Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, Im am getting a bike this weekend and just wanted to get a little insight from here. I am looking at 2 bikes at BIGSHARK in STL. The first bike is a '10 GT Avalanch 3.0 DISC and the other is a '10 Raleigh 5.0. I'm not too sure yet and I am going back tomorrow to test ride them since it was raining today. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with any of these bikes? If so help me out on this one. Both are the same price $550....

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked it up and I keep seeing $499.00....still not a bad price. Maybe I'll mention that tomorrow when I head up there. Thanks!! I also just saw the Cannondale F8 for I think $550 too on the Bigshark website. any knowledge on that bike?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't. What I can tell you is that pretty much every bike in that price range will be substantially similar in most respects...similar parts, similar frame materials etc. Go ride a few and pick the one that feels and fits you the best.

I know with the Avalanche that the 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 all have the exact same frame, just different parts and different paint. If price is the deciding factor get the cheaper one and don't worry about the cheaper parts, they'll last long enough for you to learn how to ride and how to use them and it's likely that when a part breaks you'll replace it with something better than you'd get on the higher priced one in the first place...at least that's what I'd do...I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you that I'm out of my mind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got an '09 Raleigh Mojave 5.0 and, so far, like it. I believe it's the predecessor to the Talus five-oh. First change: grips. I can't compare to the Avalanche, but I like the Raleigh. As was said, this price range seems to be all pretty similar in components and rideability. Kyle

·
Hoodwink
221 Posts
ive got an '10 avalanche 3.0 components are good enough for the price i got mine in may from performance for 400 + double points back so its was like 350 after tax and pts reimbursed by my bro when he gots his sensor. the components are good enough to learn just upgraded to a recon race solo air which cost 300 so pretty much doubled the amount on money spent on my bike but the fork is much better than the fork on a 2.0 or even an expert for that matter. will probably upgrade to x.7 drivetrain and bb7s so it was basically a $350 frame that can be ridden. its a good beginer bike though.

its a heavy bike though 35lbs, heavier than the gt sensor 3.0 which is a FS

·
Registered
32 Posts
i say GT Avalanche as trboxman said get the bike than slowly upgrade...their frames are really good and beefy. mine is 6 years old and been through lots of abuse and not a single dent!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The price is kinda steep you could get the 2.0 for that, I got my Avalanche 1.0 for around $700 with tax :)

I would go with the GT I love the look of the frame and there pretty tough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts