Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm sitting here in Oakridge OR, under the awning of "Thidwick The Westy", in a lounge chair, with my feet propped up on a cooler looking out at the Willamette, using a laptop and the free WiFi @ Casey's Riverside RV Park in Westfir. Gawd, it's such a struggle:rolleyes:
Yesterday I rode Larrison Cr. Trail, today I rode Deception Cr. and Larison Rock with my neighbors Phil and June, and tomorrow I'll do the Middlefork of the Willamette as an out and back [@ 58miles? - whatever, it's all good]. And I'll try and squeeze a couple more rides in before, reluctantly, heading back south Thursday morning. All I gotta say @ the Oakridge area is, there is nothing better......anywhere.
I came up to do the Cascade Creampuff, ride a bit more, see a few sights, and pay my respects to my father. It's been absolutely astounding - Oregon in the summer is incredible! I hung @ Bend after the Puff for a day, drinking the tastiest beer and rode the Deschutes river trail with the Dirt Muffin. Stopped and looked at the John Day Fossil Beds heading for Joseph Oregon - near Hell's Cyn on the Idaho/Washington border area. Kayaked in Deschutes, Willamette [@ Portland] and on Lake Wallawa. It's called the Switzerland of Oregon for good reason - lakes off the road were still iced over! Hiked in Forest Park near Portland. And played "Dancing with the Westy" @ the Columbia River Gorge - christ, that place is windy! Best couple weeks EVAR!!!!
And oh yeah, the Creampuff...... What a BEAST this year! 106 mile/14000 + footie course, with two passes of Windberry Divide and Tire Mountain, followed by two laps of 1910 up to Windy Pass and down Alpine. 90+ degree heat with HUMIDITY galore; thunder, lightening, and rain the night before from @ 10pm until @ 2am made for a muddy/sketchy first pass @ Tire Mountain and Windberry Divide [this pair makes Alpine seem like a sidewalk in the Burbs] ; 20+ riders were time cut at Aid 2 @ 7:15pm [the race started at 5:30am].
I started slow [as usual], figuring between the route, weather and trail conditions, this was more a fight to finish, than, to the finish with my competition. At the start, I crested 1910 and Windy Pass in my accustomed back third of the field. I dropped onto Alpine and ;veered up to Tire Mtn, slowly gaining ground. Descending Windberry I crashed after deflecting off a wet root at speed [an awful place to make an error - the drop-offs are UGLY on that trail]. Stopped at Aid 3 because of a loose headset, and futzed about for 10 minutes trying to find the right size allen key and getting things adjusted.
Up the pavement, and fireroads that compose the 18 mile climb back to Aid 2 for the second run through the Winberry/Tire Mtn sausage factory, I started making time. I rolled into Aid 4, grabbed a couple fresh bottles and headed for Aid 2 and my chocolate milk connection 6 miles ahead.
Out of Aid 2 and back around the humid green, writhing, energy sucking expanse of Winberry and Tire Mtn. I rode conservatively, passing and giving ground to a few people along the way. I knew really attacking would net very little gain, for the huge energy expenditure required go fast through this part of the course. So I bided my time until Aid 3.
With a great sense of relief, I finished my second pass of [break]Windberry, and headed the pavement and fireroads up toward Aid 4 and then Aid 2, feeling now it was time to see if I could make a race of it.
Alpine Trail is a blast when you're fresh. Alpine Trail is kinda grim after 9 hrs, @ 70 miles of riding, 10,000 ft of climbing, and 90 degree heat. Then do the North Fork Trail, then climb 1910 again in the middle and big ring, and hit Alpine again. And then Alpine Trail becomes a sweetly, miserable, beautiful 12 mile singletrack mix of pain, relief, euphoria and terror.
I rode my way from 10th to 3rd [out of 24 masters/fossils] by the top of my last pass of 1910. Unaware that I'd done so, I let another "T" through, midway down my final drop of Alpine, when I stopped for a moment to pee/sightsee. Sooooo, in @ 13hrs and change, I finished fourth, five minutes back of 3rd, thus, no clock for me this year. Guess, I'm gonna have to come back and do it again next year........I can't wait!!!!
And finally back to my little travelogue - if you've got your plans made to do MTB Oregon this year, count yourself blessed - it's that incredible up here this summer. And if you don't....change your plans! You won't regret it. I'm looking to head right back up here after the 12 Hrs. of Humboldt. This place is MAGIC!
P.S. I apologize for the lack of photo's, I'll post them when I get back - no USB from the camera to the computer along with me:madman: .

·
Registered
567 Posts
We just got back from a couple of weeks in Oregon and a week in Idaho of camping and some family biking. Lots of great trails and great weather all over and clean air. Ashland, Oakridge, MRT, Bend and a small system of trails in La Grande, Good coffee and beer everywhere.

jms did you go to Terminal Gravity Brewery in Enterprise- great beer and food and good prices. Good job on the Cream Puff- I only had time to ride part of the Alpine trail there.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hey John, congratulations on your Creampuff result. Not so good for me. My bike and I had a bad day. I crashed 3 times on the Windberry Divide or Tire Mountain Trail, got badly dehydrated on the second lap and had to sit at Aid 4 for half an hour, and my suspension fork broke early on. I reached Aid 1 with not enough time to do the final lap, so I dropped out. My first DNF in 11 hundies.

At the time I told myself that I'm to old for this ****. But now I'm determined to go back. I am not going to end my Creampuff career with a DNF.

Oh, I looked for your VW at the school, but didn't see it.

Enjoy Oregon and I'll see ya at the races.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Hells Canyon! I spend a couple summers during college exploring. Dad worked for Idaho Power Co. at Oxbow and Hells Canyon hydroelectric dams. Lake Wallawa and around Baker, OR.

All is will here, and most itches are scratched. ;)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there was ever a course to DNF on

Zignzag said:
Not so good for me. My first DNF in 11 hundies.
I'll see ya at the races.
Sorry things didn't go well for you, if there was ever a race to DNF @, this would be the one. You'll kill it next year:thumbsup: . There were a couple places on Winberry I figured it would take days to find my rotting carcass, if I missed the turn.
Hope to see you @ Humboldt in August.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to see

slocaus said:
All is will here, and most itches are scratched. ;)
Good to see the kids are well. Other than wearing a chamois and jersery, that could have been a picture of me @ the end of the CCP this year.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
jms said:
Good to see the kids are well. Other than wearing a chamois and jersery, that could have been a picture of me @ the end of the CCP this year.
Upside down, writhing side to side, both back legs in synch, trying to scratch your belly, while front legs alternately reach for the sky??

I'd laugh harder at you than I do at her. :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the report John. Sounds like you had a great time. I will be there in August. I love this area .
And maybe next year i will see about doing the Puff with you or I should say behind you.
Mark

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Good job finishing JMS. Alot of Puff veterans said this was the hardest year ever.:thumbsup:

Here's a link to some photos from the Puff until JMS can post his. What was your number JMS? I might have some photos of you.

Photos from the race course (Alpine and Tire Mtn)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=430055

Photos from finish line area, and preliminary race results (beware some errors have already been found)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=430472

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna need time lapse

Sasquatch said:
Good job finishing JMS. Alot of Puff veterans said this was the hardest year ever.:thumbsup:

Here's a link to some photos from the Puff until JMS can post his. What was your number JMS? I might have some photos of you.
Peeectures? I love peectures!!! I was T3. As slow as I was going, I hope you had a time lapse lense, if you were taking shots of me.
And yeah, Scotty got to fully express that "Torture Gene" thing he has with this year's CCP course. I can't wait to see what springs forth from that dark little place, he accesses for these things. Funny, he seems so nice:D .
I can't wait for next year - it's really to only reason I'm racing at all.:thumbsup:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Zignzag said:
Hey John, congratulations on your Creampuff result. Not so good for me. My bike and I had a bad day. I crashed 3 times on the Windberry Divide or Tire Mountain Trail, got badly dehydrated on the second lap and had to sit at Aid 4 for half an hour, and my suspension fork broke early on. I reached Aid 1 with not enough time to do the final lap, so I dropped out. My first DNF in 11 hundies.

At the time I told myself that I'm to old for this ****. But now I'm determined to go back. I am not going to end my Creampuff career with a DNF.

Oh, I looked for your VW at the school, but didn't see it.

Enjoy Oregon and I'll see ya at the races.
Sooo many things consipired against you yet you still kept your eye on the prize. Good work man and get them next year!

fc

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some photo's from Oregon

As promised here's a smattering of the photo's we took from our three week trip @ Oregon -it's outdoor heaven @ there in the summer. I'm headed back for three more weeks in mid August - I'm just counting the days!!!! Hope everybody else gets a chance to go too!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A Few More

rensho said:
Wow, what a trip, and a fine vacation mobile.
Glad you enjoyed the photos, here's a few more. We put @ 3 thousand miles in criss-crossing the 2 lane highways/dirt roads through central and eastern Oregon. Incredibly friendly people, great roads, great beer and the best trails anywhere. I still feel I've only scratched the surface of what's out there.

Attachments

·
rider
2,356 Posts
jms,

How technical is the riding? I love Downieville and Tahoe partly because they challenge me in the tech department. Love long climbs in the woods followed by tons of fast descents with lots of flow, but without the difficult sections, I get bored.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.