Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out our award announcement below!

Team BI-LO announced their win of the South Carolina Governor's Council on Physical Fitness Award for 2008. Team BI-LO, the Upstate's largest women's cycling team, won the Community Award, which recognizes an organization or group that encourages and promotes physical activity in the community.

Teammates Cissy Fowler and Jennifer Young were ushered onto the field between the 1st and 2nd quarters of the University of South Carolina football game last Saturday night to accept the award from DHEC Commissioner Earl Hunter, Executive Director Jay Daniels from the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness, and Susan Duncan with the Governor's Office .

Criteria for winning the award included providing community-based educational programs and other events for the public and serving as a models, leaders, and advocates for promoting physical activity and healthy lifestyles. Dr. Fowler, a professor of anthropology at Wofford University, says "Team BI-LO was the perfect candidate for this award because of the women's cycling education seminars we taught over the winter, our support of the Greenville Spinners Time Trial Series races, and the Women on Wheels (WOW) no-drop beginner rides we led every Thursday from Furman University this year."

Although the 16 women on the 2008 Team BI-LO squad spent over 1500 hours this year on these and other volunteer endeavors like children's bike safety and charity rides, they didn't forget about racing. In 2008, Team BI-LO won South Carolina State Championship races in Road, Criterium, and Mountain Biking and won regional series titles for both on-road and X-Terra triathlons.

While supported by many national sponsors like Michelin and PowerBar, Team BI-LO owes much of its success to the following local partners: BI-LO, Southeastern Paper Group, Ryobi, Horton Law Firm, The Cunningham Team Re/Max Realty, Headquarters Day Spa, The Great Escape, Sunshine Cycle Shop, Gusto Cycles, Fleet Feet, Steve Fincher Photography, Aerie Engineering, Brown Chiropractic Center, North Main Yoga, and Hawthorne Massage.

If any of you are business owners, or work for a company that you think would benefit from advertising on our kits next year, drop me a line! I'll e-mail you a copy of our lovely, picture-filled proposal.

Attachments

G

·
where is that trail, with that awesome creek crossing, not like i'll be able to ride until next summer but hey i still would like to know.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Southside ! I'm not sure which trail...maybe High and Dry?...it was somewhere on this year's Stump Jump race course.

Ranger: thanks, those kids are hilarious. I asked one little dude (4-5 class) if he was going to win and the kid next to him interrupts and says , very seriously, "no, I'm going to win."

·
Registered
204 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Southside ! I'm not sure which trail...maybe High and Dry?...it was somewhere on this year's Stump Jump race course.

Ranger: thanks, those kids are hilarious. I asked one little dude (4-5 class) if he was going to win and the kid next to him interrupts and says , very seriously, "no, I'm going to win."
I think the best part of the youngest group was the parents chasing them around the corner!!! That was wicked funny!

Any of the Bi-Lo ladies race in the crit?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why yes, thanks for asking ;-)

On Sat we took 2nd,4th, 5th, 7th and 15th and on Sunday we were 7th and 8th in the Cat 4 and 2nd and 3rd in the Open. Yep...Bi-Lo would have won both days if not for mountain-bike phenom Tanya N. who rode away from the field both days. I don't road race, largely 'cause I don't want to get taken out by the pack, but if I had Tanya's legs to go off the front and make it a mountain bike race, I'd think about it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
litespeedchick said:
why yes, thanks for asking ;-)

On Sat we took 2nd,4th, 5th, 7th and 15th and on Sunday we were 7th and 8th in the Cat 4 and 2nd and 3rd in the Open. Yep...Bi-Lo would have won both days if not for mountain-bike phenom Tanya N. who rode away from the field both days. I don't road race, largely 'cause I don't want to get taken out by the pack, but if I had Tanya's legs to go off the front and make it a mountain bike race, I'd think about it.
EXCELLENT! That's awesome! Proud to have you ladies representing the upstate! Congrats to all of you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts