Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my GF her first Mtn Bike. On our first ride the grips were spinning in her hand. I went to my LBS to look at new ones but she has the twist shifters where you twist the ring along the handlebars to shift gears. The grips on these are much shorter than standard and the bike shop did not have anything to fit. I also have a pair of bar ends I plan on putting on her bike, so this may help prevent the grips from spinning.

Is there something I can apply to keep the grips from spinning or should I look around at other bike stores to find some new grips that fit.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
what reptilezs said, just cut the new grips to the right length. to keep them from spinning you can clean the handlebar and the inside of the grips with nail polish remover or iso-alcohol before you put them on. it usually evaporates pretty quick and makes the grips stick to the bar.
fritz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The grips are contoured to fit and look good to fit a small hand. I thought of cutting new ones but a guy at the LBS said best to find a pair specific for those shifters. I am hoping to find some type of adhesive or will be checking other stores for grips to fit on my next day off. If it comes down to it I will just cut some other grips to fit.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Spray paint. Hairspray will "melt" if you get caught in a bad enough rain storm. Spray paint will hold indefinitely. If you need to remove the grips, stick a small allen wrench under them and spray some glass cleaner and then work the grip and wrench around a bit and you can remove it w/o cutting them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.