Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
May I recommend “not listening” to Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend being mauled and eaten alive. The camera was rolling but the lens cap was thankfully still on. Pretty disturbing to listen to.
I went down a rabbit hole looking for this and researching it. The audio version that can be found pretty easily is fake; the actual audio was never released.

The audio was definitely disturbing when I listed to it before I found out it was fake. Regardless, you can imagine that it was probably close enough to the real audio and couldn't have been a pleasant way to go.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There may not have been any trees to hang the food from — it happened right in town (Ovando). There aren’t many trees in Ovando.

As sad as it is, when people come to Montana, they’d better be aware of and prepared for grizzly bears— they are doing VERY well here. Here’s a pic I shot a few days ago near one of my backyard trails: View attachment 1939081
Do you carry on a regular basis ?
What are the gun laws out there ?
Crazy to think a grizzly could be in your backyard.
Here in NJ we have the highest density population of black bear in the US and the bear hunt on state grounds is being halted.
Not grizzlies but scary nonetheless and always on my mind when riding.
Oh and we can’t carry - and can’t carry bear spray either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I went down a rabbit hole looking for this and researching it. The audio version that can be found pretty easily is fake; the actual audio was never released.

The audio was definitely disturbing when I listed to it before I found out it was fake. Regardless, you can imagine that it was probably close enough to the real audio and couldn't have been a pleasant way to go.
I did some research on this a few years back when I was doing a project in college, and this was what I eventually found as well.

If you ever find any claimed audio from that night, as far as I know, it is fake. But I'm sure that doesn't make it less disturbing to listen to.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts

I did some research on this a few years back when I was doing a project in college, and this was what I eventually found as well.

If you ever find any claimed audio from that night, as far as I know, it is fake. But I'm sure that doesn't make it less disturbing to listen to.
I listened to it years ago. Then I recently went looking for it again. I came across a video of a guy with headphones on listening to it in front of Timothys mom. After listening he handed to tape over to Tim’s mom and recommended she never listen to it and to destroy it. They didn’t say whether it was destroyed or not or if it was ever released to the public. I then came across audio claiming it was it. Very disturbing audio that I only listened to for a minute or two. If it was fake it was well done and in my opinion pretty twisted to make and release it as the actual audio.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Here in NJ we have the highest density population of black bear in the US and the bear hunt on state grounds is being halted.

I carry bear spray in a chest holster on every ride, yes. When I say ‘backyard’, well, I live 1 mile away from a massive wilderness area (it is not designated “W” wilderness, but for all intents and purposes, it is the same and animals can’t tell the difference nor read the signs).

Gun laws, you say? In Montana? 🤣🤣🤣

I could carry one on any ride I want, but don’t a) because of the weight and b) because I don’t think they’re as effective as bear spray in a biking situation. In most grizzly encounters, you have literally seconds to respond. I have been sprayed with bear spray once indirectly— and let’s just say that stuff is naaaaassty.

If I were you, I’d carry bear spray while riding. There’s no way a law against that, when you’re outdoors, is constitutional. Same with a gun, really, though I will leave it at that for now. 😉

We have lots of black bears too, but they’re far less dangerous than grizzlies. But I suppose that depends on the region. Grizzlies are expanding their range here because they are becoming overpopulated— and they are much more territorial; they need more space per bear. We are going to see more and more instances like this one, unfortunately.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,378 Posts

Montana(and most of the decent states out west not including CA) have common sense gun laws.
No issues carrying if you choose to do so.

Why aren't you allowed bear spray?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Montana(and most of the decent states out west not including CA) have common sense gun laws.
No issues carrying if you choose to do so.

Why aren't you allowed bear spray?

“A person possessing a larger quantity would be guilty of a disorderly persons offense and subject to a fine of at least $100. However, because bear spray devices contain much more than three-quarters of an ounce of a chemical substance, current law effectively prohibits the possession of bear spray.Feb 28, 2017”

“The only non-lethal weapon specifically authorized under New Jersey law is pepper spray; but only if it is under three quarters of an ounce. “

“New Jersey gun laws are some of the most restrictive in the United States. It is a “May Issue” state so a person must demonstrate a justifiable need to carry a firearm. In reality it acts more like a “No Issue” state for regular citizens as permits are very difficult to obtain.”

