Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you use for RACING?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Racer
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses which? What are the pro's and con's of each?

I've always used trigger shifters but I'm thinking about going to an x.0 grip shift. I think it would be easier to shift out of turns because you just rotate your hand a little rather than fumbling for the trigger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From the people i've talk they said NO to gripshifts ... why? you can accidently shift when comeing off a jump .
I have the X.O triggers and they shift speedy and swift :)
I leave gripshifts on my hardtail pavement/fireroad rides.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
throttle! pin it out of the corner! oh wait, I just cranked my cassette, I wasn't rollin' on the gas... stupid gripshift. yeah, last time I used it was like '98 or something...

got the itchy trigga' finger, so digger's wonda why, ya' livin' on the mountain is do or die, break'em off some. yeah, the chronic ruled.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like the grip for the rear since you can upshift so fast. You can avoid misshifting by keeping your palm a bit further out. I tried to go back to triggers last year, but really missed the speed of upshifting the entire cassette in certain situations.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
You can upshift pretty fast with X.9 and X.0 triggers, just push the upshift in more and you'll shift two or three gears.

But its prefrence, some people kust like them better. I guess they are a bit lighter than triggers, but thats getting into real weight weenie stuff. You can also run gripshift length grips if you wanna save 10 grams or something

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've ridden trials on grip shift without the accidental shifts. May take a ride or two to get used to, but it isn't that tough. Especially if you get the shorty grip shifters. That being said, modern high end trigger shifters can upshift pretty darn quick too.

Anything but rapid rise!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.