Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(If I can get it to work) Here's a vid I took yesterday tailing a rider on Green's Lick. Notice we rocket into the new rockwork at the top. Note that this was the rider in front's first time down the rework. What is everyone *****ing and moaning about????

https://i72.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/elwever/CLIP0014.flv

Looks like good old fashioned mountain biking to me.

edit* f**cking around with the trail is baaaad...mmmkay? well, unless you've got permission to f**k around with the trail.....mmmkay?

·
Registered
106 Posts
nice!

I was thinking "where are the rocks"? Looks like there is a short section, but I guess from all the *****ing in the thread earlier, I expected 200 yards of downhill rock gardens with big drops. Thanks for the perspective.

G

·
Registered
125 Posts
IMO the best comment was about preferring to ride uphill on Greenslick on a single speed (fixie).

How about a video of you riding up following someone on a single speed fixie? Of course, to be fair, you would have to switch back to your WW single speed.

IMO the trailwork made the ride up Greenslick that much more interesting. Going uphill, the filter at the top was a nice tech move that was fun and made me check my speed near the top of a challenging climb and made me wonder about what to expect on the way down to five points. Isn't that the way the filter was designed to work?

Seriously, nice video!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for some great clarification on this issue pisgaproduction. Nice video. I am planning on riding BC for the first time on the 4th (coming from 19' above sea level on the coast). I really wasn't sure how to gauge all the whining over some rocks considering the trail is at around 3000'.
I can't wait to ride this particular trail (rocks included). Now I just need to figure out how to get to the trailheads I want. Any advice for a BC virgin who doesn't mind rocks, roots, etc??

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
nohills said:
Thanks for some great clarification on this issue pisgaproduction. Nice video. I am planning on riding BC for the first time on the 4th (coming from 19' above sea level on the coast). I really wasn't sure how to gauge all the whining over some rocks considering the trail is at around 3000'.
I can't wait to ride this particular trail (rocks included). Now I just need to figure out how to get to the trailheads I want. Any advice for a BC virgin who doesn't mind rocks, roots, etc??
Get a map. BC maps are available at all local bike shops. Proceeds from the sales of maps go to trail work in BC. The rock work was in part funded by map sales. Plus without the map you will be very lost.

Here is a killer route from the Rice Pinnacle parking area.

exit the parking area on the paved trail at the back of the parking lot near the kiosk.
Left Wolf Branch
right on gravel road
left on Ingles Field Gap
bear right and continue climbing up Ingles Field Gap
continue climbing on North Boundry Road
Left on Greens Lick
Left on Sidehill Trail
Left on Little Hickory Top
right on Ingles Field Gap
bear left and continue decending Ingles Field Gap
right on gravel road
left on Wolf Branch Trail
right on gravel road back to the parking area

98% single track. Big tough climbs and mtn dew stye decents. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
nohills said:
I would like to add that although I thought the armoring was no big deal technically this video doesn't really capture the speed and grade you'll be experiencing on the trail (nor will any video). For me, and I'm sure for others, I would think the issue arises when you're trying to catch air repeated. In some sections when you catch air repeatedly there isn't a whole lot of contact time with the ground to brake, so you have to suck-up/pump a jump here and there to brake otherwise you can get *alot* of speed before you know it. If you are decent at jumping and use good judgment this is no problem. But I would guess the problem is that people start catching air and quickly get so much speed and airtime it gets ugly. So combine this with the rocks and I think that's where you get the 'issues' people are reporting.

Like I said I've only gotten to ride it once so far, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't pass too much judgment based on that video alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote from Previous poster: "I would like to add that although I thought the armoring was no big deal technically this video doesn't really capture the speed and grade you'll be experiencing on the trail (nor will any video). For me, and I'm sure for others, I would think the issue arises when you're trying to catch air repeated..."

Mr. Darwin had a theory about those who survived and those who didn't. You have just put this entire whine session into words I couldn't have expressed better myself. If the rocks are causing all these problems for some and not for everyone else, maybe it's not the rocks that are the problem. A-line? If you want that, go buy a lift ticket somewhere. Stay within your limits and you won't get hurt. I always seem to bust my ass right after I get this notion that I'm Mr. Badass who can keep up with anyone. Don't worry, you'll get over it. Those bruises and broken bones take longer and longer to heal as you get older. Great video Eric, I can't wait to get over to see what kind of mess we have created!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The one thing I'll agree with is that the video doesn't really show you how fast you can get going on that trail. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not super fast on that trail but with the added technical features I think that for me it's a bit of an equalizer. I much prefer the trail this way and I'm all for cementing rocks in place so people who can't ride can't mess with the trail.

Get your weight back, get off the front brake, pick a good line and go for it.

Surprises on mountain bike trails? Whodathunkit?

:eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the video shows the speed pretty good. Even looks like Eric almost lost it in that last turn... came out wiiiide! :eekster:

Cool vid though! I can't wait to go check that out for myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.