Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I've been using ODI Rogue Lock-on grips for a while now on my SC Heckler. As I've been riding more aggressively and dh-oriented lately i'm starting to think they're a little thick and I'm sacrificing some controil for comfort. i've read that narrower grips like the Ruffians are recommended for dh, so I tried some. Not for me, although the control is great, way too hard and uncomfortable for rides of any length. I also don't like the way the ends flare out. so, I'm asling here if anyone can recommend a grip thats thicker and more comfortable than the Ruffian, but thinner and more control than the Rogue. Of course I've seen manhy options online, but its hard tto tell the profile unless you put your hand around it, and the lbs only has the ones ive already tried.(and some others I dont like). 2 that stand out as possibilities are the Lizard Skins Peaty (are they as narrow as the Ruffian?) and the Lizard Slins Logo, look to be intermediate profile. any feedback on these, or advice on other grips, would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Charge Sponge grips sound like the one for you. most lock on grips are solid plastic between the collars, which is why the thin ones are rock hard. The charge ones have only half the plastic tube, one side being rubber all the way through.

The grip pattern is similar to the ruffian but the theory goes that on one side at least they are as soft as older non lock on grips. Not owning any I can't say if that's true or not but they're cheaper than ODI's and work much the same, so they may be worth a punt.

Also check out the new Pro (Shimano) Atherton grips and Bontrager Race Lite grips, which have no lock ring at one end. I have a bunch of the Pro grips coming so we'll se how they fare under people's hands, that outer lockring is a pet peeve of mine, always makes my palms go numb! The bonty ones also come with flanges, which might be handy if you're looking for more control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.