Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a newbie to GT Bike and currently is looking for one. The major reason to my interest to the GT avalanche is the low stand over height for my wife. With some online searching, I am extremely confused with the different frame construction to the Avalanche. There are models currently on the GT bike official website with straight top tube while there are photos I can see the Avalanche with curved toptube. Can anyone help me understanding the difference? Can I get less than 25.5inch standover height with the small curved top tube Avalanche?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know what specific model you're looking at but sometimes small frames use a curved top tube to increase stand over height. You should really go to bike shop and try out different bikes because stand over height on similar sized frames vary from manufacturer and bike design.

·
Never trust a fart
4,471 Posts
The models with the curved top tube are sized Small and Extra Small. Its only done that way for those 2 sizes for increased stand over height for shorter riders. Mediums and the larger sizes have a straight top tube.

Your best option is to visit your local GT dealer and try them for sizing. Too many variables to size you over the internet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the first time user to attach photo on this forum. Hopefully, it works out. The GT Avalanche 1.0 frame.jpg is the model I referred to the curved top tube. The GTW Avalanche 2.0 Disc XS.jpg is the current model download from the GT bike website. I am interested on buying the 1.0 frame jpg as the side view suggest the standover height is lower than the 26inch wheel! Am I logical? What's the model and year of the first jpg I posted? Thanks very much, Newbie.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello arronchoi,

Here is a scan I made for you showing the GTw Avalanche geometry. This info was taken from the 2010 printed catalog. I suspect other recent model years have identical numbers, but best to confirm.

Looks like the XS standover of 25" should work for your wife. If not, you might need to consider a 24" wheeled MTB or interrupted women's frame. Oh yeah, you can try searching BikePedia to determine the model year:

https://www.bikepedia.com

Hope this helps,

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
2011 GT avalanche 2.0 small frame

sorry to revive this thread... I'm a short guy so I chose to get this GT avalanche 2.0 and it has a curved top tube. My question is... is this a mens frame? or did I choose a womens frame? haha it's still comfortable but an interesting thing to know. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
it may actually be marketed as a woman's bike, but that doesn't mean a guy can't ride it. check out the low TT on one of my bikes:

·
blog hogs
303 Posts
X small avalanches and zaskars have the curved top tube.I have a size small,and it's straight.On the 29',size small has the curved top tube.The bikes are unisex.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
That initial curved top tube frame first appeared on GT's dating back to the 1996 model year when the Avalanche and Ricochet models were produced in what were called "Anatomica" models. Meaning a more anatomically correct set-up for a smaller rider. When first introduced they were sized as 12.5" c-c frames later XS's.

·
Registered
685 Posts
blog hogs said:
X small avalanches and zaskars have the curved top tube.I have a size small,and it's straight.On the 29',size small has the curved top tube.The bikes are unisex.
Size small Avalanches have a curved top tube...at least the 2010 models do, I own one.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
I am the first time user to attach photo on this forum. Hopefully, it works out. The GT Avalanche 1.0 frame.jpg is the model I referred to the curved top tube. The GTW Avalanche 2.0 Disc XS.jpg is the current model download from the GT bike website. I am interested on buying the 1.0 frame jpg as the side view suggest the standover height is lower than the 26inch wheel! Am I logical? What's the model and year of the first jpg I posted? Thanks very much, Newbie.
Standover should be a bit in front of the seat. GT quotes the lowest part of the top tube, but the crotch is usually on the part of the top tube that ramps up. The standover is normally a bit higher (1" to 2" taller) than the numbers GT quotes. Some of it will depend on the seat and the seat position as to how much room is underneath. I looked at a GTw S, which has a quoted 25.5" standover. The actual standover is more like 27", with my wife straddling the bike so I could mark the point of the actual standover. The midpoint of the top tube measures about 29" to the ground, so you figure somewhere between 25.5" to 29" for a S GTw frame.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Hello. I am a newbie to GT Bike and currently is looking for one. The major reason to my interest to the GT avalanche is the low stand over height for my wife. With some online searching, I am extremely confused with the different frame construction to the Avalanche. There are models currently on the GT bike official website with straight top tube while there are photos I can see the Avalanche with curved toptube. Can anyone help me understanding the difference? Can I get less than 25.5inch standover height with the small curved top tube Avalanche?
According to this the standover for an XS Avalanche 2.0 Disc is 25.48"
http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/mountain/endurance/2011-avalanche-2-0-disc-blue

