Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video -Green Mt WA

Short video (2.5 MB MPG) of rock-wall climb on Green Mountain. The second part of the video will show what I was climbing in the first.

Note:
This was actually shot with a SD300 Canon digital camera that has video capability. Its primary function is to take single pictures. The camera is easy to put in a CamelBak (it is the size of a credit card, 4.5 oz). Check out my profile shot, it is a single frame from the video. I also included a single shot from GM taken on a ride last week. This photo was stepped on from 2.5 MB down to 124K for upload however still pretty clear.

The bike is a Santa Cruz Blur...

Please right mouse-click and download video before viewing so as not to hammer my WEB service.

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12001/MyPhotos/climb.MPG

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
MarkHL said:
Give the link another try, WEB service may have been down....

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12...hotos/climb.MPG

Here is a picture of the climb...
You should ride up Horse Killer!

I offer $1000 to anyone who can ride from the gold creek parking lot to the top of horse killer (no taking the alternate route on horse killer) without touching the ground once. I think I'm safe to say no one will be doing that anytime soon. :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MicroHuck said:

I offer $1000 to anyone who can ride from the gold creek parking lot to the top of horse killer (no taking the alternate route on horse killer) without touching the ground once. I think I'm safe to say no one will be doing that anytime soon. :D
message removed...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
MicroHuck said:

If you are serious i know about 3 guys right off hand that could probably do it. They'd stall in spots to get a rest and ride up. We're talking pro level riders here though....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Skookum said:
If you are serious i know about 3 guys right off hand that could probably do it. They'd stall in spots to get a rest and ride up. We're talking pro level riders here though....
I doubt it. Unless they are really good at balancing in one spot while resting. Even then there's one section that I see everyone fall on.

I've made it up over 2/3 of the way without touching once. It was wet so once I hit the REALLY nasty root drop section I was too tired to hop over them and slipped on the roots. Needless to say I was toast for the remainder of the ride!

I've seen plenty of tree trunk legged guys try to balls up it. They all make the same mistake of leaving the seat really high. They then don't have enough leg tavel to get up the root drops.

I think if I had a 26 lb bike with a 36 tooth ring in back I could do it on a dry day. Only thing is that I ride a 35lb beast with 32 ring, which is hell, to say the least.

BTW, horse killer is a breeze if you go on the alternate root around all the nasty stuff.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
MicroHuck said:
I doubt it. Unless they are really good at balancing in one spot while resting. Even then there's one section that I see everyone fall on.

I've made it up over 2/3 of the way without touching once. It was wet so once I hit the REALLY nasty root drop section I was too tired to hop over them and slipped on the roots. Needless to say I was toast for the remainder of the ride!

I've seen plenty of tree trunk legged guys try to balls up it. They all make the same mistake of leaving the seat really high. They then don't have enough leg tavel to get up the root drops.

I think if I had a 26 lb bike with a 36 tooth ring in back I could do it on a dry day. Only thing is that I ride a 35lb beast with 32 ring, which is hell, to say the least.

BTW, horse killer is a breeze if you go on the alternate root around all the nasty stuff.
ok then whatever you say, but i noticed you didn't say you had the grand to put up..... ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MicroHuck said:

From a previous post, this is a root structure on the way down horse killer.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=749420#post749420

I've ridden down it many times, however I haven't ridden up it yet. Most of it is rideable, but there are soft deep troughs carved out from motorcycle and horse traffic that cause traction problems. Riding (climbing) over roots structures is basically the art of shifting ones weight and has less to do with brute power. Available traction seems to be the most limiting issue with steep climbs unless your bike weighs 35 pounds.

I apologize to all who thought I was claiming some great feat having ridden up the the small hill in the video, however those of you who are familar with this section, know it's a bit more tricky than it appears in this video. I was more impressed with the camera (it was a new toy) this was the main subject of the original post.

On any given day, I'd rather ride with someone with higher skills than my own.

Mark

·
Registered
606 Posts
MarkHL said:
From a previous post, this is a root structure on the way down horse killer.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=749420#post749420

I've ridden down it many times, however I haven't ridden up it yet. Most of it is rideable, but there are soft deep troughs carved out from motorcycle and horse traffic that cause traction problems. Riding (climbing) over roots structures is basically the art of shifting ones weight and has less to do with brute power. Available traction seems to be the most limiting issue with steep climbs unless your bike weighs 35 pounds.

I apologize to all who thought I was claiming some great feat having ridden up the the small hill in the video, however those of you who are familar with this section, know it's a bit more tricky than it appears in this video. I was more impressed with the camera (it was a new toy) this was the main subject of the original post.

On any given day, I'd rather ride with someone with higher skills than my own.

Mark
I think I know where the section you rode up is located. Pretty impressive! That sucker is short, but hell, it's even hard walking up that biotch let alone ride up it!!! There's also the factor of loose gravel too.

Isn't it weird how video and pictures make things looks easy?

BTW, on my last ride up there, my buddy blew his fork into smitherines (sp?). His Marzocchi just straight up snapped in half!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Root Hop Video on Gold Creek - Green MT.

MicroHuck said:
I think I know where the section you rode up is located. Pretty impressive! That sucker is short, but hell, it's even hard walking up that biotch let alone ride up it!!! There's also the factor of loose gravel too.

Isn't it weird how video and pictures make things looks easy?

BTW, on my last ride up there, my buddy blew his fork into smitherines (sp?). His Marzocchi just straight up snapped in half!!
Here's a short video of a root hop on the Gold Creek Trail Climb . I inset the start with a picture of the root. No help shooting on this one, I set the camera on my CamelBak laying on the trail to get this perspective (5/14/2005). Pretty good front fork action on this one (Marz - Marathon SL) . The root is just under half a wheel height (enough to leave wood chips on my big ring).

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12001/MyPhotos/RootHop.WMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.