Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Best bike I ever owned. You don't sit on it, you wear it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an 01 SC Bullit too, that was a good bike. I would love ride that bike with modern suspension.
That would be great - a bombproof aluminum frame that's playful and fun, with sexy lines. The e-bike iteration's got nothing on the original's looks.

·
change is good
3,215 Posts
First gen Pivot 429. Tough, stiff, fast, and fun. XC or trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,250 Posts
A friend's brother-in-law was a Schwinn engineer back then and got the sweet hook-ups.
The '01 Hardtail was sort of a quest bike for me. The anodized frame weighs 2.6 lbs with the headset. I happened to find a brand new one in the box, in 2014. I absolutely love this bike. Especially as an SS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In your opinion what is the greatest bike made?
Because the best bike is the one you’re riding, I might have mentioned the Fisher CR7, the Yeti FRO, the CBO Fat Bastard Ti, Klein Adroit, Specialized Enduro in all its various incarnations right up to the dual crown fork model, the Maverick, the Pivot 429.
But then I met Chris Porter at Mojo.
In my mind the best in the industry is a bike that’s only been made pretty recently.
I nominate the Geometron G1 from Geometron bikes in Wales.
Basically, the brainchild of Chris Porter (and his team) who, after years of experimentation based entirely on improving handling, came up with the bike that properly popularised the long slack low movement - his G16 released in 2015.
G1 is the revised G16 - an amazingly well balanced bike that fits the rider properly.
the new features are using the EXT shock and using “mutators” that make it very adjustable. Wheel size / head angle / chaibstay length. Your choice.
Of course it works well for Enduro and DH style riding, but it’s also a great bike for days out exploring and for fun XC riding.

Since the latest Specialized bikes (inc the new Levo) are getting close to being carbon copies with steeper head angles, that has to say a lot. They did miss one big thing, though. Chainstays long enough for a tall rider on the larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I can’t say I’ve had many bikes that I didn’t enjoy. About the only one that I realized sucked was my ‘04 RM Slayer. It had a falling rate suspension design, so you either had to set it up so firm it wouldn’t absorb small bumps at all, or soft and violently bottom it all the time.

I had two Santa Cruz Bullits; an 01 and later an 04. I ran an Avalanche DHS on the rear of the latter, and an 06 Marzocchi 66RC2X on the front. My friend made me a custom shock shuttle to slack it out more, and it probably had about a 66 degree HA.

That bike was incredible. It weighed 42 pounds, but would gobble up and handle any and all the stupidity I subjected it to. That fork, I can say without reservation, would put any 2021 fork to shame in terms of feel. Maybe there’s a few coil forks now that could compare; I don’t know. Certainly no air forks could hang with it. The Avalanche shock on the back was bottomless, yet somehow soaked up all the small bumps too. With a few geometry updates, 27.5 wheels, and a 5 pound diet I would still be happy riding a single pivot bike like that.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,960 Posts
if you'd actually bother to read stuff all the way thru once in a while, you'd have seen the part about "in your opinion" not "in the collective groups opinion". but i guess since you didn't pose the mundane question of the day, you don't wanna play along anyway...
Dick much? I’ll answer that for you.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,280 Posts
yup. no secret here...
just found it funny that you can ask what is everyone's favorite jelly they like on their peanut butter sandwich or if people believe in bigfoot or not, but when someone else asks a similar question you find it ridiculous and subjective at best...

·
Registered
624 Posts
The question was "greatest" not "favorite"...

I mean vanilla is the obviously the greatest ice cream flavor, but is it anyone's favorite?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,960 Posts
yup. no secret here...
just found it funny that you can ask what is everyone's favorite jelly they like on their peanut butter sandwich or if people believe in bigfoot or not, but when someone else asks a similar question you find it ridiculous and subjective at best...
Pretty sure, actually I’m positive I never asked anyone either one of those questions. Maybe go check your cereal box for tampering, you’ve been acting out lately.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
This whole question left me completely befuddled. I believe I'll need more than a few beers to contemplate an answer.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts