Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious is anyone has ridden them for long extended XC rides. I currently ride a 7" AM/FR bike everywhere but would love a nimble, fast bike that i could ride XC/AM all day on without the weight penalty of my big bike and then hit the local DJ's and backyard pumptracks the next day.

Anyone got enough time on one to comment?

I have a few friends who are GT dealers so thats how I found out about these.

I would probably switch it to a 1x10 set up, swap to a travel adjust fork, and swap a few other parts around since frames are not available separately AFAIK

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like a cool build

I'd be interested to hear some feedback too but I'm guessing the bikes are still slowly making their way to buyers. GT's dealer network is definitely in rebuild mode, at least in the States, so I find it's pretty rare to see late models on the trails.

If you've got a buddy who's a dealer you're already ahead of the game, hopefully as their market presence increases their range of offerings will too (i.e. framesets). I've been trying to find a new Ruckus 7 to build from scratch so I understand your predicament. Check with Ryan, he's been a huge help in hooking me up:

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=405999

Good luck, be sure to post a review if you end up on one!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Interesting - in looking at the geometry on the GT website - the dimensions for a large distortion and large force and fairly similar. They have the same top tube length, chainstay length, seat post angle, standover height, and BB height.

The main differences being the 1" shorter seat tube on the distortion and, of course, the head angle.

So, you would think that as long as you can get your seat post high enough for good pedaling efficiency on a shorter seat tube, it would make a fine XC/trail bike, just need to get used to the slacker heat tube angle.

But, this also seems fishy as to why they are so similar.....especially the standover and BB heights. Visually, the distortion looks like it should have a standover commensurate with the shorter seat tube - about an inch shorter than listed. Also, the BB height, you would think would be lower considering it has 2" less travel. And - if this is a slope style bike, wouldn't you want a low BB to rail the corners???

·
WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
112 Posts
I have one at the shop as a floor bike it's sweet and is defiantly a capable trail bike seeing as that's the main customer they are marketing it towards. For people that like the feel of a 4 cross or slalom bike for xc. The bike has a longer seat tube and top tube which is ment to make it more trail worthy. The only downside I see for some people is all the purple frame parts, dropouts, I drive assembly for some it may be to much. But one thing for sure it will be one fun flowey trail bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Picked up a Distortion the other day, must say this bike is rad! Im riding the size medium which is a bit small for me If I want to ride it as an XC bike (I'm 5'10"). The medium is a bit tight, but awesome for a DS bike. If you wanted to ride it XC I would def get the Large if your close to my height. The longer seat tube and TT will help get your legs stretched out a bit more. I have ridden it a few times on some local mini DH runs and it is awesome, handles everything that my full DH bike does. Even tho it only has 112mm of rear travel the way the suspension design is feels like a 6" bike. The headangle puts a huge factor in its DH style ride at 66.5* HA makes the 4" travel bike real comfortable on the mountain. Very stiff frame as well really awesome bike :thumbsup:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice man

I wish a frame only option was available here in the US. I like to custom build my bikes and I already have a ton of parts laying around.

Also the grey/purple one is the only one available here. The black one is sexy but that raw is just pure amazing. The 65.5 HA would be perfect for me too. I like slack AM bikes.

I probably won't be able to buy one til next winter but it is now at the very top of my list. hopefully by then they will have more options or atleast a different color.

Oh i should mention my friends brought one in to the shop and I got some time in the parking lot on it. Seems like a fun bike. It was a medium so it felt a bit small but I could see how I would like it.

Guess i'll be saving up

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HighTitan said:
Picked up a Distortion the other day, must say this bike is rad! Im riding the size medium which is a bit small for me If I want to ride it as an XC bike (I'm 5'10"). The medium is a bit tight, but awesome for a DS bike. If you wanted to ride it XC I would def get the Large if your close to my height. The longer seat tube and TT will help get your legs stretched out a bit more. I have ridden it a few times on some local mini DH runs and it is awesome, handles everything that my full DH bike does. Even tho it only has 112mm of rear travel the way the suspension design is feels like a 6" bike. The headangle puts a huge factor in its DH style ride at 66.5* HA makes the 4" travel bike real comfortable on the mountain. Very stiff frame as well really awesome bike :thumbsup:
Do you by any chance know if the bike is progressive or more linear? Mainly can you run it a little soft (obviously not going to be super plush) without bottoming it out on drops?

I have had a 4" jump bike before that would bottom out on everything even when it had zero sag. didn't like that.

·
Registered
727 Posts
climbingbubba said:
Do you by any chance know if the bike is progressive or more linear? Mainly can you run it a little soft (obviously not going to be super plush) without bottoming it out on drops?

I have had a 4" jump bike before that would bottom out on everything even when it had zero sag. didn't like that.
I asked GT and they said its linear and it ends a bit progressive, needless to say you cant tell when you bottom it. If the pike felt like the rear suspension it would be incredible!

I took the little guy out and this past weekend at some DH shuttle spots by me. Everyone was on a full DH rig and I was the only one on a single crown 4" travel bike... The Distortion hung in there very nicely, even passing some of my buddies which was pretty funny. The terrain didnt have to many rock gardens, mainly steep switch backs with doubles and some rock hucks! had a real good time out there and she handled it great.

Dont mind my retarded friend, theres something wrong with him.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I would bring this back up to see if anyone else has been riding one as an AM bike. I am in the process of building up my new bikes for the year and this is again at the top of my list. Seems like it would be a rad bike and the only 4x style bike that still could be pedaled uphill

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thought I would bring this back up to see if anyone else has been riding one as an AM bike. I am in the process of building up my new bikes for the year and this is again at the top of my list. Seems like it would be a rad bike and the only 4x style bike that still could be pedaled uphill
Little update:

I now have been riding this bike since April, I have been riding it as my XC/Super D bike. I raced Cat 1 at National Champs in Sun Valley, Idaho last month. I did fairly well with a 9th place finish. The huge climb and high altitude did me in! oh well!

Two weeks ago I did a "local" Super D race in PA. Raced Cat 1 and placed 3rd on the bike. I still have a lot to learn, the bike is not holding me back.

Since April I have put some new parts on it.

-Answer Pro Taper Carbon bars- 720mm with 12.5mm rise
-Rock Shock Reverb seat post (amazing!! wouldnt have been able to get those results without it) - Not even sponsored by them, just amazing product :thumbsup:
-Formula The One brakes with 180mm rotor front and rear, Bike stops quick! I opted for larger brakes and rotors due to the fact at times you hit 40mph on some Super D tracks. Also a lot of the races are on XC tracks where theres sharp turns where you need to brake hard and drag the rear tire around. Big brakes in light weight package rocks!
-Shimano XT cranks
Photo from the Super D race in PA

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.