Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
This should be a fun, hard race. I'll be down in SG that weekend, maybe I should do it.

The problem is which bike. I usually take the big bike to SG area for the junk, jumps, and drops I enjoy but the XC bike would be a better bet for most of the race. Parts of Zen and Barrels will be a bit sketchy on the small bike though.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
KRob said:
This should be a fun, hard race. I'll be down in SG that weekend, maybe I should do it.

The problem is which bike. I usually take the big bike to SG area for the junk, jumps, and drops I enjoy but the XC bike would be a better bet for most of the race. Parts of Zen and Barrels will be a bit sketchy on the small bike though.

Thoughts?
Rigid fixie, like SlowerThenSnot.

This will be the first time in four trips I will be riding a bike with suspension. Not sure which it will be, though.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
shiggy said:
Rigid fixie, like SlowerThenSnot.

This will be the first time in four trips I will be riding a bike with suspension. Not sure which it will be, though.
I'm pretty familiar with all the trails involved and 80-85% of it will be fine with a short travel FS. I guess if STS can do it on a rigid fixie I can endure my 4" FS bike on the rougher sections.

What suspension options are you choosing from?

The other choice I have to make is whether I want to spend all day riding/racing those trails (and paying for the privilege) or just ride the trails I want (Zen/Barrels/Goose/Little Creek) for free and at my own pace. Hmm.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Seriously considering this race; I'm in Vegas for work the same week & was planning on heading N to St. George anyway for a few days of riding on Friday. Never ridden in St. George and am curious whether a 28lb squish, 23lb SS or 23lb geared HT would be best for me. All 29er. SS is easiest to fly with, HT is stupid fast, squish is heavy & a ***** to pack but encourages rowdy lines. Hmmm.

I like tech a lot so I'm good with that but climbing & are aren't always friends, anyone have any idea on total elevation gain over the whole course? I see sections of it on the page linked above but no total course profile.

50mi of racing might be a nice way to kick off 4 days of riding & dubious training value....

·
Registered
80 Posts
skunkty14

I am also heading out there from CO early Thursday. I have never been to SG but my plan is to ride Gooseberry on the way into town Thursday and then maybe some of the race course Friday, or maybe goose again if it is as good as everyone says it is. I am far from a racer, just started last year but for what its worth I will be trying to finish this early season race on my Niner One9. I thought I read somewhere there was probably around 7 or 8k of climbing, pretty typical I guess.

have fun.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
skunkty14 said:
Seriously considering this race; I'm in Vegas for work the same week & was planning on heading N to St. George anyway for a few days of riding on Friday. Never ridden in St. George and am curious whether a 28lb squish, 23lb SS or 23lb geared HT would be best for me. All 29er. SS is easiest to fly with, HT is stupid fast, squish is heavy & a ***** to pack but encourages rowdy lines. Hmmm.

I like tech a lot so I'm good with that but climbing & are aren't always friends, anyone have any idea on total elevation gain over the whole course? I see sections of it on the page linked above but no total course profile.

50mi of racing might be a nice way to kick off 4 days of riding & dubious training value....
When we ride the 440 in the fall which is the same course without the junk road miles thrown in to make it 50, the total climbing is a little over 5k.

This race course is no joke, I rode it last year SS and the only thing I have to compare it to, as far as how I feel at the end, is maybe the Whiskey 50. The Whiskey has more elevation gain but it's easier climbing, less technical grinding.

·
Registered
763 Posts
can't get right said:
When we ride the 440 in the fall which is the same course without the junk road miles thrown in to make it 50, the total climbing is a little over 5k.

This race course is no joke, I rode it last year SS and the only thing I have to compare it to, as far as how I feel at the end, is maybe the Whiskey 50. The Whiskey has more elevation gain but it's easier climbing, less technical grinding.
Sounds like gears for me (save my knees a bit). This will be my first trip out west (I'm a New Englander) aside from the CA coast with road bike so I'm looking forward to different terrain. I'm accustomed to a 50 miler I do every year (Vermont 50) having ~8000ft. of gain over the course but without the technical challenge. The lower pace due to tech might work in my favor? Or beat me down. Either way it sounds attractive.

If any of you see a fat dude in an orange & white kit trying to hump a 9er around your trails say hello.

·
Registered
763 Posts
For an out of towner can anyone comment on tire selection for 29er? My default right now is Specialized Captains b/c that's what's on the bike, maybe go to a Fast Trak in the rear for dryer conditions? I run Control casing because I'm fat & destroy sworks casings.

I have easy access to Specialized tires & some of the Maxxis line FWIW.

·
Registered
216 Posts
my 2Cents

I think Fast trak's are optimal but captains will be just fine. Some locals I know run a Captain in the front and a Fast Track in back. Control's are a must (rear) for me and I'm 140lbs. So maybe an Armadillo in the rear or UST Grid in the rear. Personally I run an S-works up front and a Control in the back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skunkty14 said:
For an out of towner can anyone comment on tire selection for 29er? My default right now is Specialized Captains b/c that's what's on the bike, maybe go to a Fast Trak in the rear for dryer conditions? I run Control casing because I'm fat & destroy sworks casings.

I have easy access to Specialized tires & some of the Maxxis line FWIW.
It's all about personal preference but I think Continental Mountain Kings kick some mean ass and are a great choice for this course.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
skunkty14 said:

6500 feet of total elevation gain

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.