Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,206 Posts
Twice I've heard that these people had food in their tent(s). Still not verified.
Even the raccoons here will come through the side of your tent to get food. Can't imagine it happening in bear country. (!!!!)
Very sad, and a heck of a way to go.

-F

·
Registered
84 Posts
lots of people have camped with food in there tent. granted last time i did a 11 day bush float, i camped with my food next to my head and a rifle laying next to me. We where to far in the bush to lose any of our food. ie hundred miles from any "store".

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,700 Posts
that area has the highest concentration of grizzlies...so, yeah....danger

also did you know... if you let a grizzly chew on you, someone has to track it down and kill it ? so, please, when handling grizzlies, don't let them chew on you and you're good.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
lots of people have camped with food in there tent. granted last time i did a 11 day bush float, i camped with my food next to my head and a rifle laying next to me. We where to far in the bush to lose any of our food. ie hundred miles from any "store".
So you play the lottery, great.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,051 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully there's some solace in knowing she went doing what she loved. May she rest in peace.
I for one do not love getting eaten.

brown bears are known to go predatory against humans. That’s different from their defense/charging attacks where they will knock someone to the ground and keep smacking them down till they stop moving. When it’s predatory, they eat you on purpose.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,539 Posts
I for one do not love getting eaten.

brown bears are known to go predatory against humans. That’s different from their defense/charging attacks where they will knock someone to the ground and keep smacking them down till they stop moving. When it’s predatory, they eat you on purpose.
I ate someone by accident, once.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So you play the lottery, great.
actually no. you can not have a one shoe fits all when it comes to bears and where you are. Alaska bush, where you will not be able to get more food any time soon,you have to protect your food. Lower 48 where you will not starve because a bear took your food, hang it. assuming one way for everything shows people don't know much about the wilds of the world.

An alaskan bush pilot had a funny story about food in his tent. He help a guy get his grizzly bear, but the guy would not help the pilot get his bear. The pilot sat on stand for 12 hours and did not see any bears, he was so pissed off at the other guy, that when the other guy handed the pilot a tray of food, the pilot stomped off to his tent. The other guy yelled something about not having food in the tent. The pilots response was amazing. I just got done looking for bears for 12 hours, if you see one, send him to my tent.

if you know who Roman Dial is, when he does his big adventures, his food bag is his pillow. There are places you need to protect your food and there are places you can go days with out food if it is taken. You better know which one is which. Do you kick your wife out of the tent if it the time of the month?

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
actually no. you can not have a one shoe fits all when it comes to bears and where you are. Alaska bush, where you will not be able to get more food any time soon,you have to protect your food. Lower 48 where you will not starve because a bear took your food, hang it. assuming one way for everything shows people don't know much about the wilds of the world.

An alaskan bush pilot had a funny story about food in his tent. He help a guy get his grizzly bear, but the guy would not help the pilot get his bear. The pilot sat on stand for 12 hours and did not see any bears, he was so pissed off at the other guy, that when the other guy handed the pilot a tray of food, the pilot stomped off to his tent. The other guy yelled something about not having food in the tent. The pilots response was amazing. I just got done looking for bears for 12 hours, if you see one, send him to my tent.

if you know who Roman Dial is, when he does his big adventures, his food bag is his pillow. There are places you need to protect your food and there are places you can go days with out food if it is taken. You better know which one is which. Do you kick your wife out of the tent if it the time of the month?

This tragic story took place in the lower 48. Not judging but it seems to me that it was a mistake for her not to hang her food away from camp.

·
39,606 Posts

Still think securing the food away from the tent and being armed with a sidearm, rifle and bear spray is not a bad idea. As far as the wifey during her time of month, get her a her own tent down wind of yours. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
all of it is interesting, should she have hung her food off of the flag pole at the post office, she was camped next too?
This bear came back after the food was taken out of the tent, i am curious as to where the 2 parties put it after the bear came around the first time. IT came back, more than likely predatory at that point. It also raided a chicken coop.

bear spray is great, but be very careful shooting if off in your tent.

I do have a 10 day remote float in alaska coming up, i did rent a bear fence for that trip.
Few years back i was on a remote float and we where being dilligent on trash, food, smells ect.
The last night before being picked up, after eating my mountain house, i tossed it next to my tarp.
My bud was like dude, you can't do that. I laughed and went, we have 1500lbs of meat hanging, i have blood in my hair and on my clothes, if it wants the mountain house package, it can have it. He just laughed and went i see your point.

I have done first aid on people who had been attacked by a grizzly bear, i fully know what they can do. Heck i even got my name in the paper when i helped craig medred the famous alaskan outdoor writer. His pistol had teeth marks in it.
i do not want to **** with a grizzly bear, but i can't go with a one thing for everything rule. As a whole hang your food, but i do not believe it to be written in stone.

·
39,606 Posts
Sounds like you have experience in Grizzly country. What’s the recommended thing to do in securing the food? Running it up a tree away from camp sounds like best thing. I know brown bears can climb but not nearly as good as Black Bears. And where there are brown bears it’s a slim chance any Black Bears will be around.
Edit: Oops, nevermind I see you already said that.

·
39,606 Posts
May I recommend “not listening” to Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend being mauled and eaten alive. The camera was rolling but the lens cap was thankfully still on. Pretty disturbing to listen to.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
84 Posts
black bears climb extremely well. the preferred hanging method is roughly 12 feet off of the ground, 10 feet out from the tree. if you just hang off of a tree limb, they can climb up and take your food. I have seen poles lashed between trees, so that way they food can be hung up and away from anything.

I was followed back to camp, the meat was hanging 20 feet up and 10 feet from any pole. the poles had metal on them to stop the claws from digging into the tree. we figured the sow lifted the cub up to get past the metal on the pole and the cub climbed up and got a quarter of an elk. when they want it, they want it. That same trip, i was a mile off of a trail and just wandering around, i saw the boar grizzly about 20 yards away. Luckily, i saw him, before he saw me. that mile back to the trail and the 2 miles to the truck where pretty intense.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There may not have been any trees to hang the food from — it happened right in town (Ovando). There aren’t many trees in Ovando.

As sad as it is, when people come to Montana, they’d better be aware of and prepared for grizzly bears— they are doing VERY well here. Here’s a pic I shot a few days ago near one of my backyard trails:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts