Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of anodized purple . . . and other great fallen colors . . .

. . . colors relegated now only to pictures from old'en day's when cnc mtb bicycle part pagentry was equally ranking in importance as a working set of shifters/derailers for nearly all that rode knobbies with pride . . .

(heck, even knobbies are on the way out!)

Anyone got some old pics to share of the H-Ball & his bikes adored in full ano-warrior flair? His old photo's seem remarkably absent from the web?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
mtnwing said:
In honor of anodized purple . . . and other great fallen colors . . .

. . . colors relegated now only to pictures from old'en day's when cnc mtb bicycle part pagentry was equally ranking in importance as a working set of shifters/derailers for nearly all that rode knobbies with pride . . .

(heck, even knobbies are on the way out!)

Anyone got some old pics to share of the H-Ball & his bikes adored in full ano-warrior flair? His old photo's seem remarkably absent from the web?
I've got Tread and Re-Tread (and a few other misc. videos with Herbold in em').

Not a lot of Herbold stuff out there, and even less actual riding pictures for way back...

The only pics on the net I could find are these:

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
I know the bike in the first picture was made by Foes. But was it a Miyata? Was it actually sold anywhere?

·
singletrack junkie
117 Posts
H-Ball in his glory days

Can you believe a flat-bar w/ bar-ends, maybe 3" of travel (F&R) and a disc (Tioga?) wheel on a DH bike?
And to top it all off, dressed in a skin-suit!

Herbold waiting to be shuttled up for a DH run - Spokane nat's '94

Attachments

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
DoubleDiamond said:
Can you believe a flat-bar w/ bar-ends, maybe 3" of travel (F&R) and a disc (Tioga?) wheel on a DH bike?

lol

is that a custom anodized Ringle seatpin on his bike. Those 8 ball stickers on the chainguide are very rad.

·
artistic...
7,620 Posts
bar ends on a downhill bike

DoubleDiamond said:

grrreeaaat.. though by modern standards it looks like x country bkes.. or trail bike, or cross mountain.. or free ride.. i can' t learn the differences.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
actually in the world cups when the tiny time fractions matter even some of todays pros still wear skin suites :)

herbolds 1990 worlds winning DH bike was hanging up in Durango main high st bike shop when I went there a few years back :D

definately 1 of the more flamboyant riders of the time & 1 of the earliest s.spd riders I believe ;D

ta

scant

·
Registered
676 Posts
Some more H-Ball related stuff

The Skinsuit:

For more also visit http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=43628 and http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=50338&highlight=elevation

Okay, it seems I alone already more than doubled H-Ball content on the web :D
Let's put it this way: The quantity on the web still doesn't reflect H-Balls contribution to MTBtech, MTBhistory very well. ;)

I thought H-Ball did important R&D work for Shimano. He did do the testing for the SPD, right? I once heard that later he had a fight with Shimano, he said they were cheaters. Did he take revanche by developing the Onza HO pedals? What did he do for Onza BTW? Porcupines? And what is his contibution to the Rock Shox fork? Could somebody tell ?

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
H-ball rules! would love to meet him.

I ahve the Phat Tyre(?) Journal videos 1-3 and he is in all those. HB TV also, as mentioned Tread and RE Tread. also, 'Inside Line' video. and some more I have....

also, just got these off ebay.............

I also have some mtb mags with interviews.

maybe time for www.hballfans.com ??

Andrew
www.yetifan.com

P.S. 2X of his bikes were in the shop on Durango high street when I went.

·
FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
363 Posts
Look closely on the pic of him and his wife, it seems his blue seatpost have the crackled finish that was never relased for the public. But someone here mentioned that Ringle sold these finished directly from their shop ?

If anyone has pics of those finishes on Ringle components please post them. Lavender/blue crackled finish looks great!

·
Registered
676 Posts
grawbass said:
Speaking of Porcupines........what tires is he using in those various pics? Some look like Porcupine rear and Smoke or Dart front.
After taking a closer look at H-Balls bikes in this thread and the other 2 threads I am sure on one thing: H-Ball used a large variety of tires. I also notice that in this thread many of H-Balls bikes indeed feature a Porcupine in the rear.

More H-Ball:

H-Ball and left shoulder of Beneke in his Barracuda days

H-Ball and Gerrit Gaastra (nowadays involved in idworx, but as son of Koga Miyata founder he did some work for Koga back then) in 'skilift' during the '92 Worlds in Canada.

A H-Ball site featuring H-Ball and a lot H-Ball gear would be cool, very :cool: Unfortunately I am not really able to build such a thing, but maybe I will get the skills and time and come up with a kind of Miyata/H-Ball website once. Yeah, I know, it is a bit a vague promise. :D

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Is Greg 'online' much?

Aside from this thread...there doesn't seem to be much on the guy or pictures of him/his bikes, ect...

Lots of different tire use (and bike use for that matter!)

Mel, all you're scans have been awesome! I need to put some of mine up too...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Is Greg 'online' much?

Aside from this thread...there doesn't seem to be much on the guy or pictures of him/his bikes, ect...
He's heavily involved in the development of SRAM / RockShox. That and RC cars. He's also been involved with Scott USA for a number of years as well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
again more H-Ball content

Yesterday evening I made a very big dive in my big pile of old MTB magazine's, so now I can come up with some pictures other than H-Ball riding his Miyata.

Greg with RC car:

Greg on Yamaha:

Greg riding Go-Kart:

Greg sitting in his dune buggy:

Greg on the roof of his dune buggy:

I can remember I read a interview with Greg in the early nineties in which he said he also owned a white Nissan 300ZX. TwinTurbo?

Greg on the roof of his house:

Greg riding a Triumph:

The woman riding the other bike is Greg's wife Deborah Shumway.

Greg and Mr.Miyata:

..and finally for now...

Greg smiling:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.