Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The noise happens when I’m climbing in my low gears mostly. That’s when it’s noisiest. If I’m cruising on a flat street it’s silent. Had zero noise before I got the new rear mech and chain either. It’s pretty strange. Any guesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Lots of possibilities...things to check:
- If you installed there's SRAM video's on proper setup (hi/low stops, B gap, etc).
- Derailleur hanger alignment.
- New chain installed on bike with worn cassette and/or chainring
- Chain length

·
Registered
218 Posts
Fitzhenry, I recently installed a new SRAM XO1 drivetrain on a enduro bike I built up. I had exactly the same kind of noise you described. No noise on flat and shifting was excellent, but, under heavy power I could hear it. It was especially noticeable in the 42 tooth cog. I went back and checked the B gap and it was off a bit. I made the adjustment (using the red chain gap tool) and the noise/grinding disappeared. Make sure to adjust the B screw while the rear suspension is in the sag position. Also, if you haven't, it is well worth while to make sure your derailleur hanger is straight and true, like Sturge mentioned.

Here is a link to the Eagle set up video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCt9BJRNew

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Yeah. If the RD all checks out, there's a chance it's a worn chainring. I've had noise and grinding I could feel in the pedals after putting a new chain on a worn 1x narrow wide ring.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It’s worth reviewing that eagle install video. Eagle is amazing when it’s properly setup but isn’t tolerant of the slightest misalignment. I always straighten my derailleur hangers as much as possible, not just within spec, but as close to perfect as I can get it. Just like the H/L limit screws, when aligning them I’ve found its best to not lock out the derailleur so you can get the upper pulley as close as possible, and touching even, the cassette. That way you don’t introduce error from looking at it from a slight angle (parallax).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Late to the thread but I am having this same issue lately. It has been fine for about a year but in the past week I get this clicking sound, just like you said its mostly in the 42t ring, sometimes the next one down. It only happens when I putting down power, generally going uphill. I can't replicate it really while on flat ground or in my street (maybe cant put enough power down in that gear on flat ground?)

Anyone have any luck with figuring this one out? I stopped by a shop and they did not really have any guesses. It shifts great in the stand, hanger is aligned well, and cable/housing is in good shape. They suggested I could change the housing and shift cable to see if that helps, but I don't really know where to start.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bumping this thread because I am experiencing this issue recently. Never had problems with GX drivetrain. Updated to X01 over the winter and started having an odd noise when climbing after about 500 miles on drivetrain this year. Religiously clean drivetrain too and even changed X01 chain not long ago with no change. Has to either be cassette, derailleur, or chainring (Wolftooth stainless). I use DumondTech Lite lube on chain. Sounds like noise it coming from the back towards the cassette or derailleur.

Late to the thread but I am having this same issue lately. It has been fine for about a year but in the past week I get this clicking sound, just like you said its mostly in the 42t ring, sometimes the next one down. It only happens when I putting down power, generally going uphill. I can't replicate it really while on flat ground or in my street (maybe cant put enough power down in that gear on flat ground?)

Anyone have any luck with figuring this one out? I stopped by a shop and they did not really have any guesses. It shifts great in the stand, hanger is aligned well, and cable/housing is in good shape. They suggested I could change the housing and shift cable to see if that helps, but I don't really know where to start.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bumping this thread because I am experiencing this issue recently. Never had problems with GX drivetrain. Updated to X01 over the winter and started having an odd noise when climbing after about 500 miles on drivetrain this year. Religiously clean drivetrain too and even changed X01 chain not long ago with no change. Has to either be cassette, derailleur, or chainring (Wolftooth stainless). I use DumondTech Lite lube on chain. Sounds like noise it coming from the back towards the cassette or derailleur.
I figured it out awhile back! Has been totally silent since then.

For me, if you look at the back of the xo1 cassette, you can see 4 (? maybe 5) little black pins that hold some of the rings together. I put a drop of lube on each one of these, since then has not made a sound. Think they were just dried out and that tiny bit of metal on metal contact was creaking when I would hammer uphill. Hopefully this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts