Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/girls. I'm currently running a Minion DHF 2.30 front and an Ardent Racs 2.35 rear. My Chameleon 29 came spec'd with these and I'm running them tubeless. I like the front tire but the rear is a little less grippy than I'd like in the corners, although I like how fast it rolls. I ride a mix of hardpack, sand, loose dirts, smaller rocks etc. Lots of roots too. Nothing too crazy but I almost lose the rear end a lot coming into and out of corners. Can anyone reccomend me a grippier Maxxis rear tire that will still roll well? I'm thinking about going with a Rekon 2.4. How would that pair up with a 2.3 front? Any other tires I should look at? Thanks In advance.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check out the Minion SS too, if you are running a DHF front. The Ardent is closer to the XC end of things, where the "SS" types of tires are more like enduro/free ride/DH tires with fast tread down the middle.

I was running the Minion SS and liked it, but wanted a bit wider so I have moved over to the e*thirteen SS. Really like it.

·
Registered
22 Fuel EX8
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm gonna with the Minion dhr ii on the rear. My front tire is 2.3. Should I go with the 2.3 or 2.4 version? In general I usually run a wider tire up front but I don't feel like buying a new front tire yet. I'm running in i30 wheels.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I think I'm gonna with the Minion dhr ii on the rear. My front tire is 2.3. Should I go with the 2.3 or 2.4 version? In general I usually run a wider tire up front but I don't feel like buying a new front tire yet. I'm running in i30 wheels.
With a 2.3 on the front, run a 2.3 on the rear (unless you want to change your front tire too, which you don't, which is fine).

I'm assuming your DHF on the front is MaxxTerra.

I would maybe try a DC 2.3 Aggressor on the rear. Or a DC 2.3 DHF. The DHF/DHR2 combo is a classic, but you may be "over tired" (in both senses of the term).

Sidenote:

My Honzo St 30th Birthday Special Edition came with 2.3 DHF front and rear (MaxxTerra and DC). I changed them immediately to a 2.5 MaxxTerra DHF and 2.5 DC Aggressor. I have been a tad vocal in other threads criticizing the Aggressor in super steep terrain, for its lack of braking prowess.

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

I have since come to really like the 2.5 DHF/Aggressor combo. Sure, the Aggressor has some braking limits in the super steep double black stuff, but it's not too bad after you get used to it. I never have problems in corners. That combo is fast rolling. At least for me it is, relative to other tire combos I am running. Then again, I'm running a 2.5 MaxxGripp Assegai and a 2.4 MaxxTerra Dissector on my full suspension, which (needless to say) is a little draggy.

Casings are something not yet discussed. I was shocked this year experimenting with different casings on the same tires, from DD to EXO+ to EXO. The same tire sometimes feels like a completely different animal in a different casing. As weight goes up, so does damping. If I was a stronger rider, I would run DD on all my bikes. DD tires laugh at what's in front of them on the downs (but cry on the ups). There's something to be said for having a ton of gas left in the tank at the summit, to be able to toss your bike around like a rag doll on the downs. The weight of the DDs conspires against that.

Ride profiles may also figure into it. My rides are almost always up up up, then down down down. Very little flats. Here's a ride I am doing today, for instance:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Plant Terrestrial plant

Anyway, expect an onslaught soon of anti-Maxxis protesters.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I use an 2.3 aggressor in the back, 2.3 DHF in the front. I had an ardent in the back for a while with a High Roller 2 in the front which rolled a little bit better, but the ardent would definitely break loose to early.

The aggressor/ DHF is a good combo, I like it a lot. Does a great job everywhere I ride.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I use an 2.3 aggressor in the back, 2.3 DHF in the front. I had an ardent in the back for a while with a High Roller 2 in the front which rolled a little bit better, but the ardent would definitely break loose to early.

The aggressor/ DHF is a good combo, I like it a lot. Does a great job everywhere I ride.
This is what I would try OP. Then again, I would try a lot of things. My garage is full of tires with a few rides on them. Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
My two cents, do the Aggressor rear. A bit better rolling than the DHR2, a bit less traction, but a lot more traction than the Ardent. It pairs well with the DHF and lasts a long time compared to some other Maxxis tires.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Aggresor it is!!! Thanks for the responses!!!
Go DC if you can find it. Otherwise MaxxTerra.

Casing wise, EXO+ is the sweet spot for me but I can easily get away with EXO, even on the rear. I'm 185 plus gear. Probably a crystal clear sign I should be pushing it WAY more out there ? I like to delude myself and others suggesting it's because of my ultra-smooth steeziness ?

HOWEVER…apart from weight, as I move up from EXO to EXO+ to DD, the ride feel improves immensely. When I moved from DD to EXO+ I thought someone had messed with my suspension settings, front and rear. It felt like my rebound was 10X more open than it was. I was pinging off things left, right and centre. And that's not just on the downs, but on technical climbing as well. I got used to it but I still dream of the beautiful, smash everything in sight, feeling I had running those DDs. I have a MaxxGrip Assegai and Dissector MaxxTerra, both brand new, both DD, that I hope to use after at the beginning of next season after a winter of fat biking, Zwifting and squatting.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
I'm gonna go non traditional and run the same front and rear but run dual compound rear.
This was the goto combo for years in tahoe and most of the Sierras.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.