Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone who rides/races DH use a grip shifter? I'm having a hell of a time finding an x7 or x9 8 speed trigger shifter. I may have to go with a grip shift, but I think I'd really hate to do it.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
That would be because they don't make an 8 speed x7 or x9 shifter.

Use 9 speed.

And yes I've used a grip shifter on my dh bike for 3 years.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I don't race DH, but do ride big hit bikes on technical trails and do light FR type stuff. I've always used Grip Shifters. I'm still an 8spd. user on all 4 of my bikes by choice. For a good while now I've been using SRAM derailleurs of the 9.0 and X7 type. Personally I don't think there's a clear advantage of triggers or twist, other than maybe weight. I believe it's what works ergonomically for the individual rider. Some trigger folks have gotten a little snooty about the "obvious" higher level of quality inherent in their trigger shifters...LOL! I think this perception is based on the fact that most of the cheapest bikes made have twist shifters. These models of twist shifters are usually sorry excuses of workmanship indeed. How many here have tried to change a cable on one of these level shifters? In reality as long as you use the higher end models of both trigger or twist shifters, I think you get quality shifting and good service.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
TNC said:
I don't race DH, but do ride big hit bikes on technical trails and do light FR type stuff. I've always used Grip Shifters. I'm still an 8spd. user on all 4 of my bikes by choice. For a good while now I've been using SRAM derailleurs of the 9.0 and X7 type. Personally I don't think there's a clear advantage of triggers or twist, other than maybe weight. I believe it's what works ergonomically for the individual rider. Some trigger folks have gotten a little snooty about the "obvious" higher level of quality inherent in their trigger shifters...LOL! I think this perception is based on the fact that most of the cheapest bikes made have twist shifters. These models of twist shifters are usually sorry excuses of workmanship indeed. How many here have tried to change a cable on one of these level shifters? In reality as long as you use the higher end models of both trigger or twist shifters, I think you get quality shifting and good service.
the giant dh team comes with sram gripshifters, so people must use em

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I have ridden trigger by shimano and sram grip shifts on many rigs. Both times I swapped from triggers to gripshift I thought I would have issues adjusting and miss-shifts. I have been surprised both times at how easy it was to adjust to grip shift. Never a missed shift or accidental. I now use grip shift even with shimano derailleurs (gotta get rockets to work with shimano). Now I am pretty much resolved to grip shifts.

I have recently contemplated going back to 8spd on my bullit to elleviate some of the shifting issues. SRAM does make the 9X in an 8spd model. It is about $40 for the RH shifter.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
dscot420 said:
I have recently contemplated going back to 8spd on my bullit to elleviate some of the shifting issues. SRAM does make the 9X in an 8spd model. It is about $40 for the RH shifter.
I just looked around. I could find an x7 but not an x9. Guess I was wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.