Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty loyal Specialized rider, I have an '05 Stumpy FSR Pro that is my main ride (and an '02 Allez Pro for road, too).

So I will move on from Specialized's discontinuation of the amazing Roll-X tire. (Especially the Pro version, with it's tacky but well-wearing rubber, outstanding performance in just about anything but deep mud, and its high volume.) In fact, I managed to snatch up two of those beauties by traveling to two different bike shops in different cities, when I learned they were being discontinued. They'll last me, oh, a little while, while I learn to let go and move on.

And who needs that former Adrenaline/Resolution Pro tire? Corner grip isn't that important. The cheap entry-level Resolution they're still making (without the dual density rubber) might get me by, and those new Captain tires might be ok, too (even though they look like a substantial reduction in volume from the Roll-X / Adrenaline/Resolution line). And if I get desperate I suppose I could always move on to try Kendas or some other greener pastures...

NO WAIT I CAN'T, please PLEASE SPECIALIZED LISTEN TO ME! BRING BACK THE ROLL-X! BRING BACK THE ADRENA-LUTION IN THEIR DUAL-COMPOUND, HIGH-VOLUME GLORY!!! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THE BEST TIRES! PLEASE!!!!!

Whoops, whoa, ahem, excuse me. I mean, "innovate or die." Thanks.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Barkdog said:
And if I get desperate I suppose I could always move on to try Kendas or some other greener pastures...
Kenda makes Specialized tires. And I believe the casing is the same. You now have more choice, time to be happy. :) Pick the tread pattern that fits you best.

If you are in the dry, try some Small Block 8's, they grip way beyond how they look. Up to 2.35 in size.

P

·
Banned
473 Posts
I've ridden a lot of Specialized tires. First were the Team Control and Team Captain, then the Roll-X Pro, then the Resolution Pro and now The Captain Control 2Bliss. My pick outta all of these? The Captain wins hands down. The volume on them is actually the same as the Roll-X which are both less volume than the Resolution. Braking and acceleration is better as is the cornering. Try them. You won't be disappointed.

Mark
The Cycle Path

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, WTF, Specialized?

You don't have to make new tires every year.

I LOVE the Adrenaline 2.2's. The ones that measured 2.4-2.5 and have a HUGE casing and deep side knobs and good transition knobs. This tire is larger than any other 2.3-2.5 tire by any manufacturer. AND it's relatively light-weight at 700-730 grams.

When I first mounted one and saw the casing size and tread, I knew it was a keeper. I went out and bought four more of them because I knew they were too good to last (Meaning that I knew spesh would change tires in a year just because). Best front tire EVER. I wanted to try it on the rear just for fun, but it would not clear the rear triangle of my 04 enduro. In the front, it has traction for days in anything but wet conditions. Fine with me in CA! The tire has so much traction and sand float, I am able to come to a stop with authority, if need be, even in Northstar downhill, silty sand. Running at 25PSI with stans no-tubes, it's just awesome in sand and on rocks. I found it equally as good on hardpack. Why did it have such a short production life?

I am on my last one now and not sure what I'll use next. Nothing else compares to it's large size, light weight and deep tread.

I am finding the eskar control to be a great rear tire. I better go stock up on them because specialized has this "something different or new must be better" mentality when it comes to tires.

BTW, I just removed the resolution 2.3's from my new 07 Enduro SL that I just picked up - no miles on them and up for sale. Slapped on my last addrenaline 2.2 on the front and an Eskar control 2.3 on the rear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've ridden a lot of Specialized tires. First were the Team Control and Team Captain, then the Roll-X Pro, then the Resolution Pro and now The Captain Control 2Bliss. My pick outta all of these? The Captain wins hands down. The volume on them is actually the same as the Roll-X which are both less volume than the Resolution. Braking and acceleration is better as is the cornering. Try them. You won't be disappointed.

Ditto, I had a 03 Enduro, with Resolution/Enduro, and it rocked. My new ride 08 SJ Expert came with the Captain S-works, and they look like they would suck, but I think they may be the best (non-winter) tire I have ever used.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys!

kidwoo said:
It is if you ride your bike through corners.
I appreciate the comments, and especially the encouragement re: the Captain. I'll have to try 'em. (Still can't believe they're the same volume as the Roll X, they look so much smaller -- esp. in the width.

[Kidwoo: I agree, cornering grip is paramount for me. The sarcasm was part of my venting/ranting about the loss of the tires.]

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
I got the FastTrak LK Sport on right now but I'm thinking of dropping the Captain on the back as the trail conditions have worsened here over the summer a bit. I'm taking The Captain is the way to go?! Or should I try the Resolution?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tires Discontinued

I also had a favorite tires that I liked to ride on from the past years, Those were the Dirt Control and Dirt Master tires that Specialized made back in 1990 or 1991.. It is a thing that we can not control so we just have to find another NEW favorite tire and enjoy that one until that one is also discontinued. It is out of our control.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Chunder 2.2 2bliss in the front with a tube.
Captain 2.2 (or is it 2.1?) in the back.

The Chunder OWNS on descents, the 2.2 2bliss doesn't weigh too much and they roll pretty well. The Captain climbs well and rolls really fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.