Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need some advice on which of these two mountain bikes to buy. They are either the GT Avalanche 3.0 or the Specialized Hardrock Sport 06. My main requirements are that it is pretty durable as I do intend to keep it for say five years and weight as my last mountain bike which was a Scott was pretty heavy and at times I found it hard work so weight is an issue. From what I can tell, the GT is very light, has a great frame but does not have very good components. It is more of a cheaper spec bike and is not particularly strong. The Specialized is beefy but quite heavy, very strong and durable and has much better components over the GT. It also looks better in my opinion. So as you can see, both bikes have there advantages with the GT being light and the Specialized being strong and of a better spec but they both have disadvantages with the GT being weaker and lower spec but the Specialized being heavy.

The type of riding I will be doing is cross country and trails, through woods and over rough ground and up and down hills. I am 5ft 9” tall and about 182 lbs or 12 stone I think.

Can any one offer any advice to help me make a decision?

Many thanks

Michael

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recall both of those bikes having very different geometries... so they would feel very different. Give them both a good test ride and then make your choice... it would be much easier (especially if you don't like how one of them rides).

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
Well, there is also the price difference to consider. My '05 GT Avalanche 3.0 was pretty much dirt cheap as MTBs go, and although I do enjoy riding it (the geometry fits me fairly well, etc), TO A DEGREE you get what you pay for. The shifting is a little sluggish and one small endo netted me several hours of repair work. I also recommend you ride both to get a feel for which one you like :) Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.