Even if you have a permit here - you cannot carry a gun.
You’d need a rare special permit.
If you are on your way to a range gun & ammo must me in glove box and ammo in trunk or Vice versa or you’re looking @ a felony.

I have Encountered black bears @ a distance - some are massive .
You don’t realize it until you see them -startling.
NY state is no better.
They are doubling here and so are complaints.
To be honest I’ve stopped riding a few of my favorite places due to this unless I’m with a large group
This spotted last week

·
All fat, all the time.
9,378 Posts
Dang, nothing like an over reaching state.
No wonder why people are leaving places like that in droves.

I've not seen a grizzly in the wild, but have seen 3 black bears. All a decent distance and they ran away as soon as I made noise. It is a spooky feeling though, they are large. I've had more close calls with cats to be honest.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Dang, nothing like an over reaching state.
No wonder why people are leaving places like that in droves.

I've not seen a grizzly in the wild, but have seen 3 black bears. All a decent distance and they ran away as soon as I made noise. It is a spooky feeling though, they are large. I've had more close calls with cats to be honest.

2014 kids got too close …

·
39,606 Posts
New Jersey needs to rethink some of those laws. And that photo is a big old male Black Bear.

I’ve seen so many Black Bears in my life. As a kid in Upstate New York we used to camp in the Adirondacks. Back then in the 1970’s they had dump sites for all the surrounding campgrounds. These days all the trash is hauled away to avoid bear conflict. Many evenings on these camping trips my dad would load us up right at dusk and go to a dump site. It didn’t take long before 10 or more Black Bears were there scavenging. They come out of the woods right before dark to feed. Quite a thrill to see as a kid.

As an adult I moved back to Colorado from California in 2012. Since that time I’ve had 12 bear sightings in Colorado. The most memorable being a momma and three Cubs. I spotted them up on a mountain side moving along at a pretty good clip. At the bottom of the mountain was a river. They were paralleling the river. I was on the other side of the river. I wanted some photos so I was moving along paralleling the river and stopping trying to get some shots between clearings, suddenly the sow headed straight downhill in my direction. I froze. She popped out of the tall grass directly across from me on the other side of the river. She stopped at the rivers edge staring me down as I was frozen in place. I slowly turned and walked slowly away in the opposite direction keeping an eye on her over my shoulder. Luckily she saw me as no threat to the Cubs and turned and headed back up the mountain to her Cubs. I managed to get a photo of her staring me down though. I was pushing my luck that day and very foolish on my part, not recommended.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Biggest black bear I've ever seen in my life was in Wawayanda State Park, New Jersey. Was easily the size of some of the brown bears I've seen on Kodiak, no joke.

New Jersey is an absolute police state. If I still lived there I'd be in prison or dead.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
New Jersey needs to rethink some of those laws. And that photo is a big old male Black Bear.

I’ve seen so many Black Bears in my life. As a kid in Upstate New York we used to camp in the Adirondacks. Back then in the 1970’s they had dump sites for all the surrounding campgrounds. These days all the trash is hauled away to avoid bear conflict. Many evenings on these camping trips my dad would load us up right at dusk and go to a dump site. It didn’t take long before 10 or more Black Bears were there scavenging. They come out of the woods right before dark to feed. Quite a thrill to see as a kid.

As an adult I moved back to Colorado from California in 2012. Since that time I’ve had 12 bear sightings in Colorado. The most memorable being a momma and three Cubs. I spotted them up on a mountain side moving along at a pretty good clip. At the bottom of the mountain was a river. They were paralleling the river. I was on the other side of the river. I wanted some photos so I was moving along paralleling the river and stopping trying to get some shots between clearings, suddenly the sow headed straight downhill in my direction. I froze. She popped out of the tall grass directly across from me on the other side of the river. She stopped at the rivers edge staring me down as I was frozen in place. I slowly turned and walked slowly away in the opposite direction keeping an eye on her over my shoulder. Luckily she saw me as no threat to the Cubs and turned and headed back up the mountain to her Cubs. I managed to get a photo of her staring me down though. I was pushing my luck that day and very foolish on my part, not recommended.

