Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Fork is not very supple off the top, tends to pack up even with compression being left wide open. Oddly the rebound doesn't bother me , though I tend to run it fully closed or 1-2 from closed. If I run it to far open it feels like crap and makes my arms/hands hurt after long descents .

Have tried running LSC in middle setting have heard some say that helps, did not help me. I've spent almost a year on the fork, run the gamut with settings nothing works to get me the ride I'm looking for.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
Wait what? How much do you weigh? Unless you're running about 120psi your rebound is way too slow and causing the packing problem

Start opening that up, then the first upgrade I suggest is the Luftkappe, then you may as well go for a fractive tune which is much cheaper than a new damper and will be properly tuned for you

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm currently a 280lb rider, trying to find the best upgrade. Currently have a 2018 Fox 36 Fit4 Evol 170mm fork. Trying to figure out which would give the best ride and adjustment.

I've read good reviews from both setups but nothing specific for my weight so I'm looking for more insight .

Thanks

Contact Michael at fullflow suspension Auburn,CA.

He is well versed in what info your seeking.
He will educate you and point you in the right direction..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree, I have never heard of someone running 1 click off from fully damped rebound...something odd is amiss...I def recommend figuring how to get the most out of current fork before moving into modification of the internals

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I weigh about 280lbs and yeah run about 120psi, good guess.

If I open it up it feels too chattery, it actually feels better to me slower.

Do you think I'm running to high psi and need to lower, then open up rebound? Suggestions? I'm willing to try something new just not sure where to begin.

Ok, that makes more sense now. Sorry if I missed your weight in the first post

Basically, the fork is way underdamped for you in compression and rebound so you will have to compromise ride quality somewhere by staying with the stock damper.

You could go with less pressure and faster rebound, then add in some volume reducers. That might improve sensitivity but it will be less stable and harsh on bigger bumps.

You are definitely a good candidate for the Fractive tune, although it doesn't include a rebound revalve as standard so I would request a firmer rebound setting at the same time.

I've fitted Fractive kits for several people 220-260lb, usually along with a luftkappe and had great feedback

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,636 Posts
Grip2 has noticeably less sticktion then the Fit4. It is the gold standard of dampers right now. I have cycle both of them out of the fork. Fractive tune will not be better than a stock grip2 as the lower seal on the fit4 contributors the majority of the drag.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Grip2 has noticeably less sticktion then the Fit4. It is the gold standard of dampers right now. I have cycle both of them out of the fork. Fractive tune will not be better than a stock grip2 as the lower seal on the fit4 contributors the majority of the drag.
I've had grip and grip2 and FIT4 with fractive tuning. The last option felt the best to me. Cycling dampers out of the fork is hardly the best test I wouldn't think.

·
3,636 Posts
I've had grip and grip2 and FIT4 with fractive tuning. The last option felt the best to me. Cycling dampers out of the fork is hardly the best test I wouldn't think.
Cycling the damper out of the fork will provide zero information on the actual damping. We agree on that.

It will tell you how much break away force is required to start movement though. That break away force is a major contributor to small bump compliance. It also changes the stick and release characteristic when braking or transitioning your weight.

The Grip2 lower seal has a loose fit and contributes almost no friction to the damper. It's pretty amazing how little force it takes to initiate travel.

With that said, Vorsprung is top notch! Everything they make is awesome and will improve your bike. I'm sure the the fractive tune is a big upgrade and will make a noticeable difference.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
The fractive kit will work great for you...that’s why it has several options for compression tunes. Have a look at their youtune calculator to see what I mean

Not sure what they are talking about the bladder system not working for big guys.....that’s rubbish it doesn’t make any difference.

A rebound revalve is simple, I would suggest your man emails vorsprung for some guidance or else he can always email me as well

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just spent a good 53 minutes on the phone with Craig at Avalanche, I have a good understanding of where I need to go and what needs to be done. Unfortunately I'm really just to big of a rider to benefit from just a Luftkappe and Fractive tuning, a full damper setup it going to benefit me much better. Thank you all for your input.
If your spring is sub optimal it doesn't matter what the damper is doing.

Sadly someone loves to bamboozle people and riders and sell them the latest old tech.

·
3,636 Posts
Your weight has no bearing of how the bladder of a damper works other than the extra heat created. Unless you are only using it for DH runs back to back heat will not be an issue. Open dampers are easier to service and cheaper to make, but weigh more and use sub-optimal fluids. Since it shares the open bath with the lower legs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.