Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nice day... (Saturday 12/10/2005)

Trails are clear and mostly dry...

Pics...

1) View from Gold Creek parking lot, Green Mountain (1650ft) in the right foreground breaking out of its shroud of clouds

2) View from the top, looking west toward the Olympics

3) Summit picture, still snow in exposed locations (Notice the bike is still clean...)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
MarkHL said:
Nice day... (Saturday 12/10/2005)

Trails are clear and mostly dry...
Yeah, I was there Friday and had hoped to post the same happy report for the benefit of all you weekenders. But here's something else. You know that cautionary sign regarding car prowlers at the Wildcat Trailhead?

Well, BELIEVE IT! :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
SRR said:
Yeah, I was there Friday and had hoped to post the same happy report for the benefit of all you weekenders. But here's something else. You know that cautionary sign regarding car prowlers at the Wildcat Trailhead?

Well, BELIEVE IT! :-[
Bummer deal. Smashed window?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Skookum said:
Bummer deal. Smashed window?
Yup. Not only that but they bent the piss out of my door frame in the process (which'll be fun since I only carry liability).

'Guess the smart thing is NOT to lock your vehicle.

Bear in mind too that my little 91 Ford Ranger is as unassuming as they get and not much of a target (you would think). Plus, I'd left nothing of any real value inside (except to me of course). Of course that's all probably scattered along some highway now, including my SWEET wind/water-proof black Hind mitten shells (why they weren't in my Camel-bak as usual, I'll never know) and my FAVORITE for-the-road-been-to-Moab-and-back Grand Funk Railroad cd's! :-o

Add to that the fact that I don't REALLY care that much for GM to begin with. In fact, I hadn't been out there for almost three years! So WHY Friday?

Aaaarrrghhhhh! ;-O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Bummer, I have a '90 ranger that has very little of value (accept for a cheap aftermarket radio), I never thought it would be worth breaking into but I guess I may have to switch to my '69 F100 which is really worth nothing so I can just leave it there unlocked with the windows down when I ride, there is really nothing to steal out of that truck. It's just sick what some scumbags will do these days, maybe we'll just have to start bringing along an extra friend with a good book and a .45 when we go riding to protect the vehicles while we are riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Mt. Biker said:
Bummer, I have a '90 ranger that has very little of value (accept for a cheap aftermarket radio), I never thought it would be worth breaking into but I guess I may have to switch to my '69 F100 which is really worth nothing so I can just leave it there unlocked with the windows down when I ride, there is really nothing to steal out of that truck. It's just sick what some scumbags will do these days, maybe we'll just have to start bringing along an extra friend with a good book and a .45 when we go riding to protect the vehicles while we are riding.
To hell with a .45! 12-gauge pump at the very least (and I volunteer)! Funny thing is -- not so funny really -- a Kitsap County Sheriff cruised by while I standing there amidst all that shattered glass. I waved my arms like crazy but he just motor'd on by. Of course, it wouldn't have helped much, but at least I'd have had an opportunity to rant a little and let off some steam. You'd think with the warning sign posted there, they'd swing through from time to time just to check (a video camera'd be nice, if it's ENOUGH of a problem to post a sign in the first place). But he didn't even stop with me standing there jumping up and down and waving my arms!

I guess I shouldn't complain though. I've been getting away with leaving a vehicle at trailheads for YEARS. I guess my number came up. :-[
 

·
Gnar
Joined
·
476 Posts
Great pics and a beautiful day, thanks for sharing!

And about the break in…Sorry to hear it. My truck, a Ford Ranger too, was broken into a couple of years ago at a different location. The guy at the body shop said he always sees an increase in break ins this time of year. People get just a little more desperate before the holidays, what a way to spread the holiday cheer…Since then I never keep anything of value in my vehicle, if I get broken into now the thief’s are going to be very disappointed. Doesn’t help any with the vehicle damage though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
FYI, All

Jet Fuel said:
And about the break in…Sorry to hear it. My truck, a Ford Ranger too, was broken into a couple of years ago at a different location. The guy at the body shop said he always sees an increase in break ins this time of year. People get just a little more desperate before the holidays, what a way to spread the holiday cheer…Since then I never keep anything of value in my vehicle, if I get broken into now the thief's are going to be very disappointed. Doesn't help any with the vehicle damage though.
It must be something about Ford Rangers then. I guess we must seem to be wimps or easy marks because we drive 'little' trucks. :-|

BTW, Sherman Valley Y in Cap is another spot to avoid, for the many who like to park at that popular intersection.

Break in once, shame on you!
Brake in twice, shame on . . . . :-|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,729 Posts
Well the X-mas cheer just keeps on giving.... My grandmas house burned up this Saturday, and to add insult to injury someone broke in yesterday and stole all of her jewelry and native american beadwork that survived the fire. i was going to grab it but i was told it would be better to wait for the insurance company to come in and take pictures.

if i ever catch anyone stealing anyones stuff, i swear i won't mind going to jail beating the living hell out of em. i'm just sick and tired of vultures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Skookum said:
Bummer deal. Smashed window?
Sorry to hear that. I thought the break-ends had quieted down lately. I figured the responsible ones had actually finally did something significant enough to buy them a little jail time.
Breaking in cars will not get them any, even with a description of the couple involve (guy and girl) and their license number. The girl scouts the trail while the guy picks up a rock and puts it through the right front passenger window. They then grab anything that might contain money (i.e., they'll take your clothes). This guy who's son had his vehicle broken into spent several weeks out there hiding in the bushes with a video camera (ah the joys of retirement).

The county cut down a lot of the bush and trees in front of the trailhead giving it more exposure from the road.

I never lock my vehicle there, have nothing of value in the car, and normally have my window down about half way. I'm guessing they've cased my vehicle enough times they've just gave up on it by now. I parked in the lots (Gold Creek and Wildcat) over 160 times this year (sometimes at night) and have not had my window broken . I'm guessing eventually I'm going to lose my battery. However, it'll be cheaper (and a lot less hassle) than getting the window replaced.

I also drive an old ratty looking Toyota truck to the trail head, the uglier it gets the better I like it. Paint peeling off, who cares, crack starting to cross the windshield, nice touch.

Rat-mobile picture below...

I remember this day (7/30/05) because I sub-fiftied the Lower Big Quilcene Trail (in the up hill direction). I normally run crossmax but had removed them and put on the lighter wheels and tires.

Enough said, I've done hijacked my own thread...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
MarkHL said:
Sorry to hear that. I thought the break-ends had quieted down lately. I figured the responsible ones had actually finally did something significant enough to buy them a little jail time.
Breaking in cars will not get them any, even with a description of the couple involve (guy and girl) and their license number. The girl scouts the trail while the guy picks up a rock and puts it through the right front passenger window. They then grab anything that might contain money (i.e., they'll take your clothes). This guy who's son had his vehicle broken into spent several weeks out there hiding in the bushes with a video camera (ah the joys of retirement).

The county cut down a lot of the bush and trees in front of the trailhead giving it more exposure from the road.

I never lock my vehicle there, have nothing of value in the car, and normally have my window down about half way. I'm guessing they've cased my vehicle enough times they've just gave up on it by now. I parked in the lots (Gold Creek and Wildcat) over 160 times this year (sometimes at night) and have not had my window broken . I'm guessing eventually I'm going to lose my battery. However, it'll be cheaper (and a lot less hassle) than getting the window replaced.

I also drive an old ratty looking Toyota truck to the trail head, the uglier it gets the better I like it. Paint peeling off, who cares, crack starting to cross the windshield, nice touch.

Rat-mobile picture below...

I remember this day (7/30/05) because I sub-fiftied the Lower Big Quilcene Trail (in the up hill direction). I normally run crossmax but had removed them and put on the lighter wheels and tires.

Enough said, I've done hijacked my own thread...
Ohhhh no, is that the guy and girl who drive the big van? I've seen them too. Shady looking crack head meth smokers. Guess what? They busted my buddy's car open, left everything valuable (camping equipment) and stole his crappy car speakers? WTF?

There are also some guys on motor bikes that have been steeling stuff. They come in the evening to the Gold creek trail head and get cars. Peopl have found empty wallets on the trail near there.

Best places to park:

Gold creek during weekends and light hours. After dark, you're screwed. There's usually enough horse people and hikers to keep theft away during the day. Otherwise park on the road.

The north west GM gate. Plenty of parking on the side of the road there. Never see piles of glass, so it must be safe.

Park at the convenience store down the road from the Wildcat trailhead, or in the park. It's not a long ride to the trailhead.

The auto body shop on the Northwest side. Guy who owns it is really cool and will shoot any prowlers. Just ask him about parking there, he will be happy to let you, as long as you take a bussiness card.

I've considered taking my crappy truck into there one night and waiting for those crack heads with my high powered pelet gun. It's more powerful than a .22 pistol. Won't kill them, but will sure as hell leave a pellet deep in their ass. Then just call the police and have them look out in hospitals for a crackhead with a pellet in his ass.

In any case 99.999% of the breakins here happen near or after dark.

Only time I;ve seen a cop go into Wildcat parking lot is when he had to take an emergency dump in the outhouse there. He came tearing into the parking lot, did a 180 to a stop near the toilet, jumped out of his car holding his ass, waddled to the toilet, and then stopped. He stopped for 5 seconds with one hand on his ass and pulled his gun out with the other. Seriously, the dude had his gun cocked while opening the door, looked inside and then entered... LOL..... cops..... :D

BTW, does the dude with no legs post on here? He is freakin awesome. I've seen guys with both their legs who are not ever half as good as that guy. Nice guy too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Red Flags

MarkHL said:
Sorry to hear that. I thought the break-ends had quieted down lately. I figured the responsible ones had actually finally did something significant enough to buy them a little jail time.
Breaking in cars will not get them any, even with a description of the couple involve (guy and girl) and their license number. The girl scouts the trail while the guy picks up a rock and puts it through the right front passenger window. They then grab anything that might contain money (i.e., they'll take your clothes). This guy who's son had his vehicle broken into spent several weeks out there hiding in the bushes with a video camera (ah the joys of retirement).

The county cut down a lot of the bush and trees in front of the trailhead giving it more exposure from the road.

I never lock my vehicle there, have nothing of value in the car, and normally have my window down about half way. I'm guessing they've cased my vehicle enough times they've just gave up on it by now. I parked in the lots (Gold Creek and Wildcat) over 160 times this year (sometimes at night) and have not had my window broken . I'm guessing eventually I'm going to lose my battery. However, it'll be cheaper (and a lot less hassle) than getting the window replaced.

I also drive an old ratty looking Toyota truck to the trail head, the uglier it gets the better I like it. Paint peeling off, who cares, crack starting to cross the windshield, nice touch.

Rat-mobile picture below...

I remember this day (7/30/05) because I sub-fiftied the Lower Big Quilcene Trail (in the up hill direction). I normally run crossmax but had removed them and put on the lighter wheels and tires.

Enough said, I've done hijacked my own thread...
You're right. My mistake was leaving small bag on the front seat that contains dry socks, extra ride warmies, things like that. No big loss but for a pair of Seal Skinz socks and my Hind mitten shells. I'm just glad my NR Storm wasn't in there, as it often is at this time of year. Of course, after noticing the sign at the trailhead, I decided to be 'smart', so I detached my stereo face and tossed it into the bag too, so that it wouldn't be visible at least. So they got that probably without realizing it when they grabbed the bag! So, $140 so far for the window (add $250 to fix the door properly -- not gonna happen), $150-200 for a new CD player probably (unlikely to find a replacement face), $50 in small clothing items, half a dozen CDs -- and, yeah, they grabbed a nice $100+ rain parka I always carry behind the seat also.

So we're into the $500-800 range here already! which just goes to show that 'leaving no valuables' doesn't JUST apply to laptops or cameras or wallets! And if all my crap had been scattered around on the floor and the seat (like it usually is), I probably woulda been OK. It was the bag that did it. So much for trying to get organized. :-[

I guess you get lulled into a false sense of security at the backcountry trailheads in the summer because they're usually too far out for Bubba and his buddies. But closer to town, well, better start thinking about it again.

Waving red flags here helps too! so I'm glad I posted this now, if only for the benefit of others to follow. This is a good place to spread the the word regarding the relatively few trailheads that are most risky. And there are a lot of riders like me who go some distance to bag a given trail only infrequently, and who might not always be aware of the local situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
SpawningGround said:
Only time I;ve seen a cop go into Wildcat parking lot is when he had to take an emergency dump in the outhouse there. He came tearing into the parking lot, did a 180 to a stop near the toilet, jumped out of his car holding his ass, waddled to the toilet, and then stopped. He stopped for 5 seconds with one hand on his ass and pulled his gun out with the other. Seriously, the dude had his gun cocked while opening the door, looked inside and then entered... LOL..... cops..... :D

BTW, does the dude with no legs post on here? He is freakin awesome. I've seen guys with both their legs who are not ever half as good as that guy. Nice guy too.
That's a hilarious story about the cop. I just wish I were more inclined to laugh at the moment, but I'd rather imagine throwing a rope around that outhouse instead and dragging it down the highway with him in it!

