Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if Im in the right thread, but I am trying to find out if anyone else is having these issues? I brought my bike into the shop today, and they are looking it over for a second time. What is happening is when I climb hills in the trails, it sounds like the chain is grinding on the rear cassette. We have all checked the tire alignment. They made adjustments to the derailleurs. And still it happens. Seems to happen when its on the middle sproket in the front, and the top 3 or 4 sprokets in the rear. It never happens on the road. Only when under a hard load climbing the trails. Its annoying, and I am concerned about it wearing out much quicker. Just wanted to post on here and see if anyone else had any issues like this.

Chain: KMC X10
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG62-10, 11-36 Tooth
Derailleur:
Shimano Deore RD-M593 SGS, Shadow Type, 30-Speed
Crank:
Shimano FC-M522 Octalink

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Brand new? I've found that with a brand new chain and cassette there is a period of "bedding in" where you'll get that grinding sound. Sort of a slight crunching sound. Not sure if that is what you are dealing with though.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Have you or the shop pulled the rear wheel off the bike and check the bearings in the hub, more specifically the ones in the cassette body?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't pull anything off, other than the tire to make sure it was aligned right. The shop did that twice, as well. It is a new bike, 2 weeks old, under 30 miles on it. The shop was saying it all had to do with the derailleur. Playing with the concepts of physics in my head, I dont know how it could be the derailleur. It isn't clicking like it wants to shift, it's grinding under hard pressure to the pedals. I know one of the techs said that this was normal. I didn't accept that answer, so I brought it to the other shop they own, and they are looking it over. It wasn't really a light crunching sound, not by my definition anyways. I've ridden other bikes, even new, and never had this sound before.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
Take your bike in and swap in another 970 rear wheel/tire from a shop bike. Do a test ride to begin eliminating that part.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Is the crank flexing under load thus causing the chain to rub the front der?

I have a 970 btw with 2,457 miles on it :D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts