Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode Green Mountain today. I expected it to be dry since the weather has been so warm in Denver since Tuesday. Alas, this was not the case. It's entirely too muddy to ride at the moment, except the big hill from the south parking lot. Even that section was rather muddy though.

You can read a long version of my experience here (Click on "Green Mountain Mud").

Edit: Obviously, I cannot read very well, otherwise, I would have noticed this post and saved myself the grief of riding today. Time to sign up for trail maintenance, I think.

·
Registered
770 Posts
What not to do!

Yeah I read your post and feel bad for your stolen bike, but you should really have exercised a little bit more common sense!

These big snows take some time to melt. Yes, GM dries out faster than most but the ground is clay and won't soak up that much water.

This time of year in colorado is really hit and miss. Thats why the winters here are so great. For the most part in the winters it's really dry and you can most likely ride whereever the hell you want w/o doing any trail damage.

In the early spring these monster storms come in and effectively close down the trails for a few days at a time, and as you've seen this one will probably close them down for much longer.

Sorry about the rant, just pisses me off!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gm

Edit: Obviously, I cannot read very well, otherwise, I would have noticed this post and saved myself the grief of riding today. Time to sign up for trail maintenance, I think.[/QUOTE]

I guess we all can't be the sharpest tool in the shed! Next time please consider taking the day off!!!

·
Your bike sucks
2,567 Posts
Arrggghhh!

I'm beginning to realize that popular thinking follows "if I can get my bike through it - it's ok to ride". I know the original poster was semi-remorseful but it pains me none the less.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
And on a serious note...what can we do to fix this problem? More trail head signage?

At a min. everyone one of us has a dumb friend, whether we admit it or not. Take the time to educate your idiot friend and hopefully raise the level of respect all mtbers have for the trails.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just Wait A Bit Will Ya...

I sure wish folks would be a little more sensative to the damage they do to trails when they ride in those conditions. You tear things up for weeks to come. Please, please, please, just sit tight, wait for the snow to melt and things to dry out before you go riding. Go for a spin on your road bike, go for a run, but please stop damaging trails by riding when it is soft and muddy. It's really not cool and its frustrating to those of us who do try and excercise respect for the trails we ride everyday. :(

·
My cup runneth over
2,429 Posts
You guys may be being a little hard on Braddk. Although it was probably a mistake to ride GM that day, his edit indicates he understand he shouldn't have (should have read the earlier post of GM conditions etc). I would also venture to say the even the most careful of us has blown it occasionally in our zeal for a ride (no insult intended to those who truely have NEVER blown it :) ). If anything Braddk's post encourages me to continue to post trail conditions reports based on the 'view from my house' or my early 'frozen conditions rides'. I have sometimes felt a little foolish particularly when no one responds. Plus I don't always get it right either.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
rmac said:
You guys may be being a little hard on Braddk. Although it was probably a mistake to ride GM that day, his edit indicates he understand he shouldn't have (should have read the earlier post of GM conditions etc). I would also venture to say the even the most careful of us has blown it occasionally in our zeal for a ride (no insult intended to those who truely have NEVER blown it :) ). If anything Braddk's post encourages me to continue to post trail conditions reports based on the 'view from my house' or my early 'frozen conditions rides'. I have sometimes felt a little foolish particularly when no one responds. Plus I don't always get it right either.
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's unfortunate, but it's nothing that can't be remedied with a public caning - no need to ridicule a guy who already sees the err of his ways...

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
But the important thing

s1ngletrack said:
I couldn't have said it better myself. It's unfortunate, but it's nothing that can't be remedied with a public caning - no need to ridicule a guy who already sees the err of his ways...
is maybe somebody read his post and didn't ride gm. But that all gets lost in the hail of stones being thrown...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dbabuser said:
is maybe somebody read his post and didn't ride gm. But that all gets lost in the hail of stones being thrown...
Yeah, I'm sore enough from the caning.

I learned the error of my ways. Although, I knew it was bad to ride on muddy trails, I didn't realize it as much until yesterday. I've read the IMBA articles, but there is nothing like a little praxis to enlighten me. Also, it ended up really sucking having to push my bike everytime I ran into mud, which was pretty much the last four miles of the trail.

I hope others read the trail conditions (and my public flogging) and don't go riding till it's dry. Although it's moot since at that point, I had put enough marks in the trails, I did convince another biker not to ride on the portions which would be damaged.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
braddk said:
Yeah, I'm sore enough from the caning.
Nonsense poopy panty, the front range mafia will be by later today to administer a proper Saturday flogging. Be there or it will just be worse for you.

Juan De Fluco
Asst. to the sweeper
FRM

·
Your bike sucks
2,567 Posts
I'm glad you post those trail condition reports. And while I now know that you do your rides early (when things are sometimes frozen) - for the sake of clarity - you should include that info (time/frozen) when you post. One time I thought you were out of your gord regarding the ride-ability of MW until you later posted that you ride in the early AM when things were still frozen. Ahhh, but late April is upon so I guess it's a moot point until next winter.

Again, I'm very glad that you post that stuff. Thanks!

·
My cup runneth over
2,429 Posts
Carl Mega said:
I'm glad you post those trail condition reports. And while I now know that you do your rides early (when things are sometimes frozen) - for the sake of clarity - you should include that info (time/frozen) when you post. One time I thought you were out of your gord regarding the ride-ability of MW until you later posted that you ride in the early AM when things were still frozen. Ahhh, but late April is upon so I guess it's a moot point until next winter.

Again, I'm very glad that you post that stuff. Thanks!
Got it. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good to go

I just spent the afternoon at GM and it is in great condition. It is a little wet up by the tower around the north side, but not sloppy by any means. It is rather apparent that a lot
of people rode it while it was muddy though. Deep ruts that will throw you around a little if you don't pay attention and a couple of sections on the west side where they rode about 5' into the grass for quite a distance to avoid mud. It looks like it may have been enough to widen the trail.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yeah, I made it there today, too.

Just got back from a short loop. It was mostly good-to-go, with a wet spot here and there. There were a few stretches of trail that were dried up slop, otherwise it was none the worse for wear

·
Registered
219 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
Just got back from a short loop. It was mostly good-to-go, with a wet spot here and there. There were a few stretches of trail that were dried up slop, otherwise it was none the worse for wear
So which trail was actually dry enough to ride? I went up on Saturday, and it was not ready. The fire road up was fine, but the Hayden trail was basically snow drifted, with a running creek flowing down the trail. I turned back and worked another lap on the fire road.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pretty much the whole thing

OdaNelli said:
So which trail was actually dry enough to ride? I went up on Saturday, and it was not ready. The fire road up was fine, but the Hayden trail was basically snow drifted, with a running creek flowing down the trail. I turned back and worked another lap on the fire road.
I rode Hayden yesterday and it was mostly bone dry. I was basically all over the mountain and it was 95% dry. There were a few wet spots, but not many. They were on the back side, coming up from Rooney.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here's what I rode:

Of course, it's probably all a big mess now with the rain. But on sunday I went up the road on the western side, then came down the hayden trail on the southern side of the mountain back to the zorro lot. Didn't have time for a longer ride. On monday I did the same loop, then took the trail from the western side that goes right up to the summit of the mountain. It was totally dry. I came down the trail that follows the north-western flank of the mountain. Not sure what the name is. It had some wet parts that I walked, but on the whole was very good too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.