Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Slower riders at the back, faster up front. Also make sure your bike is tuned and ready to go, no one likes to wait around in the parking lot / trailside while you adjust your brakes, etc. Other than that its all about having a good time. Its always good to mix it up with other riders.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
It's simple, but there's a little more to it than just go out and ride. First of all show up prepared. You don't want to be changing a flat or tuning your bike when everyone else is ready to ride. Bring an extra tube, you or someone else may need it, air, and a chain tool. It's very important like the others have stated for you to find a comfortable spot and hang out there. Don't start leading the group until you've rode with them some to get the feel of it and more importantly to see if your body can take it. It's obvious, but some groups ride very fast and others don't want to lose anyone. If you want to pass announce to the person ahead of you which side you want to pass them on. For example, "On your left." Sometimes if I feel I'm holding someone up I'll ask them if they want to pass. Just use common sense, be polite, and have fun.

·
Mark
204 Posts
#1 rule IMHO: Don't block the trail if you stop.

I ride SS with several groups and nothing is more annoying than finding a rider who has failed to make the climb blocking the good line!

Some of the more experienced guys I've ridden with will actually be on their back, still clipped in but with the bike in the air above them so as to leave the trail clear...

Kinda goes like this:

them: "Ouch"
me: "You ok?"
them: "Yeah, I'll catch up."

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
hoovermd said:

I ride SS with several groups and nothing is more annoying than finding a rider who has failed to make the climb blocking the good line!

Some of the more experienced guys I've ridden with will actually be on their back, still clipped in but with the bike in the air above them so as to leave the trail clear...

Kinda goes like this:

them: "Ouch"
me: "You ok?"
them: "Yeah, I'll catch up."
This is very good advice. When I spin out or can't make it up a hill I drag my bike off to the side of the trail so the others can pass.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Treat other riders as you would want to be treated. If you follow that ideology, you should know the right thing to do.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Be friendly, find out if your group has a no-drop policy and a how to handle intersections policy. The ladies groups I ride with does both. We have a designatied sweeper to bring up the rear and whenever there's an intersection you wait for the person behind you to get here so they know where to turn.

Make sure your bike is in good working order, and be prepared: water, food tubes etc.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Lots of good advice, with hoovermd's being pretty high on the list.

One more - if you're in the lead, and are about to pass other bikers or hikers, it's good to shout out to your group a little warning on what to expect. It's a courtesy to your group (they can slow down a bit if hammering and not run into anyone), and a courtesy to the other biker(s) or hiker(s). It's also nice to let them know how many there are in your group, so they can know when they can resume their pace/hike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the point to having rules to a group ride?

If you're not already friends and you don't know the people, why ride with them in the first place?

Everyone I see on the trail anyway I end up passing anyway so I don't see the point of riding at anything other than your own pace...

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
jc99 said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the point to having rules to a group ride?

If you're not already friends and you don't know the people, why ride with them in the first place?

Everyone I see on the trail anyway I end up passing anyway so I don't see the point of riding at anything other than your own pace...
someone with your attitude probably shouldnt go on group rides (no offence)

group rides are about meeting new people and riding new places and learning new skills
theres nothing wrong with allways hammering and going as fast as you can , but some people like to see the sights or maybe following someone better to pick up trail skills or even stop and sesion a difficult area

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
jc99 said:

I think there are several advantages to a group ride but the biggest reason for me is that it's fun. Kinda like sex. Sex with a group can be a whole lot more exciting than doing it solo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
dan0 said:
someone with your attitude probably shouldnt go on group rides (no offence)
That's not my attitude towards biking (i.e. "I see someone, I will make it a point to leave him coughing in my dust.") That's just what happens when I'm going my normal pace. :)

Maybe I've only seen casual bikers. Maybe it's because I've put on 10lbs since starting biking 6 months ago and I have ripped legs. I have no clue. Like I said, I've never been on a group ride and none of my friends seem to want to get into biking as much as I have.

For meeting new people, I guess group rides are a good idea. How do you guys find these group rides though?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
hoovermd said:
Hell yes, I hate it when people do that. This summer I came across a guy sitting in the middle of the trail with his bike fiddling with his blackberry or whatever it was.... what a jerk. Nothing annoys me more.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Pretty good info! One more important peice of advice. In our group it is the resposibiliity of the new guy to bring the beer! This is no joke!
I you don't, don't expect to be called for the next ride!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
jc99 said:
That's not my attitude towards biking (i.e. "I see someone, I will make it a point to leave him coughing in my dust.") That's just what happens when I'm going my normal pace. :)

Maybe I've only seen casual bikers. Maybe it's because I've put on 10lbs since starting biking 6 months ago and I have ripped legs. I have no clue. Like I said, I've never been on a group ride and none of my friends seem to want to get into biking as much as I have.

For meeting new people, I guess group rides are a good idea. How do you guys find these group rides though?
in NE its NEMBA check around your area and see who does all the trail maintenance, they generally have an email list you can get on and members post rides when they are doing one. Its also a good way to find new trails

PS dont be afraid to help out on a trail day

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
jc99 said:

I don't know you at all and I'm 100% sure that there are plenty of people who are way faster than you. Go to your local bike shop or club and go on some group rides. Eventually you will find the fast folks and they will blow you away.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.