Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what it's all about right;)

Dan and I had a hootin good time today. Enjoy.

Granite Dells Fun from Enel on Vimeo.

If the Video demonstrates anything it's that the bike really has little to do with it. Luckily with my technological advantages, I can make up for skill deficiency....a little.

I will note that Dan is riding a specially set up "Rock Monkey" with 26X20 gearing, super short cockpit, etc.

Also note that after trying various set ups, he prefers the shortest chainstay possible (around 17" on the Monkey).:eek:

"Do you boys need a refresher course, It's all short chainstays now";)

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CB2 said:
I guess his rear hub is broken; it's freewheeling.

Cool video.
I think he rode fixed off road for something like seven years.

He has since learned that gears and suspension can be satisfying as well, in moderation.

·
This place needs an enema
17,431 Posts
enel said:
"Do you boys need a refresher course, It's all short chainstays now";)
Zealot. Up your skills--the bike has nothing to do with it. I could do those moves *easily* with my long-stayed hula hoop.

Awesome vid--looks like tons of fun. Is this the trail that's less than 3 miles long? I think I could spend *days* out there...

MC

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Boy that sure doesnt look that hard on video,I think video's flatten everything out.That was alot of fun.Whats really funny is Enel rides this area all the time ,and I ride it at lunch alot
but this is the first time weve ridden it together and we both take the same alternate lines.:thumbsup: As far as fixed goes I pedaled every inch for a lot of years ,the time came t take a break and just roll.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fixgeardan said:
Boy that sure doesnt look that hard on video
That's an understatement.

It was fun being out with another rider. We both had lines we rode regularly that the other had not tried. We both pulled off some moves that we had only sort of eyeballed before. I would say I added four moves to the repetoire today. A couple I would have thought "unrideable" before Dan went up them.

Always fun to ride with someone else.

5 miles in two hours.

On a more serious note for the 29" forum, I would like to review the Gear a little.

Comparing the Monkey to the Box, I find the Monkey suffers in comparison in both small and large bump compliance. It is an efficient pedaler, however, and hardly bobs at all. Power goes straight to the wheel. Bottom out is well controlled on the Monkey. Since they both have short stays, they both are superior handling bikes. The cost to fun ratio is about 3-4 times higher on the Monkey/RST Combo.

Both bike suffer badly from inferior hub engagement points to the point of near unrideability.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes the v-brakes are anoyingly loud but they work for the beater bike both my other monkeys have discs,but I wont take either one out to those trails that place is abrasive
on bikes & body.

going29az its actually a 22 tooth eno.make an offer.

·