Keep in mind that standover height is probably a "tight" measurement and does not allow extra rome for landing on a flexed leg when needing to bale out on a steep climb in addition to a safe standover height rider still needs to feel comfortable in the cockpit regarding the top tube and stem length

·
Registered
699 Posts
Does anyone else not like the looks curved top tube? GT's small frame fits me perfect for technical mtn biking, but I think I like the looks of the previous small frame better.

Is there any structural pros or cons of the curved top tube? I assume you have a little more clearance with regard to standover. Is the frame as strong as the old version I wonder?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Piggy888 is a newbie.

Hello, All

I myself obtain a 2012 GT 2.0 Avalanche XS frame from a local bike dealer because I like the curved small frame and since I have never before ridden a bike with such frame construction or geometry. I stand 1.73 m. and weight is 75 kg., the frame is of 6061 Al made in Taiwan weight a little over 2 kg. but I did not really notice the increase in weight compare to my S-size 2007 model Giant XTC team made in Taiwan of Allux alloy tech. In order not to feel cramp in the frame, 530 mm. top of steering tube to top of seat tube paralleled to the ground measurements, I use a Profile Stiffy stem 135 mm. and Truvativ Stylo 10 degree off-set seat tube 400 mm. lenght. The bike is very balanced easy to maneuver with Titac Hell Bend 670mm. ( not over-sized ) handle-bar. Mavac Cross-Ride 2012 disc model, complete Sram X9 drive-train and Manitou R7 Pro. I have the bike test for 4 hours so far and minor tuneup have been made to inprove the ride also I have to get use to not standing too forward on the pedals as in sharp turns the front tire touches my shoe ( size 41 ). Will attach photos soon please consider GT as Gary Turner is a dedicated manufacturer since the BMX era.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GT avalanche 2.0 XS frame

Hi, all GT fans and MTBR forum dwellers,

Self-matched GT avalanche 2.0 XS

X9, 3 x 10 Sram drivetrain with Sram 1071 hollow pin silver chain and Sram 1070 11-36 sprocket, chain-ring is 44-34-24 Sram X9 with 4-pin sealed bearing X-pedo pedals.

Avid Juicy 3.5 ( not in production anymore ) with Aligator 160 mm. disc

Titec Hell Bent Hi-riser 670 mm. handle-bar ( un-cut ) with Sram Neoprene 110 mm. grip

Pofile Stiffy 135 mm. Stem 25.4 mm.

HOPE threadless headset and spacers

GUB slim lightly padded saddle

Truvativ Stylo Team 31.6 mm. 400 mm. seat-tube

Mavic Cross Ride Disc

CST Maverick Comp 1.95 in. tires and CST latex lite inner-tube

Manitou R 7 Pro 100 mm. travel

Well, it handles better than my last Giant XTC team 2007 model with Suntour Epicon suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
many thanx

From your profile I see you have the same bike, I guess you bought the bike complete from GT so it came with the package set-up. For myself, even though not an expert rider, I bought the frame with just the original seat-post clamp included and installed what I thought to be the best parts for the value since I am on a budget for every bike I build. My first mountain bike was a KHS Comp 27-speed with thumb shifters dated 1991 when I was still in Toronto,Ontario, Canada. Nevertheless, here in China we have a saying about bicycles :- A bike does not move by itself, it depends on the rider. So a good rider can ride a $500 bike and beat a amateur rider that has a $20,000 bike. Stay motivated, enjoy all rides as we have the freedom to be able to take our-self any ware and you can do it on any bike. Piggy888

1 - 20 of 21 Posts