Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into mountain biking and dont have any expreience with disc brakes...quit riding before they came out. So I just picked up a gt avalanche 3.0 that doesnt have disc brakes and am looking to upgrade to them. Are the mounting holes on the frame and fork a standard size and distance between or do i need a gt style braket? Also would i be better off just buying some new disc hubs or buy a new set of complete wheels?

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Unless you are planning to do some highly technical trails or light FR/DH, GT Avalanche doesn't require disc brakes. I have one (as an old backup) and v-brakes are fine, especially if you get good brake pads (like Kool pads). You can't go that fast on a hardtail, so disc brakes are probably an overkill.

With used value of only a couple hundred bucks, not worth upgrading with components that will cost more than the bike. If you go this route, you will need to get a complete brake set and hubs and/or wheelset (assuming your fork has brake mounts).

If I were you, I would save up the money and get a full suspension bike with disc brakes. You can do much more and go faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The main reason i wanted to upgrade was just to try them out and i was going to buy a set used from ebay so i wouldnt be spending a whole lot. I might do like you said and eventualy buy a full suspension bike. I might just buy a frame and then switch everything from my gt to the new frame. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi

i'm going for the same 08 bike i think. looks real good and has disc brakes.
i have a question though - what's the difference between mechanical and hydraulic disk brakes? and what's "linear pull" disk brakes?

and how much does the Avalanche weighs?
maybe there's some other make that has disc brakes and is cheap and low-weight?

thanks

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Hydraulic brakes use brake fluid to move the pistons, where as mechanical brakes use cables. Linear and v-brakes use different points to contract the pistons. Look these up on an Internet store or do google search.

Avalanche weighs something like 30 lb, depending on the components. Not a light bike. Unless you are a good rider or plan to do technical trails or go fast, you don't need disc brakes. And if you are that good, you won't be using Avalanche. This is an entry level bike for beginners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.