View attachment 1939240

View attachment 1939241
I love the ADK and I rode there last summer as I’m sure many do on this forum .

Yes the closing speed is deceptive. I was riding w a group a few years back and the ride leader stopped and pointed a bear on a ridge at least a football field away - ha started yelling @ it jumped up an Down and the bear took it off - his reasoning was their closing speed and not to startle it.
Most thought it was far enough away to ignore he disagreed- vehemently .

This all said about bears - I’m doing this in August.

Outer banks alligator river bear refuge

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
I've come up to within 4 ft of black bears mountain biking three separate times. Twice in Oregon(same exact spot and probably the same bear) once in Washington. The power, speed, and grace they have to take off up steep hills or through brush is just incredible. The black bears I've encountered in the Northeast want to get out of your way but not with such urgency.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Biggest black bear I've ever seen in my life was in Wawayanda State Park, New Jersey. Was easily the size of some of the brown bears I've seen on Kodiak, no joke.

New Jersey is an absolute police state. If I still lived there I'd be in prison or dead.

What a place to ride that’s what I was referring to as I ride with a group.

I don’t need to run into a mother and Cubs.

NJ is a police state 100% run by a power hungry Murphy who wants to be President.
NJ is actually still under covid state mandate.

I would move tomorrow if my parents weren’t elderly.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
This all said about bears - I’m doing this in August.

Outer banks alligator river bear refuge

That's really cool. I grew up fishing the outer banks with my grandfather, awesome area. I through backpacked the Olympic peninsula coastline in the early 2000s. Watched a black bear turning over rocks and feeding in the tide pools one morning. Something I'd like to do again.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ohh, bear story time?

This is the closest I've ever been to a bear.

I was backpacking the "Wonderland" trail around the base of Mt Rainier (~93 miles, 22k ft elevation gain, but we were only doing about 1/3 of it at the time), when my group ran into a group of women who were hiking, and were freaked out that a bear was on trail shortly up the trail. So now our group (6-7 people now, as I was hiking with 2 buddies). They said it had been 15-20 min since they saw it though, so we all decided to hike back up and see if it was even still there.

It was. It was sitting directly on the trail as we came around a corner. I'd guess it was 50-60ft away tops. It didn't move when we yelled out "hey bear!", but when the group grouped up and started walking towards it, it ran up the tree that is just barely out of frame on the right.

Luckily I was hiking with my DSLR in hand, and got this shot. A touch of motion blur because of the low-ish shutter speed and apparently shakier hands than normal. But its not bad enough to totally ruin the photo luckily.

We had to hike directly past/under that tree though, so we ended up getting much closer in linear distance after it had climbed up (the bear was maybe 10-15ft up the tree, but the trail was only 10-15ft from the base of the tree). But we stayed as a group, all facing it as we went past it.

I've not had tons of experience around bears, but I wouldn't say I have no idea about what to do around them either. I know we probably could have handled the situation better, I'm aware of that. However, the bear definitely looked/acted more worried about us, and was clearly skittish. So I felt comfortable making a move towards it, which paid off. But if the bear had shown ANY signs of aggression/agitation, we wouldn't have moved ahead at all.

·
39,606 Posts
Logan, great shot and story.

Remember with Black Bears you do not play dead or run or climb a tree. You fight back, yell, make yourself as big as possible and if it attacks try to punch it in the muzzle. Good luck!

Grizzly Bears you play dead, leave your pack on and lay on your stomach. Hands on the back of your neck and spread your legs out as far as possible to lesson the chance of the bear rolling you over. Good luck! X10

21 - 40 of 53 Posts