Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have recommendations on soft and thin grips which would fit small hands? I sometimes get numbness on my palms (near the thumb area) so grips that would alleviate this issue would be great.

Was considering the DMR Deathgrips as well as the ODI Elite Flow.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have small hands and for years preferred ODI Ruffians. They are the smallest diameter lock-on's I've tried. The rubber is soft so they're grippy, but it's only a thin layer of material on top of the plastic core. They do transmit a lot of feedback from the trail, which depending on where you ride might be good or bad. For me it was too much on the hardest trails.

Right now my grip of preference is the Deathgrip in soft/thick. I found that bigger diameters are less tiring on bumpy terrain, despite having small hands for a guy.

Few mates ride ergon grips and only have good things to say.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I got small hands too. The two grips I've some to like are the Ergon GE1 slim and the ergo ESI grips. I just got an Ibis and it came with some Ibis branded Lizard Skins (Charger Evo) grips. Those feel pretty good too.

A couple things you can check on your bike is the mounting of your controls and bar rotation. If the bar is rotated too far back or too forward...it can put unequal amounts of pressure on your hands. Same with the controls. Depending on the position they can put your hands in a position where they are straining.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A second vote for the Ergon GE1 Slim here. Also the Ergon GD1 slim are pretty good too.

Also - agreed that you should try rotating the bars. I had terrible hand pain and eventually got the bars rotated spot on. I only get mild discomfort on longer rides now, but I guess that is normal for anyone.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sensus Swayze best grip period.

I didn't like my Deathgrips or Ergons. But I also wear medium sized gloves so I guess I don't have small hands.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
+1 on Ergon GE1 slim. Not cushy soft, but they have a subtle shape that works really well for me...not that I have small hands or anything.:rolleyes: With small diameter grips there's not much thickness for padding anyway. I used to run ESI silicone foam grips but the GE1s work much better for me. I didn't notice any benefit from the ESI padding and I get less arm pump with thinner grips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.