Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done with my morning ride at Bent Creek and someone or a group of people pulled up all the rock work at the top of Greenslick. I am not sure who is responsible but PAS just did some amazing work to that trail.

If you cannot ride the first part of Greenslick then you should not be riding it. When people do unapproved trail work it helps no one. It makes mountain bikers look bad.

If you do not like the way a trail is come to Dirty Thursday or contact PAS. If you do not work on the trail you have no right to destroy other peoples work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
bobjones82 said:
I just got done with my morning ride at Bent Creek and someone or a group of people pulled up all the rock work at the top of Greenslick. I am not sure who is responsible but PAS just did some amazing work to that trail.

If you cannot ride the first part of Greenslick then you should not be riding it. When people do unapproved trail work it helps no one. It makes mountain bikers look bad.

If you do not like the way a trail is come to Dirty Thursday or contact PAS. If you do not work on the trail you have no right to destroy other peoples work.
I was on Greens Lick yesterday (Wednesday, 18 June '08) around 4 pm and the rock garden was intact. PAS installed the rock garden there to act as a 'filter' for Greens Lick--as you noted, if a rider couldn't ride the rock garden at the top of the trail s/he probably doesn't belong on the rest of the trail. If/when the filter is replaced, one could argue that a better place for a filter is where North Boundary (Tony Michaels Parkway) leaves "5 Points". With the filter at the top of Greens Lick, the rider who has just pedaled the 1.25 miles from 5 Points probably won't turn around, whereas if the filter was at 5 Points a marginal rider might decide to drop Little Hickory Top instead.

Thanks for the post--it should whiz off enough of the PAS volunteers who did the original work (I was on of the 130 out there Saturday, 7 June '08) that the rock garden will be quickly replaced USING BIGGER ROCK!

Later,
TrailZen

·
Registered
373 Posts
the TOOLS!!! Time for a stake out! :madmax:

I helped build the second/thirdish rock garden at the top and by the Thursday after we did the work, some &*(#@% had already pulled several of the rocks. I wasn't too happy. Now you say they're all gone? One unexpected personal outcome of having done several Dirty Thursdays and two National Trail Days now is a sense of partial ownership of the trails I've worked on. So I really don't like seeing this happen.

Okay...rant over. Seriously now, how does one keep trail sabatoge from happening? I suppose HUGE rock is the only answer?

·
Registered
189 Posts
well, i think the garden you guys are talking about was already starting to erode the trail around it due to the rain we just got. also the first berm that was changed wont dry out, its collecting water. some of the water bars are still puddled too. probably just need to be raked out. um, instead of a rock garden that bends chainrings why not a sign? i mean a rock garden to deter some one? thats stupid, really. why not just have a gate, and those people you guys deem worthy, give the key to the lock? ......typical asheville.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
f00lzBurden said:
well, i think the garden you guys are talking about was already starting to erode the trail around it due to the rain we just got. also the first berm that was changed wont dry out, its collecting water. some of the water bars are still puddled too. probably just need to be raked out. um, instead of a rock garden that bends chainrings why not a sign? i mean a rock garden to deter some one? thats stupid, really. why not just have a gate, and those people you guys deem worthy, give the key to the lock? ......typical asheville.
Are you for real? What you can't ride your big rig over a simple rock garden? Get a skill or two! Yesterday, I rode up Greenslick, and for the first time, found it entertaining. I had no troubles clearing any of the so called chainring bending rock gardens that you mention. And yes, the rocks were there. What a bunch of whiny arse pansies! Squirrel catchers are a common method of weeding out those that don't belong, like you. Trails often have rocks, believe it or not. Learn to ride your bike, and they become fun and exciting! Doesn't that sound great? A sign? What would it say? Wankers need not apply? Nobody thinks they are a wanker. You probably don't, but me thinks you are. Dayem! Are you ever!

