Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very tire curious. I knew they were coming but had no idea how soon. Still no ETA, at least now they are up on the website with price and a coming soon disclaimer. Hopefully soon is soon.

Steven
Ground_Control_Fat.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
why would you trade b/l for gc?
looks like essentially same tread pattern , same width, same price.

dave

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Gcappy said I believe it will roll faster, the knobs are shorter and the spacing is slightly different.

why would you trade b/l for gc?
looks like essentially same tread pattern , same width, same price.

dave
Cool, thanks!

3-4 weeks is what I was told last week so... ;)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Spoke with Spec. dealer in MD on Saturday. His computer shows "late march" availability. He goes on to say that this may be just a first shipment and some fulfillment of pre-orders. Does not mean that there is warehouse stock or anybody can order today and receive them next week. Goes on to say that the message might be updated at any time to a later date because of delays or the first batch sold out and the next is expected on ____.

Warehouse stock that any dealer can order and get in his next delivery usually says, "Quantity : 20+"

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm new to the fat bike scene and have a Fatboy with the GC's, but damn that seems expensive to me. $320 for a set? I hope these bad boys last a long time.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Spoke with Spec. dealer in MD on Saturday. His computer shows "late march" availability. He goes on to say that this may be just a first shipment and some fulfillment of pre-orders. Does not mean that there is warehouse stock or anybody can order today and receive them next week. Goes on to say that the message might be updated at any time to a later date because of delays or the first batch sold out and the next is expected on ____.

Warehouse stock that any dealer can order and get in his next delivery usually says, "Quantity : 20+"
This is surprising, with their track record of delivering the Fatboy promptly:skep: one one think they could just order and bam they would show up in a few days ;)

We are just happy to see a price and for them to show up on the website.

·
1,711 Posts
3-4 weeks is what I was told last week so... ;)
I heard this but most likely longer.

I have a friend who was trying to set his ground control up tubeless and blew it off the rim and destroyed it. No way to order a new one. Shop owner is so awesome she gave him the tire off her Fatboy... one of the tires that won the 2014 Fat Bike Birkie and national champ. It's much faster than his old ground control ;)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is surprising, with their track record of delivering the Fatboy promptly:skep: one one think they could just order and bam they would show up in a few days ;)

We are just happy to see a price and for them to show up on the website.
This dealer is admittedly not fat-knowledgeable. The weight and price made him do a double take. After he read the specs to me and availability note I asked him what that means in his experience with any of their other products in the dealer portal. Keeping the conversation light and not throwing anyone under the bus I refrained from the delivery issues of their bike. We're not in the fat-bike-belt and he'll probably never have one on the floor anyway.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was hoping for a little less expensive but it looks like a nice tire on the fat boys I've seen. Has anyone done a Lou/Ground Control side by side comparison? I am hoping that the ground control will be just small enough to fit on my pugs.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The ground control I saw on the specialized rim was almost dead on 4.5". It does not look as big as Lou/Bud, which to me is a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm hoping for 4.5" as well, I'm pretty sure that will fit on my new Mukluk.

Coming from the world of motorcycles it's pretty amazing what you guys are used to in terms of pricing, I can literally get a complete set of tires for my 450 motocross bike for $160-180. Hopefully with the segment growing choices will increase and prices will come down.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm hoping for 4.5" as well, I'm pretty sure that will fit on my new Mukluk.

Coming from the world of motorcycles it's pretty amazing what you guys are used to in terms of pricing, I can literally get a complete set of tires for my 450 motocross bike for $160-180. Hopefully with the segment growing choices will increase and prices will come down.
I hear you on the motorcycle tire prices vs bike tire prices. The only thing I find comfort in is that at least my bike tires last a few seasons whereas my motorcycle tires are good for a few months if that. Both sports are pretty expensive when you factor in all the consumables.

I don't know anything about making tires so I can't say if it is over priced or not. I also don't see a point in complaining about pricing because it is not as though I am forced into buying it. Fat bike tires can last a long time given the soft conditions that most people use them in. I would imagine that this makes it difficult for manufacturers who rely on frequent replacement of consumables to keep product moving.

At least we are seeing other options which gives me the ability to vote with my dollars.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Seems Specialized has mis- timed the market, again (as in fatboy bike shortage). Here in the west, we are mountain biking already. That said, I have been riding the Spec Ground Control Fatboy tire since December (tubeless- no less) and must say the rock! By far the best Fatbike tire to date (IMO), light, quick rolling, fat (as in true 4.6"= 4.5" actual sizing). I had to pony up and purchase a complete Fatboy bike in order to cannibalize the tires, but was able to re-sell the bike and come out at an equivalent price point of the $ 160/ per tire asking price. The nice thing is I helped a bud get into the Fatboy bike he wanted and in the process and I have been able to enjoy these awesome tires all winter long. My bud will use the money hes saved on the Fatboy purchase to upgrade his bike to the GC tires, once available. For anyone hesitating about ordering these tires, do it you will be very pleased!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts