Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!! Guess what? Yep, I weaseled my way into the Knolly bikes test riding crew on the weekend! Wow, was the weather great!! Definitely the most beautiful weekend of 2004 for the Vancouver area to date.

So, we did a couple of days riding. Knolly bikes blah blah stable blah blah blah handling, blah nimble blah blah blah. It's all been said, right? Everybody needs to run out and buy one. Yeah even all you singlespeeders, weight weenies, cruisers, 29ers, 49ers and 69ers.

I even managed to get one pretty decent photo of Penny (red) getting some light under the tires, although we were having too much fun to stop for pics very often.

On Sunday, I showed up again for another quick lap on a test bike. Now, I was actually on a different bike than on the first day, and it was set up a little differently than the other. Just minor things, like the stem was a little higher, it has an 888 fork and the brake lever reach was set a little longer. Nothing major to prevent a great riding experience.

During the initial descent, I was having a little trouble lofting the front wheel on the drops, so we made some adjustments mid-ride. Once we were moving again, all seemed well.

Moving along, we came upon a ladder to drop that I've done several times in the past. It's probably the toughest move on this medium difficulty Shore trail with about 4ft of air into a fairly jumbly bunch of rocks. Since I was on a new bike, I figured I'd ride up to it and commit to the move only if I felt really balanced and comfortable. There's a bit of a slow speed left turn on the ladder that you need to clean before the drop and that's the last chance to bail out.

Well, I got onto this thing and quite frankly, I've never felt more solid, balanced, stable, etc. going into this move, so I let 'er rip! Yeehaw and all that!!

The next memory I have is of me lying on my back with the wind knocked out of me, trying to communicate with my friends that nothing's broken and able to produce nothing but a pathetic gurgling sound. Apparently my front wheel plummeted to the ground so fast it looked like a magnet sucked it down. After getting assessed from head to toe (I think it was DaveK holding my head in the c-spine position), I decided it was time to move. Also, the rock poking against my ribs was getting pretty uncomfortable.

There were definitely a LOT of sore body parts yelling for attention, but all I could do for the moment was sit up and let my vision clear up. That was a nasty one! I did some more self-assessment and decided to walk out. It was only about 5-10 minutes back up the trail, then a fairly easy double-track back down to the cars.

At a clinic, the doctor thought I was okay, but I should go for some spinal x-rays just to be safe. Since I managed to crack a DH helmet with the top of my head, he figured there could be a spinal injury somewhere. So, off to the hospital for a full set of spinal pics, all the way along, front view, side view - must have been at least a dozen x-rays taken. Chest, too, cause I took a pretty good impact against the stem.

Well, as it turns out, I did in fact hit pretty hard and caused a "wedge compression" of my L1 vertebra. I got scheduled to go back to the hospital the next day for a CT scan, to make sure there weren't any other surprises hiding in there, waiting to crack open the next time I turn my head.

On Monday, got the CT scan and it was good news. No other complications, the compressed disc is stable and my only problem now is that there'll be a few weeks of intense pain until the healing process moves along. So, looks like I'm off the bike for a minimum of 4 weeks, then light spinning only. Doc says 6 weeks for complete healing of the disc.

Looks like I'll have a little free time to surf MTBR!!

See y'all,

Kn.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
eeeyoewch...

Glad you're' OK Ken. I missed the actual event but saw the video at 11 (a.m.) I'm sure it'll turn up here soon. Heal up, T3's, get ready to spin the seawall on your Moko².

I better log off so you can plug up MTBR with non-rider type drivel.

Seriously, glad you're OK. Jim

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Glad to hear that there isn't any permanent damage and that time will heal your injury.

I'd heard from others on the ride about your crash, and how scary it looked.

Let me know if I can help.

Get better soon!

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
We have a piper down... I repeat, a piper is do-wn.

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,760 Posts
you have no choice ... SUE KNOLLY BIKES !!!

wait, you weren't in the USA ... never mind. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your injury, and I'm glad they weren't more serious.
I hope the pain subsides sooner than expected and you're back on the bike sooner as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Phew. Glad to hear it is only 6 weeks for recovery. It is roughly a year ago that I was on a ride that ended in someone paralysed for life after a freak accident. Don't want to hear about another spinal injury in this sport.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Yikes! I thought anyone would be infallible on a Knolly© bike. It felt so smooth & stable. (Maybe Noel will name his next model "The Pope" - "Y'know, its infallible"). Heal up and get back out there soon (but not too soon). Sounds to me like the doctor is prescribing road riding. What'cya gonna get? Huh? Huh? D.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Did you do a demo ride too?

Am I the only local who hasn't tried one yet?
(I'm scared to actually, as I can't afford another new bike this year.)

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
CraigH said:
Did you do a demo ride too?

Am I the only local who hasn't tried one yet?
(I'm scared to actually, as I can't afford another new bike this year.)
I met the group on the Baden Powell climbing up to Pangor (I was with another group riding CBC/Corkscrew/Pingu). Rode about 100 ft on 006_007's demo. Felt great. Talked to Noel about the frame-only aspect and what I would need to buy after stripping parts from the Stinky (eg stem, rear hub, front dereilleur, seatpost). Don't know if I can work the financial side. (After all, I *DO* need a new frame). D.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
LOL! I like your new signature. Wouldn't that be worms, though?

Why would you need a new stem? If you use the same fork, is that due to different top tube length? I'd guess the medium Trevor was on would be small for you.

I didn't realize that the V-tach used a wider than standard rear hub.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Crash.

It's always a dangers sport. Most of the time we walk away unharm. But every once in a while we hit somthing hard that stops the bouncing. Heal up hope to see you on the trails later in the year.

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
Remember, the 888 only helps if the front wheel lands before you do.

I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good. Obviously you made appropriate calls with your post crash care. Do take it easy as you get back into things. Does you Dr. know how heavy an ff helmut is?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am glad your going to be ok. Take it easy on those stunts....I want to be able to bomb down some singletrack with you again.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
CraigH said:
LOL! I like your new signature. Wouldn't that be worms, though?

Why would you need a new stem? If you use the same fork, is that due to different top tube length? I'd guess the medium Trevor was on would be small for you.

I didn't realize that the V-tach used a wider than standard rear hub.
Not sure about Knolly's comments ... just going from memory. Here is the parts kit offered by Knolly:

http://www.knollybikes.com/msrp.html

Sizing is a little touch-and-go - I believe JimC was riding a large, which all agreed fit him better. (I think that's what happened).

Signature was something this old guy hiking up Severed said to Matt and me while we stopped to talk. You have so say it in a German accent for full effect. D.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yep large

technically a medium is right but, if i sit on each one, the medium cockpit is too small for my torso. I'm on a large Bullit and lg Enduro as well. Jim (short stubby legs, monster long torso)C

1 - 20 of 37 Posts