Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike was designed to push bike handling to the edge of the envelope. The chain stays are a short 15.25"which would normally be difficult to do with 26" wheels. To make this happen, the bottom bracket shell was widened to 80mm, rear hub spacing was widened to 160mm and a track style rear drop out was used. The bottom bracket height was placed at 16" for maximum clearance. Three of these prototype "Woods Bikes" were made and there was a short review in the November 1991 Dirt Rag magazine, written by Jay DeJesus. A NC-based doctor saw the review and purchased this bike from Grove. A second bike was destroyed in testing and Bill Grove still has the third bike. He brought it to the 2007 Cackalacky Cup which saw the reunion of the only two remaining bikes!

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
That is a pretty sweet looking bike, but can one of you tell me, what handling were they looking for out of this bike? It's a unique design, but I'm confused as to what this geometry specifically gives performance-wise...

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The short chain stay were to make it climb and the tall bottom bracket was so it didn't get hung up on East coast roots. I think it was mostly an experiment to push the limits and see what happened. It doesn't ride too bad once you get going but when you stop it is like falling off of a step ladder. The tall stem was to compensate for the higher seat position.

The hubs were made by Grove.

There was a Dirt Rag article by Jay DeJesus which I'll try to get scanned and post a copy.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Needs really upright barends. ;)
You just made me blow milk out my nose....and I don't even drink the stuff! LMAO ..:eek:

Love the splatter paint, especially the color combos used.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Picking up where Jeff left off, here's the other remaining Woods Bike.

After the prototype was destroyed in a fit of anger by a brief shop employee, #2 was finished and sold to a NC physician before finding it's way to First Flight. #3 hung in the rafters until Randy and Bill dissolved their business relationship, then was finished, along with a bunch of other "unusual / wart" bikes, and taken to the Bicycle Shop to be sold as a frame kit. The bike did not sell and was eventually lost when Bill closed down the Centrehall shop.

A few phone calls later, I pulled this frame kit out of a barn in 2006, built it up with NOS parts, and took it to NC for the 2007 Cacalacky Cup where I gave it back to Bill and it was re-united with it's brother.

It has hung in Bill's basement since that time, until it's care was passed to me a few weeks ago.

Enjoy...

Woods side shot.jpg
Woods front shot.jpg
Woods bb.jpg
Woods rear hub.jpg
Woods crank.jpg
Woods downtube.jpg
Woods bar code.jpg

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
Picking up where Jeff left off, here's the other remaining Woods Bike.

After the prototype was destroyed in a fit of anger by a brief shop employee, #2 was finished and sold to a NC physician before finding it's way to First Flight. #3 hung in the rafters until Randy and Bill dissolved their business relationship, then was finished, along with a bunch of other "unusual / wart" bikes, and taken to the Bicycle Shop to be sold as a frame kit. The bike did not sell and was eventually lost when Bill closed down the Centrehall shop.

A few phone calls later, I pulled this frame kit out of a barn in 2006, built it up with NOS parts, and took it to NC for the 2007 Cacalacky Cup where I gave it back to Bill and it was re-united with it's brother.

It has hung in Bill's basement since that time, until it's care was passed to me a few weeks ago.

Enjoy...

View attachment 1329497
View attachment 1329499
View attachment 1329501
View attachment 1329503
It needs BIGGER pics. PLease.

·
artistic...
7,601 Posts
Geo may be extreme but details are sooo cool here: front derr plate. bridgeless stays. crankset. rings. rear hub. stem and of course... paint. If there is a bike made for a hite rite is this...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,344 Posts
Yee gads I miss the days of, "what the hell, let's try it and see what happens".

Just like cars nowadays, bikes from across the parking lot, all look identical, and it sucks.

This thing is a work of kinetic art.

Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Awesome bike Rody!!! I'm glad it's in your hands. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts