Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Looking for some wisdom:
When the trails are dry and dusty, like they are most of the summer around here (Utah), I get some pretty gnarly grinding noises from my bb after only a few short rides, or even one long ride day. This is with a new bb less than 50 miles ago.
There is clearly some grit getting caught between the drive side crank and the bb, as even just a quick dribble of water or a puddle splash clears some of the noise. Pulling the cranks and cleaning the interface usually fixes the problem, but having the bike sound like it's devouring itself halfway through a ride is no fun.
But this time, even after pulling the crank and cleaning, I've still got some grind--clearly some grit made its way past the dust seal and into the bearing.
Is this is bearing dust cap/seal problem?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I had that happen with an inexpensive Shimano BB92. I had to clean the outer seals next to the crank arms a couple of times. Eventually the noise dissipated. Maybe try cleaning a couple of times. A few small grains of sand could be the cause.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What you are describing is not normal...something is going on. Maybe installer of new BB did not take the time to properly clean the BB/frame interface prior to installing? Sounds like you need to get in there and clean everything out, re-grease and install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.