·
Registered
204 Posts
mbmb65 said:
Are you for real? What you can't ride your big rig over a simple rock garden? Get a skill or two! Yesterday, I rode up Greenslick, and for the first time, found it entertaining. I had no troubles clearing any of the so called chainring bending rock gardens that you mention. And yes, the rocks were there. What a bunch of whiny arse pansies! Squirrel catchers are a common method of weeding out those that don't belong, like you. Trails often have rocks, believe it or not. Learn to ride your bike, and they become fun and exciting! Doesn't that sound great? A sign? What would it say? Wankers need not apply? Nobody thinks they are a wanker. You probably don't, but me thinks you are. Dayem! Are you ever!
This should be an interesting discussion. I was up there on national trails day and I did put in a day's work - nobody asked me what I thought about that 'filter' at the top. Seems like a waste of resources to put that in when there was plenty of areas that really needed work for sustainability. If the goal is to let people know that work has been done - rock armoring as done on other places on the trail would have been sustainable and wouldn't have been removed. By intentionally putting in an equipment damaging obstacle, you're practically begging for someone to remove it.

my disclaimer - although I don't agree with the method used in that area, I disagree more with someone undoing work that another group has done. I would gladly walk my bike over those rocks than pull them up (which is what I did when I rode it last weekend). And go ahead and say I don't belong on that trail - I may not be a big air dude, and I certainly don't ride a 6 or 8 inch travel bike, but I know my way down a trail.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i ride up greenslick to get the longer downhill of north boundry, ingel feilds....
so, you guys seriously want to bust up a new guys bike, just to tell him a trail is out of his league? thats convaluted logic to me, man. i can ride over those rocks. thats not the point. the point is that there are other things on that trail that needed just basic stuff. basic stuff that didnt get done. read my posts, its obvious that ive been up and down it at least a couple of times. yall, man, yall are crazy!!

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Ranger275 said:
This should be an interesting discussion. I was up there on national trails day and I did put in a day's work - nobody asked me what I thought about that 'filter' at the top. Seems like a waste of resources to put that in when there was plenty of areas that really needed work for sustainability. If the goal is to let people know that work has been done - rock armoring as done on other places on the trail would have been sustainable and wouldn't have been removed. By intentionally putting in an equipment damaging obstacle, you're practically begging for someone to remove it.

my disclaimer - although I don't agree with the method used in that area, I disagree more with someone undoing work that another group has done. I would gladly walk my bike over those rocks than pull them up (which is what I did when I rode it last weekend). And go ahead and say I don't belong on that trail - I may not be a big air dude, and I certainly don't ride a 6 or 8 inch travel bike, but I know my way down a trail.
Zod, get more beer and pop some pop corn! This is real entertainment! Ranger, what is so hard about riding over some rocks? Really, what's the issue here? I really don't understand the " equipment damaging" aspect you speak of. They're ROCKS! On a trail. In the woods!

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
f00lzBurden said:
by the way, popcorn is one word.
convoluted (which i misspelled) has 2 Os.. as we are correcting errors
I babbloo thingsies on Mundays so soopid maybarry pephole wil play sokpuppit and go tu the mrkat wif pigys....

I usually put a few misspelled words at the beginning of all my posts. Kind of a verbal "rock garden". Only skilled readers will be able to get through the first few words and make it down to the part of the post that was only meant for experienced MTBR'ers.

Great success.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
teamdicky said:
I usually put a few misspelled words at the beginning of all my posts. Kind of a verbal "rock garden". Only skilled readers will be able to get through the first few words and make it down to the part of the post that was only meant for experienced MTBR'ers.

Great success.
Rich I ripped out the first part of your reply.....didn't want to hurt my brain. Thanks.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Thread sanitizers suck.

Read the post the way it is instead of messing with the hard work of a dedicated few. The post was intended to be read in one direction including all sections although I may change the direction of the post once a year, sometime around Rosh Hashanah sounds good.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.