Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Based on SingleTracks.com, Green River seems to have the best trail in Wyoming.
Is this accurate ?
If we are looking for more of an "Enduro" ride then XC, should we spend a day in Green River ?

Thanks !

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
I won't denigrate what Green River has built and the coolness of their trails on the ridge above the river is not to be denied, but I wouldn't have it listed at the best trail in the state. Not sure I know, but if you're looking for "Enduro", you probably should be looking towards Jackson and their stuff. A sampling:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-videos/watch-turn-clinic-black-canyon-teton-pass-wyoming/

But to be honest, some of the non-developed, "up in the hills" stuff that the local shops will know about is the authentic Wyoming experience. If you are traveling I-80, try Happy Jack and Vedauwoo/Twin Mountain/Blair areas (between Laramie and Cheyenne), Rock Creek out of Arlington (between Laramie and Rawlins), and Green River. Off the I-80 corridor, Lander has some stuff and certainly Jackson probably has the most elevation change associated with trails (hence extended downhills).

YMMV

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
I would say head to Jackson and Targhee. I've ridden only a bit in Jackson and not at all at Targhee, but people I respect who've spent some time in Targhee say that's some of the best riding they've ever done. And Green River is really very good, but there really isn't much elevation change so the idea of enduro style riding doesn't fit there -- it's fun and beautiful (in a Wyoming high desert sort of way), but not much in the way of extended descents.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I was there this weekend and rode the bike park. I had a good time, there's a lot there. But both times I went there (it's quite big) I was the ONLY bike there. There were weeds growing in some of the lines, and a couple of the expert jumps/drops were not rideable due to eroded take offs and landings.

It's definitely worth going, but it not running at 100%.

The town is only like 12k people, and there just isn't the population to support a park that good. If that park were in SLC there'd be 50 kids in there every night, easy.

FWIW, the trail Valle Del Lobo was a lot of fun, it's new as of late last year.

I do agree that the vertical is just not there for big Enduro type riding, but it's certainly worth a visit. I ride a lot of great areas (living in SLC, UT), and Green River is worth a once a year trip for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.