Are you talking about Brett Wolf, the famous one-legged mountain biker from Seattle? I rode down Ranger Creek with him last summer and, if so, well, I have good story to tell. That guy IS amazing! Now, whenever I start to feel sorry for myself on some climb, or my buddy starts to whine (as usual), I just say, 'Hell, any ONE-LEGGER can do it! So what's YOUR problem?' ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Skookum said:
Well the X-mas cheer just keeps on giving.... My grandmas house burned up this Saturday, and to add insult to injury someone broke in yesterday and stole all of her jewelry and native american beadwork that survived the fire. i was going to grab it but i was told it would be better to wait for the insurance company to come in and take pictures.

if i ever catch anyone stealing anyones stuff, i swear i won't mind going to jail beating the living hell out of em. i'm just sick and tired of vultures.
Well, I don't feel so bad now. I got what I deserved for being stupid, I suppose. But to steal from some elderly person who just got burned out of their home? That's beyond ignorant. If you ever catch that guy, give me a call. . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
SpawningGround said:
BTW, does the dude with no legs post on here? He is freakin awesome. I've seen guys with both their legs who are not ever half as good as that guy. Nice guy too.
I just ran into him a few weeks ago and talked to him for a few min. as we were getting ready to go and he was loading up to leave. It was inspiring to see him ride up and load his bike in the roof rack then hop in his car and drive off just like anyone else (accpet he changed his legs before driving off) looking much less tired than I do after a ride, makes me feel like a wuss having 2 legs and all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
SpawningGround said:
BTW, does the dude with no legs post on here? He is freakin awesome. I've seen guys with both their legs who are not ever half as good as that guy. Nice guy too.
Mt. Biker said:
I just ran into him a few weeks ago and talked to him for a few min. as we were getting ready to go and he was loading up to leave. It was inspiring to see him ride up and load his bike in the roof rack then hop in his car and drive off just like anyone else (accpet he changed his legs before driving off) looking much less tired than I do after a ride, makes me feel like a wuss having 2 legs and all.
OK, if we're talking about the same guy, I just LOVE to tell this story but I'm gonna start a fresh thread so it doesn't get buried. So keep an eye open for 'Man of Iron'. :-]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mt. Biker said:
I just ran into him a few weeks ago and talked to him for a few min. as we were getting ready to go and he was loading up to leave. It was inspiring to see him ride up and load his bike in the roof rack then hop in his car and drive off just like anyone else (accpet he changed his legs before driving off) looking much less tired than I do after a ride, makes me feel like a wuss having 2 legs and all.
I believe the guys name is Jeff Humphrey (or Humphries), he normally parks near the old Gold Creek parking lot next to the stream crossing and almost always rides Tin Mine. He said he lost his legs in the first Iraqi War (Desert Storm) when he stepped on a land-mine. He works for the company in Poulsbo that develops artificial limbs.
He does not post on this site to my knowledge...

I was on the Gold Creek Trails tonight, finishing with my light on. Trail is in perfect shape, not wet or dry but that perfect consistency that allows you to climb like a goat. I'd say the trails are about as good as they get right now. One day of motorcycles without any additional moisture can change that quickly. So if your going to ride here on a weekend I'd suggest Saturday and not Sunday as they can get chewed up pretty good on a weekend day.

Don't know if any motorcycle riders are ripping off cars, but they are ripping the trails. It started about six weeks ago on the Gold Creek side. These guys are spinning their tires nearly the entire ascent of the trail and rippin' soft ruts anywhere they have to slow down (i.e. turns, roots).
The horse, foot traffic, and showers help pack it back down, but Sunday's can be ugly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
MarkHL said:
I believe the guys name is Jeff Humphrey (or Humphries), he normally parks near the old Gold Creek parking lot next to the stream crossing and almost always rides Tin Mine. He said he lost his legs in the first Iraqi War (Desert Storm) when he stepped on a land-mine. He works for the company in Poulsbo that develops artificial limbs.
He does not post on this site to my knowledge...
Oops! We're talking about different guys then, and I just posted my 'story' about Brett Wolf. Oh, well, it's worth a read anyway. Maybe you should tack this on at that thread too ('Man of Iron'). All guys like this should be models for the rest of us. :-|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SRR said:
Well, I don't feel so bad now. I got what I deserved for being stupid, I suppose. But to steal from some elderly person who just got burned out of their home? That's beyond ignorant. If you ever catch that guy, give me a call. . . .
You weren't stupid... they did NOT get your wallet or ID. You should have been okay, you took the minimum pre-cautions of not displaying anything of value in your vehicle. Basically, you were unlucky. I parked right over the spot you got vandalized last night, the fresh broken glass to the right of the trailhead was obvious.
You could wish the people doing this harm, however if this is what they've sunk to, their life probably pretty much sucks already. They have to wake up with themselves each day and live in the stench of a life they've created for themselves. Even without remorse, life will pay them back for their ways...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top