Warehouse is bone dry, so good luck finding one. A couple 2.0's and 3.0's in various sizes, but 1.0's will not be seen for months. For what it's worth, the Sanction is amazing. Buddy got one, loves it. I went into Barnes and Noble the other day to grab some mags, and 3 of 4 mags had it on the cover. GREAT bike. Better balance than the force (decidedly xc).
Really? I just ordered one from Performance on Monday (seemed like a steal at $2600) and got an email on Wednesday saying that it had shipped out from the distribution center. (I'm talking about the Sanction 1.0 btw).

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
crazylax42 said:
I just saw all 6 models at a little local GT dealer last night. Working at Performance might have scrambled your brain.

I'm not sure you can easily dismiss a bike with 5.5"+ travel as an XC bike just because it has a slightly steeper head angle. Riding in tight woods is why I'm looking at that steep head angle.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm worried about GT's reputation for model year blow outs, etc. You can still find '06 I drives for next to nothing on Epay.

My LBS has the Force in stock, both 1.0 and 3.0, he also has the ML1.

Life's a bithc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The ML1 is a fantastic bike. It climbs like an XC bike but is very stable and neutral handling on the descents. The first time I rode it I felt like I had owned it for years. The frame is very stiff and always surprised me when landing jumps or drop offs. It is such an efficient climber that you forget it has 5 inches of travel.
I would recommend using a high volume air sleeve on the Fox shock for AM. I had a Talas fork but would have loved it even more with a Pike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.