Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,250 Posts
Chumba - the era after Ted owned them. The new owners were so friendly and never ever threatened to sue anyone.

Ibex. Similar to Chumba, the owner was an amazing guy. He wasn't argumentative or butthurt about anything and his bikes were clearly ahead of their time.

Ellsworth! The bikes were nearly bullet proof. The owner was amazing and customer service was top notch.

Lastly:

Specialized anything. Mike Sinyard has go to be the most ethical person in the bike business. He never ever, not even once stole anyone else's ideas or patents and he was never overly litigious. He never sued little companies out of business. Never ever threatened to sue companies. And for certain he wasn't so petty as to sue prior employees for coloring their bikes red. He's just a stand up guy all around.

That's my list!
'Nuf said!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Every bike has weaknesses or you might never part with it. The bike I loved most for all around riding was my Yeti ASR5C..... but I parted with it because the 5 year frame warranty was expiring and I'd already had the front triangle replaced once on warranty and the rear swingarm replaced twice. Great bike, but not durable enough - I put on a lot of miles though.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,280 Posts
That's all great but there’s no we anyone or a group could name the best mountain bike ever built. Everybody has different tastes in what they like so the question still remains as too subjective to answer.
if you'd actually bother to read stuff all the way thru once in a while, you'd have seen the part about "in your opinion" not "in the collective groups opinion". but i guess since you didn't pose the mundane question of the day, you don't wanna play along anyway...

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,174 Posts
all in all

the greatest bike to me really, was my first tricycle.

the department store/hardware store -bike-

My mom was a saint... diggin up enough money to get me on a ride....on her limited paycheck trying to raise three kids alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late 70s looptail PK Ripper , late 70s Joe Breezer...1st BMX and Mountain bike respectively IMO...then CANNONDALE RAVEN...after that , go crazy ...

·
Live 2 Ride
6,082 Posts
How about a Kona Stinky? And I am surprised no one has mentioned Cannondale. :/

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
How about a Kona Stinky? And I am surprised no one has mentioned Cannondale. :/
Good pick on the Stinky. Here in BC, those were a game changer. Prior to the Stinky we were shearing head tubes off XC bikes left and right.

Reactions: Curveball

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Good pick on the Stinky. Here in BC, those were a game changer. Prior to the Stinky we were shearing head tubes off XC bikes left and right.
Please give us details of the most heinous of injuries kind sir

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,749 Posts
In my opinion the greatest bike ever made was the Santa Cruz Tall Boy Version 3. I didn't own one of these but worked on several and know many people who did.

I think this was closest there has ever been to a bike that does everything well. They made good XC bike, they could hang with Enduro bike on most trails, and most importantly they didn't break. It was also made in a big enough size that they big guys actually had a bike that fit them.

People who had these are starting to move on to other bikes now. When I ask them about their new bikes they all say "It is good but it isn't as good at everything"

In your opinion what is the greatest bike made?
You nailed it! The best do everything Bike made IMO and I’ve ridden many, but it depends on where you live too. I have access to all types of trails in WNC. Put a 130mm with a 2.8in 29er up front.... it’s money!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Didn’t think my ‘01 SC Bullit could be outdone for ride-anywhere fun, but my ‘13 SB 66 was a game changer for me. Just a great bike, but my current SB 130 LR is a much better all-rounder, best bike I’ve ever ridden. So versatile and rolls better on 29” than both of those legendary 26” bikes.

My second pick. Yeti 2013 SB66.

I have never actually seen one of these in person. But it was an early Enduro bike that medalled at DH worlds. That kind of flexibility was unheard of at the time.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Didn’t think my ‘01 SC Bullit could be outdone for ride-anywhere fun, but my ‘13 SB 66 was a game changer for me. Just a great bike, but my current SB 130 LR is a much better all-rounder, best bike I’ve ever ridden. So versatile and rolls better on 29” than both of those legendary 26” bikes.
I had an 01 SC Bullit too, that was a good bike. I would love ride that bike with modern suspension.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts