Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit to reusing my quick links a few times (about 3 times over) given I wax my chains. I have a new gravel bike and rather than purchasing throw away links I'm thinking of getting the Connex reusable link system. Anyone have any experience? Bike is a Diverge 11 speed Shimono GRX.

I have two mountain bikes with SRAM Eagle 12 speeds, it looks like nothing is really available in the Connex option? Any good products that would be reusable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wax my chains and have used the Connex Link on my road bike for thousands of miles with no issues. Very convenient and cost effective if your swapping chains a lot.

Now that I have a MTB I've started waxing the chains for it also. Sure wish they would release a 12 spd. Connex Link. They show them of their website but think they are vaporware.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'll admit to reusing my quick links a few times (about 3 times over) given I wax my chains. I have a new gravel bike....
Please forgive is this isn't quite on point. I have no experience with the Connex, but I would be interested to know the real answer to the unasked question. "How many times CAN you reuse a Shimano QL without untoward resuts?" I too wax chains on both mine and my wife's gravel bikes, and kinda threw caution to the wind with regard to this... they've been on and off many times without changing the QL.

I've looked at the Connex before and can't really see anything that makes me feel any better or worse about one over the other, except Shimano says to not reuse them... but then again if there is a more conservative company on the planet, I'd like to hear about it.

Do you know of any instances of a QL failing and do we know it was from multiple uses??? They definitely assemble and disassemble easier with use, but so far I've not broken one or even heard of such a thing... but I also understand not wanting to worry about it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,057 Posts
I went to take my chain off this spring to make my bike lighter for transport in a case and took apart my shimano quick link...but it literally fell apart when I took it off, like the pins came out of the links of the quick link. No way to re-use it. So I wouldn't count on being able to use a shimano QL.

·
1,065 Posts
I re-use the Shimano quick links for the life of the chain, and since I wax, that life has become significantly extended. They definitely are easier to put together the second time, but I haven't detected additional changes unless one gets bent. I had one that got a little finicky, so I decided it was time to retire it.

I always use the park tool pliers to put it together and to take it apart.

I had thought about the connex, but read about some instances where it comes apart spontaneously, and was thus put off.

If a bike shop does anything that requires removing your chain, they will replace it with a new link and charge you for it. For them, putting the old link back creates a potential liability, even if it is insignificant in practice.

I started out extremely paranoid about using quick-links. The Campagnolo guy at Sea Otter said they will never make one or recommend using one (I asked him), because he says they want to maintain their reputation of having chains that never break.

Removing and replacing the pin in the pre-quick-link days introduced its own set of stresses and potential weak points in a chain.

I would be surprised if there was anything magical about the Connex link. Their chains have a reputation for rusting quickly. Shimano tends to over-engineer and is very conservative in their recommendations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.