Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is what’s left of the outer bearing on a dt240 freehub. just the inner and outer races remain. dust cover and ball bearings are nowhere to be found. my question; did singlespeeding cause this? was it overtightening the rear axle? I guess this is why I’ve been struggling to maintain chain tension. I may try to press new bearings into this freehub and save it but I’ve already ordered a replacement with a new end cap. Just wondering if anyone has seen failures like this, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Do you know what kind of mileage the freehub had on it?

I have trouble wearing out these bearings at all, nevermind like you have here! I HAVE worn out the endcaps before (specifically the o-ring that holds everything together). Once that o-ring starts to go I could see contamination pick up and spiral from there maybe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have put about 700 miles on it, but the mileage before that is unknown. But it’s a 2015 frame with custom asymmetric, wide carbon rims. So I don’t think it’s ancient

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,004 Posts
The bearings in DT hubs may be negatively impacted/stressed if you over tighten the skewer/axle/bolts in the dropout.

I generally tighten just enough to keep it from rattling loose.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,651 Posts
What frame is this used in? If the rear wheel is slipping you may be over tightening the hub to try to correct it. Is there a tension adjustment screw on the dropout, or is it sliders? Got a pic?

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I hear the DT Swiss "ratchet" system does not play well, under massive torque situations.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,334 Posts
I hear the DT Swiss "ratchet" system does not play well, under massive torque situations.
I’d say it’s the best out there under massive torque situations.

Bar Chris King, I can’t think of anything on the same plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,004 Posts
i’d say it’s the best out there under massive torque situations.

Bar chris king, i can’t think of anything on the same plane.
^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts