Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Dave, unfortunately for you VT has done an excellent job keeping up with the times, providing modern recreation for their communities, and doing it in a really great way. This yields some fun trail and because the rest of New England, Mass and CT specifically, aren't doing this for their communities you're going to keep getting lots and lots of tourists.

If you want to stop it, support modern trail development in those backwards southern New England states so those folks have more reason to stay home. But they'll still travel, VT has always been a tourist spot for the folks from down there.

You're views seem to align more with MA and CT than VT, when you're ready to move my bet is they will still be 20 years behind VT and the rest of the country with recreation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice try, but not the type of small person I was referring to.

Plenty of us giving to our communities all the time and others who give so much more. And don't have to crow every time they move a branch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
...and it get's personal. Shocked. So what if I'm 5'6 and 3/4" It does not seem relevant. My record of personal investment of time and energy contradicts your assertion. I take great pleasure in seeing folks enjoy what I have created here. I give back to any scene I take from many times over. Anyone who actually knows me knows this to be true, and I'm comfortable with people hiding behind screen names not getting that.

Is Matt Batts not community oriented because he doesn't wat Pittsfield to become a tourist trap because of his efforts? Tourists are not members of a community they visit, by definition.

You all just need to get over the fact that my mantra rings more true every day for all but the segment of riders trying to make money of VTMTB, or those seduced by social status associated with commercial MTB activity like VMBA clubs. I got where I am based on decades of involvement and honest observation. You can't hide from the truth, and GMT is seeming to begin to realize, and it's a bummer because there is never enough time, never enough help, but never a shortage of customers.

Visitors to Vermont MTB trails are mostly not "customers." They are not paying to use trails, except in a few places that ask for fees to support trail maintenance. VMBA is a non-profit organization. To say that they "make money off of VTMTB" is like saying the American Cancer Society makes money off of cancer.

Game over, Dave. All you do is trash every biking location in VT except your own and you've made it clear that you wish the worst for the community here.

If you're so "over" Vermont biking, then go away. Stop posting here. Work on your trails until your rental opportunity pans out and then get lost. You have nothing to offer here and everyone is sick of your relentless negativity.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dave, unfortunately for you VT has done an excellent job keeping up with the times, providing modern recreation for their communities, and doing it in a really great way. This yields some fun trail and because the rest of New England, Mass and CT specifically, aren't doing this for their communities you're going to keep getting lots and lots of tourists.

If you want to stop it, support modern trail development in those backwards southern New England states so those folks have more reason to stay home. But they'll still travel, VT has always been a tourist spot for the folks from down there.

You're views seem to align more with MA and CT than VT, when you're ready to move my bet is they will still be 20 years behind VT and the rest of the country with recreation.
Our opinions differ. I appreciate you civility. Can't believe clubs pay 50 grand and up per mile and feel like they're getting their money's worth. Just rode North Branch for the first time as part of a long ride. Yikes, what a disaster. I have to think Sinuosity must have a maintenance contract. If that is the case, his layout is genius. I know a lot of folks in that community, and in the club have second thoughts. Everything else we rode, built by volunteers and not advertised was awesome, challenging, and aesthetically beautiful.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice try, but not the type of small person I was referring to.

Plenty of us giving to our communities all the time and others who give so much more. And don't have to crow every time they move a branch.
It's called shrinkage...SHRINKAGE! Also, I moved 4 sticks today.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
GMT is a ten minute drive from Killington, home of the biggest DH park in New England. I highly doubt it will remain "small town" regardless of who they partner with.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
FWIW: I've ridden GMT a handful of times, and it's always practically empty. It's one of the best and under the radar ride areas in New England. I don't think anyone profits from those trails (maybe a few customers at local markets). It has limited parking (if you don't want to get your feet wet;) ) Involves long climbs (wonderfully built climbs, but long enough to keep folks limited). And, it's not really 'marketed' other than one old school website. In fact, I always marvel at the amount of work that has gone into those trails relative to user numbers and no large economic gain: Just a true passion project.

Have there been other major confrontations between users and owners?? From the original post it sounded like this was the first time in GMT's history.

KT is really the only place that seemed to sell a large-scale marketing experience. Which probably explains why so many people drive past 1000's of miles of great single track to ride there.

It's always good to remind and encourage others to go out of their way to be courteous and grateful while riding--but, I'm not sure there is a crisis of callous product devouring market driven-mountain bikers destroying the ride culture of greater New England (or Vermont in the particular).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure why my post from yesterday was deleted. Nothing in it was ad hominem or otherwise inappropriate. Please delete my MTBR account. Thanks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Not sure why my post from yesterday was deleted. Nothing in it was ad hominem or otherwise inappropriate. Please delete my MTBR account. Thanks.

Good question. I thought the post was well articulated overall and don't recall anything approaching offensive or personal etc.

Odd.....maybe I am mis-remembering

21 - 30 of 30 Posts