Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a strange question, not even sure if it's in the right forum, but i'll ask here anyways.

I've been riding for a number of years, I recently suffered from IT band syndrome which kept me off the bike for a little but now I am back out riding. I have run into a problem that is really bothering me. My right leg (not the one that suffered from ITBS) has been giving me problems with my pedal stroke, after a bit of riding my groin muscle gets really sore. The probem is occuring when I am pulling my pedal back up on the up stroke. I can't for the life of me isolate it to use my hamstring, it's my groin doing all the work which is very weird. I don't have this problem in my other leg and have never had this problem in all my years of riding. It is very frustrating since my groin obviously fatigues alot quicker than my hamstrings would, I always have to cut my rides short because my groin gets to overworked and I can't take the pain.

Does anybody have any suggestions or maybe some recommendations I can try, this is really bothering me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
overcompensation

ok, this is a guess only and you probably should see a professional.

You might be over compensating with your 'good' leg by sitting on the bike crooked. From what i have read, you need to have someone watch you pedal hard on a trainer with your shirt off. They should look at your spine and see if it is curved, which would happen if you are sitting so that you don't reach as far with your 'bad' leg but are reaching too far with your 'good leg.

So what happens if this is the case? well that is a little fuzzy for me. Since this arose from an injury and not some leg length discrepency, I would guess you just need to strengthen and stretch the injured leg, maybe with some one legged pedal drills, weights etc. But see physio who bikes or someone else who really knows what they are talking about.

Oh, you might get a couple jokes here on the 'over-used groin' thread title.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Are you sure your previous pain was the IT band? If you are having other problems now, you may want to see a good health care provider again and explain the progression of your problems and all your symptoms. Sometimes back issues (herniated or bulging discs) can irritate or impinge nerves and that can cause pain and weakenss in your legs. If your hamstrings are not firing well because of nerve issues, that could result in what you are experiencing. It could also explain pain that felt like an IT band problem.

Certainly nobody could diagnose you without a complete exam, history, and appropriate testing. And my guess is that it's not likely your back is the problem, but it is one possibility. I'd follow the advice above about having someone watch you on the bike to see if that reveals anything and also see an appropriate health care provider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.