Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd like to hear the pros and cons of the two. yesterday as i took a long ride on my kikapu i kept bumping the trigger shifters on my bike and became pretty aggravated with them. when i bought the bike it had grip shifters but because of a bad left wrist i switched them to triggers. so how 'bout it guys and gals? what do you prefer and why? :confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Used Grip Shifts for 15 years, never an issue with them at all. I have a bad thumb that was broken and had ligaments torn in it, so I am unable to use it for shifting, so I rely on grip shifts and like the setup a lot.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
What about option C?

Dual control shifters:thumbsup:
They take some getting used to, especially if you came from triggers.
But if you were new to mtn biking, they make sense and feel natural. My wife's new Kona The King came with XT Dual Controls. She is new to cycling. She found the dual controls to be very intuitive. Much easier than the triggers on my Dawg Primo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
rsquared28 said:
What about option C?

Dual control shifters:thumbsup:
They take some getting used to, especially if you came from triggers.
But if you were new to mtn biking, they make sense and feel natural. My wife's new Kona The King came with XT Dual Controls. She is new to cycling. She found the dual controls to be very intuitive. Much easier than the triggers on my Dawg Primo.
Got any pics? I dont think ive ever seen those?

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Dualcontrol is great for XC...

For agressive trail riding, or harder, then you dont want them - when you get into more agressive riding, the movement on the brakelever-come-shifter can be unnerving at best.

That said, it will remain on my XC hardtail - for milder trails, roads, or a quick blast down the fireroad, I love it...
But for harder riding I just wouldnt recommend it.

I guess if you wanted to know what I mean, try to pull and control a wheelie/manual, with the brakelevers loosened on the bars so they can move a bit - and thats near to what it can feel like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i didn't get as many opinions as i would have liked to have recieved but it looks like triggers are the ones to go with. i've shifted mine away from my hand a little and i don't seem to be having the problem i was yesterday but the grip shifters are on the workbench standing by. thanks everybody. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
if your knocking into your triggers, try moving them away from your grips but still keeping them with in useable reach to shift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.