Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the grippiest or most grippy shoes for riding flats? Ive only ever ridden 5 10 freeriders which have seemed really good. I need something new and now there are other options like shimano and northwave that use Michelin rubber compounds, Giro and Pearl use Vibram and Spesh 2FO. Grip is the most important thing im looking for since i hate having my feet slide off. I dont care so much about walkability or how it looks. I tend to have wide feet too.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
5.10 impacts. Nothing else grips as much as 5.10s. I talked to the Ride Concept guys at Sea Otter and they claimed to be as grippy with the new shoes they have coming out. I haven't tried a pair yet to see if theit claim is true. I love Freeriders.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,947 Posts
5.10 Rubber is hard to beat especially in durability.

That said I have tried several flat shoes this past winter testing my Hot Sockee and found the Unparallel Sports shoes really good in the sticky dept, even in wet muddy conditions. I do not have long enough usage to comment on durability but so far really good even after running long pins all winter.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've been hearing some decent things about Ride Concepts.

I have Bontrager Flatline and they seem to work.

I can't compare mine to any others so maybe this answer isn't what you are asking about.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some Freeriders and Freerider xvi's from when before Adidas took over Five Ten. The Freeriders have been the most grippy and the xvi's a little less so. The xvi's have fallen apart (just a little) more. The Freeriders are still great. I wanted a back up pair in case my shoes are still wet from a prior ride or if i forget mine somewhere. So I'm going to try the Shimano GR7 and Northwave Clan. I see a lot of local guys with 2FOs as well. Ill post back to this tread after i try them out.

·
Registered
992 Posts
5.10 Rubber is hard to beat especially in durability.

That said I have tried several flat shoes this past winter testing my Hot Sockee and found the Unparallel Sports shoes really good in the sticky dept, even in wet muddy conditions. I do not have long enough usage to comment on durability but so far really good even after running long pins all winter.
Which US shoes did you get?

·
Registered
14,902 Posts
For the XC and trail riding you list on a hardtail your technique is more important. Good low heels with your butt off the saddle to put weight on your pedals going over rocks/roots. That angle and your weight will make it impossible to scrape your shoes off the pedals. And many combinations of running/trailrunning shoes and short rounded or stubby pins will not slide.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have had both 5.10 Freeriders and Ride Concepts Hellions. Both feel about the same as far the grip of the sole on the pedals but the Hellions are a lot stiffer and have way better toe and heel protection. That is comparing entry level 5.10s to more advanced RC shoe though. I would like to try a pair of Freerider Pros to compare to the Hellions. Definitely more impressed with the quality of the RCs though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
May be a bit against the grain but I ride Nike SB’s. They are superbly grippy on pedals and I like the flexibility. They are not as protective as a MTB specific shoe however. You can often find deals on them, I got my current pair for like 60 bucks and they are mid tops. I should have stocked up on like three pairs....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adidas is having a sale on select 5 10s. I may take a look.

One question i had is why are there flat shoes for clipless pedals? Depending on your pedal if there are no pins to contact the flat sole whats the point?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Been riding Vans and flats for over 30 years.
I still ride in my Vans occasionally just jumping on my bike and messing around as I wear Vans most days. Flat specific shoes definitely have more grip on the pedals. I had a hard time believing that they would grip any differently than a pair of skate shoes but I had a couple discount codes to Adidas and picked up my Freeriders for $60.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've just switched from (some well worn) Freeriders to Ride Concepts Hellion.

I ride pretty hard, on grade 5 trails - natural tech and DH. My impressions are that after 2 weeks of riding, the sole of the Hellion has broken in and is now offering similar levels of grip to the Freeriders. There's probably about 10% in it (if Freeriders are 100% grip). What I find better though, is the firmness of the shoe. I was getting a lot of fatigue in my foot due to the flexibility of the Freerider. The Hellion is very firm/stiff - so much so that I have been able to navigate some very coarse terrain with my foot poorly placed on the pedal (after taking it off to dab). It just doesn't flex as much, so even if it's not positioned right, I can put weight down and ride a section out.

It's too early to comment on durability, but theres no sign of wear so far. Reviews suggest they are super durable compared to Five-Tens. The quality of the finish is exceptional.

Fit is spot on (I'm a US 12), the lace retention system is really nice. They look sick as well. Quite warm though, coming from the canvas Freeriders. I'm ok with that, as winter is around the corner here in NZ.

Awesome shoe, would buy again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.