Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw this quote from bikinvt in another thread and thought it might be worth a new one...
bikinvt said:
Been to Pisgah National Forest / Ashville / Brevard area a couple of times and they've got multi-use dialed.. it is possible. Next step, Green Mountain National Forest!!!
does any one know where the state stands currently with this?

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
VMBA has worked with the state on some parcels I guess. Waterbury for one. I know they want to put a touring center together to include Little River State Park over to Nebraska Valley and into the Trapps touring center. Patrick could tell us.

·
beer thief
4,911 Posts
DaveVt said:
VMBA has worked with the state on some parcels I guess. Waterbury for one. I know they want to put a touring center together to include Little River State Park over to Nebraska Valley and into the Trapps touring center. Patrick could tell us.
GMNF is Federal land, nothing to do with state bureaucracy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
National Forest

yep, there is a whole 'nother thread about the Green Mountain National Forest. In a nutshell, it is moving well. I was out there on Tuesday with the foresters and some Middlebury club guys, flagging more sections of the Oakridge Trail to be worked on in spring/summer/fall '09. We even got to take down a few 'no mountain bikes' signs! I'm meeting with the Forest Service on Nov 14, along with our Bennington and Stratton clubs to discuss the trails down there which were recently designated for mt bikes. It's surely a long process, but the Forest Service are great folks to work with and are very helpful with this new access. Little River to Cotton Brook & Stowe, etc. is moving too. I was out there with state staff last week looking at options and connectors. Check out this press release about the project..... http://www.vtsports.com/articles/vmba-wins-grant-national-park-service-rivers-trails-program

Next meeting on that project is Dec 1st.

Biggearss and I were up in the new Duxbury zone today, flagging and clearing a very nice new trail - tentatively called 'Holy Roller', nice flowy sections and cool technical/ledges and drops. Very cool up there. PK

·
Registered
203 Posts
Green Mountain National Forest

Here are a couple of photos from the Oakridge Trail visit in the Green Mountain National Forest last week. There should be an article about this project in the upcoming edition of Dirt Rag, due out in a week or so.

Attachments

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Taking down "no mountain biking" signs much be so coooool! A huge win on outdoor access!

So many things going positively lately! Wow!

·
Registered
203 Posts
IMBA - Green Mountain National Forest

The International Mountain Bicycling Association, will be in the Green Mountain National Forest on August 7th and 8th, for their Trail Care Crew Workshop. We need riders to show up and represent. Things are moving well with the USFS in Vermont, and we need a big show of support at this event. Schedule is below, if you are stretched for time, then Saturday Aug 8th would be the best day to be there. Please help if you can, beer and BBQ on VMBA afterwards. Meet at Blueberry Hill Inn, Goshen VT @ 9 a.m. http://www.blueberryhillinn.com/map.htm

Friday, August 7th
8 a.m.-10 a.m. --- trail design classroom session at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center
10 a.m. - noon --- question and answer session focusing on sustainable trail design techniques at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. --- trail design and layout in the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area (Oakridge Trail)
If you are staying for the afternoon session, please bring lunch, water and field clothing

Saturday, August 8th
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. all day trail work session in the field in the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area (meet at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center)
Please bring lunch, water and field clothing
Evening BBQ provided by VMBA

Sunday August 9th
VMBA Board Meeting in Pittsfield.
2:30 p.m. meet at Pittsfield Village Green to ride
6 p.m. meet at Amee Farm in Pittsfield for Board Meeting

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Patrick, are any of the trails in the Dunmore / Moosalamoo area officially open for biking yet? I know there were several under discussion.

JZ

·
Registered
203 Posts
JimZinVT said:
Patrick, are any of the trails in the Dunmore / Moosalamoo area officially open for biking yet? I know there were several under discussion.

JZ

Yes and no - the Oakridge and Moosalamoo Trails are designated for riding, but need a ton of work before they are suitable for bikes. A lot of the work has been identified, and is ready to go, now we just need volunteers, trail crews and $$, all of which we are working on. Can you make it next weekend? If so, your time will be much appreciated! Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
203 Posts
JimZinVT said:

JZ

Yes and no - the Oakridge and Moosalamoo Trails are designated for riding, but need a ton of work before they are suitable for bikes. A lot of the work has been identified, and is ready to go, now we just need volunteers, trail crews and $$, all of which we are working on. Can you make it next weekend? If so, your time will be much appreciated! Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
203 Posts
JimZinVT said:

JZ

·
Registered
203 Posts
JimZinVT said:

JZ

·
Registered
203 Posts
aa1pr said:
If some one can send me more info I am interested.
IMBA - Green Mountain National Forest
The International Mountain Bicycling Association, will be in the Green Mountain National Forest on August 7th and 8th, for their Trail Care Crew Workshop. We need riders to show up and represent. Things are moving well with the USFS in Vermont, and we need a big show of support at this event. Schedule is below, if you are stretched for time, then Saturday Aug 8th would be the best day to be there. Please help if you can, beer and BBQ on VMBA afterwards. Meet at Blueberry Hill Inn, Goshen VT @ 9 a.m. http://www.blueberryhillinn.com/map.htm

Friday, August 7th
8 a.m.-10 a.m. --- trail design classroom session at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center
10 a.m. - noon --- question and answer session focusing on sustainable trail design techniques at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. --- trail design and layout in the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area (Oakridge Trail)
If you are staying for the afternoon session, please bring lunch, water and field clothing

Saturday, August 8th
9 a.m. - 4 p.m. all day trail work session in the field in the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area (meet at Blueberry Hill Cross Country Ski Center)
Please bring lunch, water and field clothing
Evening BBQ provided by VMBA

Sunday August 9th
VMBA Board Meeting in Pittsfield.
2:30 p.m. meet at Pittsfield Village Green to ride
6 p.m. meet at Amee Farm in Pittsfield for Board Meeting

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I had planned to attend the Saturday session. But I've toasted my back rebuilding my driveway after Wednesday's flash floods, so we'll see.....

Damn rain!

JZ

1 - 20 of 26 Posts