Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into a entry level hardtail and was looking at the Avalanche 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. Does anyone know if the frames are identical in the three models. I was looking at the 2.0today at Performance and it was going for $499. If the frames are identical I was thinking of going for the 3.0 which was on sale for $399. I plan to use this as a second bike. As I upgrade componenets on my full suspension I was planning on migrating those components over to the Avalanche frame.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Attack. Do you think it is worth paying the extra for the 2.0. I do like the white frame over the colors that the 3.0 comes in. By the way, your bike is awesome. I also want to slowly build up the Avalanche frame; just need a good solid frame to build on to. Is there any other info you can provide on the Avalanche frame. I also on one of the other postings a member said that the 3.0 frame was not the same as the frame on the 1.0 and 2.0. Do you know if that is true. Something about the 3.0 does not use the hydroformed tubes.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
10sballs said:
Thanks Attack. Do you think it is worth paying the extra for the 2.0. I do like the white frame over the colors that the 3.0 comes in. By the way, your bike is awesome. I also want to slowly build up the Avalanche frame; just need a good solid frame to build on to. Is there any other info you can provide on the Avalanche frame. I also on one of the other postings a member said that the 3.0 frame was not the same as the frame on the 1.0 and 2.0. Do you know if that is true. Something about the 3.0 does not use the hydroformed tubes.
The frames are all the same, I checked them all out when I bought mine. I bought the 2.0 just because it was white, otherwise I would have gotten a 3.0 and used that frame. Either way I ditched all the stock parts on ebay, etc and got back most of my investment. If you like the color of the 3.0 go for it, it is the same frame as the 2.0 and 1.0

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hellvin, I was at Performance the other day looking at the Avalanche frames. I need to go back and look closer at the toptube like you mentioned. The sales guy pointed out that the 3.0 frame is made in china, while the 1.0 and 2.0 are made in Taiwan. He felt that the 1.0 and 2.0 frames were better for that reason but couldn't give me any specifics. Do you know if the 1.0 and 2.0 are actually different, What is it about the toptubes that make the frames unique.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know what is the difference between the '08 Avalanche 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 frames, other than the 1.0 and 2.0 frames are made in Taiwan and the 3.0 is made in China. For that reason alone the local Perfromance shop felt the 1.0 and 2.0 were the better frames.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I've compared them all side by side and there is no difference except the front of the top tube of the 3.0 frames are not hydroformed. The 1.0 & 2.0 are exactly the same. All 3 frames are made of 6061 aluminum and have the same geometry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Attack. I think I'm still leanig towrds getting the white 2.0. When you were shopping around did the LBS say anything regarding the 3.0 being built in China versus Taiwan where the 1.0 and 2.0 are built.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
10sballs said:
Thanks Attack. I think I'm still leanig towrds getting the white 2.0. When you were shopping around did the LBS say anything regarding the 3.0 being built in China versus Taiwan where the 1.0 and 2.0 are built.
I've never heard anything about frames being built in different places.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went down to the local Performance shop today and placed an order for an Avalanche 2.0 in white. They actually had an Avalanche 2.0 with hydraulic discs for the same price on their website, but unfortunately the hydraulic version only came with the blue frame. Really wanted the white frame, so I'll just live with the mechanical discs for a while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
aww

Oh...why? The blue one looked quite nice as well...but if you already have plans for upgrades then to get the hydraulic brakes version would be pointless. But the Tektro auriga comp is actually not bad brakes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ratch, how difficult was it to change over to a 9 speed. can I just go pick up a new 9 speed cluster and put it on the hubs that come with the 2.0. Will I also need to change the rear deraileur and rear shifter?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
10sballs said:
Ratch, how difficult was it to change over to a 9 speed. can I just go pick up a new 9 speed cluster and put it on the hubs that come with the 2.0. Will I also need to change the rear deraileur and rear shifter?
The 9 speed cassette will fit on the hub no problem, you will have to change the shifters and the rear derailleur to something that is 9 speed compatible. You will also have to buy a 9 speed chain. You may or may not have to get a 9 speed front derailleur (they have narrower cages than the 8 speed ones, sometime you can get lucky and they work no problem, othertimes not so lucky).

I use the Sram X9 derailleur and shifters, Sram hollowpin chain, and Sram PG990 cassette. Its the best setup I've ever used, totally blows away all the Shimano stuff I used before.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.